Sign in to follow this  
Kattz

Change in the FMS/CDU Layout Question

Hi, team,

I did a search on this and didn't see anything, so...

I was going to purchase a used OpenCockpits CDU for the NGX, and had to wait because I had other bills to pay.  However, my lovely spousal unit bought me a used Flight Deck Solutions CDU.  This piece of hardware is awesome, and makes flying the NG-series 737 a real breeze.  Immersive as well.

Having said all of that, I am under the impression that there is a RL version of the 737 CDU that is similar to the T7 and other Boeing aircraft, in that there is a NAV RADIO key where I believe the FIX key is now and the FIX key is relocated to another position.  FDS will eventually update the system software to use the CDU with either the 737 or the 777 in the same unit and the keys will carry the correct mapping for the RL aircraft.

My question is can, or will, PMDG model this CDU in a later possible update to the NGX platform?  That would prevent users like me from having to "remember" one key layout for one aircraft type versus the keys matching up to another aircraft type.  I ask this question with the realization that my group of users with hardware CDU's, regardless of maker, is probably rather small.

Best,

Kevin

Having said all of that, I am under the impression that there is a RL version of the 737 CDU in RL that is similar to the T7 and other Boeing aircraft, in that there is a NAV RADIO key where I believe the FIX key is now and the FIX key is relocated to another position

I've never heard of this.  Can't find it in any of my reference material, either.  As such, I doubt it.

That's not to say it doesn't exist, or PMDG won't do it, but if there's no real world counterpart, it's very unlikely.

Kyle Rodgers

I've never heard of this.  Can't find it in any of my reference material, either.  As such, I doubt it.

That's not to say it doesn't exist, or PMDG won't do it, but if there's no real world counterpart, it's very unlikely.

Hi, Kyle,

I didn't know it existed either until I saw it referenced either in the FDS forums or on the NGX Tutorial #2 I flew this weekend.  Still sweating bullets...

OK, it's in the Sim Avionics setup for the FDS unit in a .ini file

0=737 CDU

1=737 CDU with NAV RAD

So, is this a RL config?  As with Kyle, I can't find it... yet.  Maybe not RL.

I am pretty sure the real 737 does not have NAV RAD, since it has all the radios on the pedestal. I will check though.

edit: yep. No NAV RAD button there as far as I can tell.

So, is this a RL config?

Suffice it to say, if you find something on a sim site "realistic," it should be taken with monstrous grains of salt.  Sounds more like the hardware manufacturer is making concessions to make the FMC marketable to a wider audience of Boeing fans.

Kyle Rodgers

At AA our CDU key layout is different from that in the NGX.  It is similar to the 777 in that the Climb, Cruise and Descent buttons are replaced with a single "VNAV" key.  The "FIX" button is also in a different location.  There is no NAV/RAD button as there is no auto tuning of the nav radios.

What's that FMC COMM key's function?