Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

ASN Fantastic!

Wow, sounds impressive but is it really much/any different than former releases from HiFi, Opus, even REX E+ (which works quite well I find)?  Hard to believe there could be such major differences.  Can someone highlight the fundamental differences that contrast it against other weather products?

Noel, I feel absolutely secure in stating, that you will answer your own question...if you first run OPUS to drive weather for your flight plan, and then let it depict for about 5 minutes in.... (if you have it), and then while your flight is in pause mode, shut it down, and then fire up the trial ASN, to take over weather injector duties.  You will then see why much verbiage has been expended for the thumb's up approval comments...

Noel, I feel absolutely secure in stating, that you will answer your own question...if you first run OPUS to drive weather for your flight plan, and then let it depict for about 5 minutes in.... (if you have it), and then while your flight is in pause mode, shut it down, and then fire up the trial ASN, to take over weather injector duties.  You will then see why much verbiage has been expended for the thumb's up approval comments...

Sounds compelling.   I guess the P3D V2 compatible installer is coming sometime so may wait til then as I'm not adding anything more for FSX currently.  Thanks!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Suddenly, the word DEVIATE has now become meaningful and far reaching in its use in FSX with possible implications.

Fire up those WXR

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Wow, sounds impressive but is it really much/any different than former releases from HiFi, Opus, even REX E+ (which works quite well I find)?  Hard to believe there could be such major differences.  Can someone highlight the fundamental differences that contrast it against other weather products?

I've never tried Opus or REX E+, but I own AS2012 and it's a huge improvement over that.  Here are the biggest differences IMO:

1)  Bad weather is BAD WEATHER.  AS2012 can make bad *looking* weather, but my experience is that it's never too treacherous to fly through.  Even in the middle of a huge thunderstorm the clouds don't have any real density and you can usually see splotches of the terrain below.  Not so with ASN.  There's no visibility whatsoever, and when conditions merit the plane is sure to be tossed around.

2)  "Cloud popping" is all but gone.  Now I have noticed some cloud pops on rare occasions, but I'm pretty sure it's only happening when I don't inform ASN of my flight plan in advance.  I also have a sub-standard machine for FSX, so that could be the real problem.  In any case ASN is a vast improvement over its predecessor in this regard.

3)  Terrain affects the weather.  I never noticed more than a couple "bumps" in AS2012 when flying over mountains, through canyons, etc.  Again, not so with ASN.  Even when it's clear and looks calm outside, you need to pay attention to the weather unless you want to end up decorating the side of a mountain.

Bottom line:  AS2012 paints bitmaps of clouds in the sky.  ASN creates weather.  

Before ASN, I never took weather conditions (beyond setting the barometer) into consideration when planning my flight.  More clouds, less clouds, it didn't really matter.  Now that I know it's possible to wind up in a dangerous situation, the weather has taken on a new importance.  And that, for me, takes the experience to a new level and makes it more fun than ever.

Richard P. Kelly

Very simply and very well put!

The visuals can vary depending on whose clouds sets but the underlying WEATHER is the key.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

ASN is the best weather engine I've tried! It's so realistic with turbulence up/downdrafts & the Wx representation is amazing.

For the first time in a long time I've had trouble free online flights with the actual correct weather :good:

No overspending, severe wind shifts, wrong METAR's, wrong surface winds...etc. that I got with REX!

Stop it, you're killing me!! I've been soo happy with Opus... argh.. yet another add-on to buy now then..  <_<

Stop it, you're killing me!! I've been soo happy with Opus... argh.. yet another add-on to buy now then..  <_<

I love this weather war...capitalism at it's finest.  :lol: 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Stop it, you're killing me!! I've been soo happy with Opus... argh.. yet another add-on to buy now then..

Try it for yourself.  That's the beauty of the 7 day trial.  If you're still happy with what you're using, no worries and no cost.

I love this weather war...capitalism at it's finest.

Competition at it's finest!

Scott

I just downloaded trail and flew first flight and had no issues at all. I will try a few more flights before I buy. I have been having issues with wind shifts with other software so I hope this won't be the case with ASN. So far

I love it.....

Tom

Tom Davis

I7 6700k 4.7 ghz, gtx 1080ti , 16gb 3400 ram, 32’’ 2k monitor, 1TB ssd, 500gb ssd, 250gb ssd, h115 water cooler

UAL440.png

This is now my 2nd post here in these forums, and I feel compelled to make it.

This evening in the 73NGX over the Alamosa VOR (JFK-LAX) at FL380, with Denver Center on liveatc, I heard FedEx report in moderate steady chop at 380. About 20 seconds after that, my PFD started stuttering......never thought I would be so happy to see a 'stutter' in FSX in my life! Moderate chop all the way to the other side of the mountain....followed this Fedex to the visual 25L with a HUGE grin on my face.

THANK YOU ASN !!!

Last night, I was just messing around in Dino's fanatastic F-35  flying at mach1 along the waters edge off the Italian coast on up to the Cote d'Azure and it was heavy cloud cover mixed with rain. Great performance and not a single cloud pop. Also hit occasional updrafts and turbulence off the cliffs. Really unbelievable! This weather engine is a real winner!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

ASN is the best weather engine I've tried! It's so realistic with turbulence up/downdrafts & the Wx representation is amazing.

For the first time in a long time I've had trouble free online flights with the actual correct weather :good:

No overspending, severe wind shifts, wrong METAR's, wrong surface winds...etc. that I got with REX!

Well,....what is really troubling about ASN, that I have found in its use of the last few days....is that it is REALLY cutting into my coffee/FSX time.  More than I am happy with,...for now I actually have to FLY the airplane...bummer...  ;)   The coffee  FSX set on autopilot and forget mode, was good while it lasted over those many prior weather injectors...but now.....  Ignore what's happening around you...and you will experience your virtual end.....  This conflicts with drinking warm coffee...  I will adjust....I always do....  :)

This program is the 'Best Thing Since Sliced Bread' your mama's been talk'n 'bout.   YEE HAW!  *shakes around the cockpit with 140 mph winds hammering the 737*   "Shut up back there FSPAX!   No one asked your opinion of my flying through turbulence!   Here, have another round of drinks and some chips and chill out!"

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Just checking in here to say how amazing ASN is. I'm flying a real flight Air France Cargo 777F LFPG-KORD and on approach to KORD I hear over liveatc.net that pilots are complaining of turbulence between FL200-300

ASN modeled this great, in around the same areas as the complaints in real life! Wow!