Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Moving map for FSX. Latest recommendations?

FSXGet: OK, found a thread in the end (via Google) which explained what to do, so it's running. Looks great: I'll use FS Earth for FS9 (though mostly I expect I will continue to use FS Navigator: old habits die hard) and FSXGet in FSX.

Thanks for the tips and heads up..

M.

I use FSCommander for flight planning, but prefer PlanG for a moving map usage. I have never had a crash with PlanG, although I have used it for hours on end. Since it is freeware, there is no harm of trying it on your system to see if you have problems or not.

Henri

Henri Arsenault

If you like real aeronautical charts (sectionals, IFR hi\lo enroute, etc.), try BlueSkyScenery's moving map display tool. Free, and also has AI and weather overlays.

John

Henri, I use PlanG but it's not reliable - that's why I posted. Now I am using FSGet in FSX and FS Earth - plus the trusty FS Navigator - in FS. May buy FS Earth for FSX too at some stage, but as I still can't see any user icon in the FS9 version (which is a bit annoying - no answer yet from FSE support)...

Martin

I've always used the in-flight map display included with FS Flight Keeper (FSFK).  Full FSUIPC/WideFS integration running on my Client PC.  The live map uses data collected by a scenery scanning utility so it shows the exact scenery data you use in FS (i.e. AFCAD data)  which is very useful for taxing at the larger airports.  It also depicts all my AI traffic (both on the ground and in the air).  Not nearly as nice as a Google Satellite background but it does come with basic topo ground textures.  Thomas Molitare keeps it quit up-to-date supporting the newest aircraft as they come along for logging and events.  This program has served me very well for almost 10 years.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Ok, I will Google FSFK, thanks.

I am trying to use FSXGet, but it doesn't follow the user aircraft - it just disappears off the Google Earth page and that's it. Can't see any options to get this to work. The only post I can see about it is very old:

http://fsxget.codeplex.com/discussions/14529

I would buy a license for the FSX version FS Earth, but I first want to resolve the problem in FS9 of there being no user a/c shown on the map interface. No one has answered my support request at the forum (and as this is payware that's a bit annoying), which puts me off sending more money! Maybe I need to wait a bit longer, it's only a couple of days, and it is Christmas time, but the forum seems almost dead and I am not confident I will get a reply there: maybe someone here could kindly help me with that issue?

http://www.wideview.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1216

Thanks,

Martin

LATER: I tried FS Earth with FSX at PANC and the user a'/c icon is there (still not in FS9), but the map is not following the plane there either. It was OK yesterday for heaven's sake. Sometimes I seem to spend SO much more time troubleshooting this sort of stuff than flying (something new every time I start the PC!!) that I just want to shut the computer off and do something else!!!

Martin,

I don't think Luciano visits very often as there are few problems to sort out.

First, on your FS Earth menu check About and Register shows you have a registered version.

Next, check your settings. Here are mine.

post-100288-0-09673200-1387464284.jpg

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for looking at this Ray.

As I say, trying to sort out FS9 before I buy FSE for FSX (which I probably will, as, when it's working, it works better than any of the alternatives as far as I can see)... yes, I have a registered version of FSE.

Will I get a reply if I email info@wideview.it, do you think?

My Options window looks pretty much the same as yours, but there is still no user a/c icon. I have checked a dozen times that the png files are in the folder indicated, and they open OK, showing little a/c icons, in any image viewer or Photoshop.

What do all the hundreds of little white a/c symbols represent? They don't move (and I don't have AI traffic enabled in FSE).

post-110788-0-07551000-1387469177.jpg

Martin

And now, only 15 minutes after writing that, I can't use FS Earth at all as it tells me I have an unregistered version!! Well, it has been showing as registered for the past few days, so why has it unregistered itself? How often, trying to troubleshoot one problem, do I find that things that were OK when I started out suddenly go awry and I end up worse off than before!!

OK, so I now have to look up the registration key and register again!! (LATER: Done!),

The only logical explanation I can think of is that there are malicious little gremlins in my PC that hate me and are out to get me!

:angry: :mad:  :angry:  :mad:

(By the way, in FSX at PANC (so far, FSE unregistered version) I have no problem - the user a/c icon shows fine. So far, anyway.. I hardly dare go back and look again!!).

As far as following the aircraft in FSXGet goes, there is no option in the FSXGet interface that sets it for you.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to Google Earth right now to tell you what setting to change in order for it to center itself on the FSXGet injected aircraft symbol, but there is one.

Tonight I'll find it and let you know.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Thanks! I'll have another look meanwhile in Google Earth - I didn't find anything first go, but maybe I missed it...

I have now bought a license for FS Earth FSX, as I don't seem to have any issues with it in FSX.

Hi Martin,

Move well away from PANC to ensure you're not running an unregistered version. I have found a bug where if you have a flight plan loaded in FSEarth your aircraft icon disappears. Remove the flight plan and it reappears. It must be a bug but as you've found out Luciano is not brilliant at support.

By all means try emailing him. You have paid for it and are entitled to support. I have no idea what all the white dots are. Ai aircraft on mine are coloured magenta.

It might be worth running a virus scan. Products should not randomly deregister.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi,

I run FSCommander via a networked computer.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Ray, most of the testing wasn't anywhere near PANC. For now, both the FS9 and FSX installations of FSE (I just bought a license for the FSX one, as you might have read) show as 'registered version'.

Apart from the icon 'no show' in FS9, they seem to be working fine. (Hope my PC gremlins haven't seen me writing that!)

I have emailed Luciano about the icon, so we shall see!

Martin

Glad your sorted Martin. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather