Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Moving map for FSX. Latest recommendations?

I LOVE PlanG, not least in its v3 incarnation with its Google Earth type map view.. but I am so fed up with the programme crashing or stopping working in some way (user a/c suddenly sticks in one place). I and others have posted on the PlanG forum (and as it's freeware I hate to sound as if I am complaining there!) but I have come to the conclusion that unless Tim Arnot pays me a visit and sees what is going wrong on my PC, the problems are never going to be sorted.

I'm not asking for help here with PlanG of course, just to ask what folks might recommend if I install another map. It should be freeware, as I rarely fly FSX (99% FS9, where I use FS Navigator) and if possible have the same Google Earth like map as a possibility (though I think I am going to be lucky to get that!).

I've also tried FSW G-Map by the way, but have been using PlanG which I prefer.

Have Googled this but would like some recommendations, as I say, before I start installing stuff.

Thanks!

Martin

I use FSTramp, simple and effective with a moving map and other functionality.

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

RemoteFlight Map on the iPad. Tricky to get running, but very nice and allows export of flight plans from FSX to show route on the map.

PlanG is good for VFR. To avoid freezing I restart plan-g and FSX every couple of flights. If you keep FSX under the same flight and do another takeoff and flight, etc -  Plan-g "thinks" its the same flight, and with too much data acumulated it gets slow eventually almost freezing.

I use FSCommander for IFR

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

I've had a love-hate relationship with Plan-G starting with v2.. However, since I've moved it to a second computer and started runing it remotely it's been a pure joy. 

Still sometimes slow to refresh, but no more script errors or crashes..

Ernest Pergrem

Don't have iPad or similar, so that option is not open to me. (Should have asked for one for Christmas!). FSCommander is really too expensive for the use I would get out of it (so many addons on my list: I have to prioritise). The free version switches off after 30 minutes apparently, which is quite generous, but I need something that will last for a whole flight. FSTramp is not freeware either.. I do spend huge sums (my family thinks) on FS, it's my main hobby after all, but as I say, I don't use FSX enough (just for 'special sceneries' that I can't get in FS9, like the Aerosoft Antartica) to justify the outlay. I would not want to change from FS Navigator for FS9 BTW - I've used it since it came out...

For now, will have to stick with PlanG I suppose and if it stops working, it stops working...

Thanks,

Martin

Martin,

If you have a spare PC or laptop why not use FS Earth? It outputs the aircraft's position and you then use Google Earth to display it. You can use it on a single PC but a networked one is better.

It's reasonably priced too. http://www.wideview.it/fsearth/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You can use it on a single PC but a networked one is better..

In what way, 'better' Ray? I could use a laptop, yes, if necessary, but my FS PC is reasonably high spec, if that's the consideration.

Thanks.

LATER: Idiot that I am, I suddenly realise I have FS Earth Link already!! :wub:  I bought it several years ago!! I have never combined it with FSWide though and used it networked, only on the same PC (2 monitors), so the above question still stands.

Haven't tried it in FSX either - do I have to install it separately for FSX? I will have to go and investigate in the meantime - I can't get the programme to centre on my a/c, but I have the manual to remind me how to set things (I haven't used it for ages!) ...

A nice alternative to FSEarth that you can use on your primary PC is FSXGet: http://fsxget.codeplex.com/

It runs in the tray and overlays your position in Google Earth, and can also display AI traffic. I use it primarily while beta testing to verify scenery against GE imagery, and it works great.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it's freeware.

For flight planning and moving map work, I primarily use FSCommander.

It also works with P3D V1.4 and V2 without any hackery or voodoo magic. :rolleyes:

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

LATER: Idiot that I am, I suddenly realise I have FS Earth Link already!! :wub: I bought it several years ago!! I have never combined it with FSWide though and used it networked, only on the same PC (2 monitors), so the above question still stands.

FSWide is a separate application and not required for FSEarth. I haven't tried it on the same PC as FSX as it's taking resources away from FS. As it doesn't require SimConnect or WideFS it's very simple to setup. It certainly benefits from a full screen display.

Haven't tried it in FSX either - do I have to install it separately for FSX? I will have to go and investigate in the meantime - I can't get the programme to centre on my a/c, but I have the manual to remind me how to set things (I haven't used it for ages!) ...

Yes, requires a separate purchase for FSX compared to FS9. The larger the display the better really. I also assign two buttons via FSUIPC for zooming in and out.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have installed it into FSX but not tried it out yet. Seems, from what you say, I'll need to purchase a separate license from the FS9 one?

That's OK, but I am having problems setting up the FS9 version (for which I did buy a license, as I say). Yes, I used it on one PC, which I prefer, so didn't need FSWide. When running FS9 and FSX I still have lots of free resources, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I have posted to the FSE forum, as I just can't get it to zoom in on where my a/c is - it chooses soemwhere in the middle of the ocean instead. Thread is here:

http://www.wideview.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1216

I'll have a look at FSX GE Tracker too, thanks.

Hmmm, it should just work if you're running it on the same PC as FS9. Go into the FSE settings and change the altitude option. Try fixed at 30000ft. I'd also stick to windowed mode for now, not full screen.

You have started FS Earth haven't you? First option on its menu drop-down.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Installed FSXGet and I have an icon in the system tray. Started up Google Earth... but what do I do now? Can't find any instructions anywhere and I don't get anything in GE: I am not even sure what I am supposed to see there. Is it like FS Earth, with an icon?  I am not using it in network mode..

Tried to activate (the FS9 version) again: kept getting errors (code not valid). Tried manual mode. Same result, but I persevered and finally the activation went through in auto (online mode). No idea why first attempts didn't work. Anyhow, FSE now zooms into my user a/c, so I should be able to recall the rest, hopefully. Will post back if not.. :-)  Thanks.

Installed FSXGet and I have an icon in the system tray. Started up Google Earth... What now? Can't find any instructions anywhere.

Don't start Google Earth seperately.

1. Right-click the FSXGet tray icon and select Start Google Earth (after FSX is running and FSXGet indicates it is connected)

2. In the Google Earth sidebar, a temporary location called My Aircraft should be available. Double-click on it and Google Earth will fly to your plane's location.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato