Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

FS9 FDE Tweaks ?

Hi Folks,

I recently purchased the 208 for FS9 - yeah - there are still a few of us... The visual model is beautiful - as always... The FDE - eh - seems marginal at best... The plane is difficult to fly by the numbers and it SPRINGS into the air at 80 knots... Even with full back on the elevator - the nose won't even start to rotate until 80 knots... You should able to lift the nose by 70 knots... Then way too suddenly - you are climbing like a bat out of hell... If you fly the recommended approach speed - you're way behind the power curve and the nose pitches up as if you are not generating enough lift...

So - can someone compare notes with me on the performance in FSX ??? Do you see similiar flight characteristics ??? Did Bernt ever make a new FDE for this plane and would how much effort would be required to convert to FS9 ??? I'm pretty familiar with aircraft.cfg and even poked around the "air" files a few times... Could someone suggest some tweaks to improve performance ???

Anyway - thanks for taking the time to read this - I'd appreciate any help provided...

:)

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the world of Carenado's 208. I have the FSX version (not the updated HD one which I think ONLY updates the texturing and not the depth of systems modelling) and found the original FDE pretty boring. Bernt Stolle has an updated FSX FDE which is available on the Carenado website - its better, but still not the most exciting, but at least seems to fly by the few numbers I've been able to discover online. Yes, Carenado don't exactly excell in the manuals department.

I haven't flown it for a few weeks, and I'm not quite sure when I can lift the nose on takeoff, but it certainly doesn't "leap into the air" and has a pretty fluid motion, both on takeoff and landing. Definitely better than the default 208, or the default Carenado FDE!

Of course, your challenge is to convert it to your "dinosaur" flightsim ;-) I'll keep an eye on this thread, and if I can be of any help, just ask. I'll fire it up, maybe this evening, and remind myself how it flies. I also have a couple of links I picked up (possibly here on AVSIM?) from real 208 pilots, but you may already have sourced that info.

Regards,

Mac

SkipperMac

Hi Mac,

Thanks for taking the time to respond...

I'll have to see if I can get the aircraft.cfg and air file for Bernt's version - I may not have access to the download on the Carenado site because I purchased the FS9 version but I'll check...

I did find the option mentioned to remove the 3D knobs in the FSX version - and - I truly hope Carenado had the foresight to include that in the FS9 version... I'll check tonight as well... I have the full suite of RXP gauges which really need to be replace the ones supplied...

I did swap out my Carenado GNS430 for the RXP GNS430W already but it appears Carenado coded the HSI to work with their custom GPS... I can't seem to get the RXP one to drive their HSI...

Certainly appreciate any info you can pass along - as I'm always interested in having aircraft perform as realistically as possible...

Yes - lol - we're now the red headed stepchild of the MSFS world...

:)

Regards,

Scott

Hi Folks,

OK - now I've gone and done it - I purchased "Air Wrench" last night as it seems to be the tool of choice to modify FDE's... Initial impression - seems like a pretty slick little tool....

While I don't have access to Bernt's Carenado FDE for the 208 (I'll email Carenado) - I did find the 208 FDE he made for the FSX default 208... It seemed like a good starting point and air wrench converted it readily enough from FSX to FS9... Now - it doesn't appear to be a seamless transition - as some aspects needed work - but - I think some of the most important data such as engine performance has been retained properly...I'll certainly take any tips anyone would be willing to pass along...

So - would anyone have any real world metrics or experience flying these planes ? I've already figured out how to modify some of the specifics that are associated with the issues I listed above - but - I noticed some substantial differences between the Stollle and Carenado FDE's...

For example - if you got to "Wide open Throttle"  on the Stolle FDE it prevents the "Torque" from going into the red zone - while the Carenado FDE - WOT pegs the Torque to max deflection... I'm assuming Bernt's model is more accurate ? They have some type of torque limiter control to prevent over torque ???

In the real plane - if you back off the throttle to a minimum approach setting and you maintain a 500 FPM descent with pitch - what airpseed should you be seeing ??? On the FDE I'm modifying - I adjusted it so it holds at 80 Knots with a power off 500 FPM descent... If I pitch for 1000 FPM - I'm seeing about 100 knots... Does that seem appropriate ?

Anyway - stuff like that - gladly hear from anyone with experience in these planes...

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott. Congrats on acquiring the 208, and for tackling the FDE. I haven't had a chance to take the 208 up again, but once you have your FDE "in beta testing" post some more data and I'll compare with my Stolle/Carenado combo in FSX.

Here's some info from real 208 pilots I cut n pasted - think they came from this forum so if you dive down deep enough you should come across them.

================

On any turboprop engine you have torque, temp, and engine rpm limits. on takoff push the power up untill you either torque out or temp out. rotate at 75 climb at 500 feet a minute unless atc asks for something else. the climb is the same. for cruise and descent I pull the prop back to 1850 rpm and use 1500 pounds torque, 700 degrees, or 100 percent engine rpm, whatever happens first.flying approaches in the caravan i use 10 flaps, 1100 pounds torque gives you 120 kts, for the ILS bring the prop back to max and about 700 pounds torque will maintain 120 kts.Here's the link to the post, there is more info here:

This from my kneeboard, whcih I think was actually written by FedEx Caravan Pilot.Just copy and paste it into the `notes` page and you're setFrom my more than 600 hours in the real Caravan, here's what I can remember... I fly the default Caravan off these numbers, and it works just fine. The only thing I find wrong is it doesnt slow down as fast as the real airplane. In the real Caravan, ESPECIALLY the ones with the composite prop, when you go to flight idle the airplane STOPS! Anywho...Takeoff: 1865lbs of torque. You will notice a little red line in about the 4 o'clock position on the guage. In the real airplane, it says "T.O." in little letters.. Climb: About 1600lbs of torque. Also check your ITT.. Climb, Cruise, and Decent ITT limit is 740, so whatever torque setting keeps under that.Cruise: anywhere between 1400 and 1600lbs.. Most of the time we run our Caravans at 1450. That keeps the ITT below 700, and gives you right at 160kts. Also, we never moved the prop from 1900rpm...Decent: Hauling cargo, we were always "balls to the walls", but about 1200lbs of torque will keep you below redline at 500'/minute down.Approach: here's where it gets tricky. about 1200-1500 lbs of torque when your at your initial approach altitude. You can put flaps 10 all the way up to red line, so put them out before you reach the outer marker. When you intercept the glideslope, power back to 1000 and LEAVE it there. Throw out flaps 20 at 150, and flaps 30 at 125. It should keep you on the glideslope in about the 100kt range. We would normally shoot approaches in the 120/130kt range... I think alot of people's problem is flying the Caravan TOO slow in FS.Landing: There is no formula for that.... just chop the power and PRAY!The PT-6 has a BIG lag in them, and you have to be ahead of it. When you make power settings, go to a value you know works and leave it there. Hunting power settings in the real Caravan will get you killed on approach.Anywho, I hope this helps! I miss flying the real airplane, and MS did a good job (in my opinion) on their Caravan!ChasW 

================

Hope some of that gives you a bit of a steer as to what you should be seeing.

Mac

SkipperMac

Hi Mac,

Thanks for the info and insights - I've been doing this MSFS thing since monochrome and this is the deepest I've ever been into an air file... No guarantee I'll produce anything useful - but - we'll give it a try...

;)

Regards,

Scott