Sign in to follow this  
styckx

MipMaps actually work right! [pictures]

I saw in another thread A2A is telling people to disable cockpit panel mips which got my brain churning... FSX is notoriously awful handing Mips and no one uses them.  Does this mean??? YES!

MIPMAPS ACTUALLY FUNCTION OUT OF THE BOX IN V2!! NO BLUR!

I converted the textures of a Carenado 182T textures w/ Mips and edited each layer (except the top layer) of the mip chain with a different color.

lYsmrJb.jpg

z8THxl7.jpg

WDvihZ0.jpg

sUF8EMU.jpg

Zb4P0n3.jpg

This is best news out of V2 I've seen yet!!

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Wow !

Thanks for testing..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I'm soooooooo stoked about this..  Converting my hanger is going to be a long process but it will be completely worth the effort. Oh happy days!!  :dance:​ 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

The second picture looks stunning. B)

How did you convert a Carenado 182T to use Mips?

Best regards from RelaxX

The second picture looks stunning. B)

How did you convert a Carenado 182T to use Mips?

Just do exactly the opposite of what all the repaint guides tell you not to do.. Actually save your texture with Mips.. This alone warrants strictly v2 only planes.. And v2 only repaints..     :Hypnotized:   :yahoo:

2wJPz4M.jpg

Those images look really nice, but what does MipMap exactly do in this case? Or what is MipMap anyway? Sorry for my ignorance...    Never mind, I did some google and I now understand what kind of the test Bill was doing.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Those images look really nice, but what does MipMap exactly do in this case? Or what is MipMap anyway? Sorry for my ignorance...

I'm using a cat picture as an example because I think it would be rude to post a developers default unedited texture.

Imagine the left most image is 4096x4096

Currently.. No matter if the camera is 1inch away from your plane, or 100ft away.. It's still rendering that 4096x4096 texture which is just wasteful and can cause aliasing.   Now, as you move away from the object it transitions to the lower resolution textures to the right..  Hence the blending of colors in my first post.

Direct link to picture: http://i.imgur.com/U4jLZK4.jpg

Edit: Just saw your edit.. I'll leave this post here for others who might not understand.

Edit: Just saw your edit.. I'll leave this post here for others who might not understand.

Thanks for that! ^_^

Wow.....very good work!  Congratulations on discovering a new element.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I am curious about the jaggy shadow of the rear tail wing in the second picture - is that an artifact of the MIPS process?

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

So from a performance standpoint, is this beneficial?

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I am curious about the jaggy shadow of the rear tail wing in the second picture - is that an artifact of the MIPS process?

No. That's a side affect of the plane itself in DX11 shadows. Not all are like this.. (I actually deleted and reinstalled it to verify after you pointed that shadow out)

For example.. Here is the Carenado 210 that I just installed. It has the same problem and I've yet to convert..  The wing shadows though are straight as an arrow. The DX11 shadows might be picking up the little ridges in the control surfaces..

LtFEdFG.jpg

So from a performance standpoint, is this beneficial?

You're not going to go from 9FPS to 9000FPS by any means..  You may see no actual performance differences. It's just less overhead, more efficient and less likely to see shimmering..   This is how aircraft textures should have been in FSX but unfortunately adding mips to  aircraft in FSX cause it to be super blurry. It never showed the top mip layer no matter what you did.

No. That's a side affect of the plane itself in DX11 shadows. Not all are like this.. (I actually deleted and reinstalled it to verify after you pointed that shadow out)

For example.. Here is the Carenado 210 that I just installed. It has the same problem and I've yet to convert..  The wing shadows though are straight as an arrow. The DX11 shadows might be picking up the little ridges in the control surfaces..

LtFEdFG.jpg

You're not going to go from 9FPS to 9000FPS by any means..  You may see no actual performance differences. It's just less overhead, more efficient and less likely to see shimmering..   This is how aircraft textures should have been in FSX but unfortunately adding mips to  aircraft in FSX cause it to be super blurry. It never showed the top mip layer no matter what you did.

Showing my absolute lack of knowledge here. Would this potentially give a performance boost (i.e. less overhead) to correctly detailed AI traffic?

Showing my absolute lack of knowledge here. Would this potentially give a performance boost (i.e. less overhead) to correctly detailed AI traffic?

Somewhat.

There was a batch file to mipmap all UT2 aircraft in FSX. It looked better (way less shimmering on liveries like American) and performed a little better.