Sign in to follow this  

Hello,

I experienced this issue several times yesterday as I was flying over Spain in the Pamplona area. The METAR was CAVOK. I was flying at 5000 ft and started my descent. The visibility was clear down below but when I reached 4500 ft I crossed a 1500 foot thick  haze layer and then  was in clear conditions again. It is strange because before starting my descent there was no haze at all below me.

What can I do to avoid this?

Thank you

I've had this same issue except I was descending into a 1/4 visibility airport. When coming down into it, I could see everything below nice an clear. Once I reached a lower altitude, everything became foggy as it should be. It bugged me that when flying above, I couldn't see any fog, it was clear below.

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

I've had this same issue except I was descending into a 1/4 visibility airport. When coming down into it, I could see everything below nice an clear. Once I reached a lower altitude, everything became foggy as it should be. It bugged me that when flying above, I couldn't see any fog, it was clear below.

In fact your problem is slighly different from mine because you did not see what you were supposed to see according to the METAR whereas I saw what I was not supposed to see according to the METAR :huh: . The common grounds are:

1) the cloud layer was not visible from above

2) we haven't got any reply from Hifi :O

I've posted the same question on the Hifi forum. Maybe I will be luckier there

I have had the similar experience. The fog/haze/visibility layer just disappears when you climb up. I looks pretty stupid to suddenly see the ground below (and everywhere). One option is to turn on FSX's ugly default haze layer but it looks almost as unreal when it suddenly disappears/appears at some point. And it seems to be brighter and its color doen't match with ASN's fog.

This makes me think if it's possible to make a fake fog layer like that why cannot turn it upside down when above the ceiling.. ok.. maybe it's not that simple but think about it...

To see the effect get your favourite plane to Zurich LSZH, turn on historical weather  @ 18 Dec 1220 Zulu time.

(Metar should be @POS 181220Z 27003KT 230V340 6000 NSC 02/M00 Q1024 NOSIG)

Sooner or later I'll switch to P3D. It has volumetric fog that should solve this kind of issues. I just hope ASN's P3D version is free of charge for FSX version owners.

Cheers,

Kati H

AMD Ryzen 5800x3d | 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | RTX 3080 | 3440x1440

Sooner or later I'll switch to P3D. It has volumetric fog that should solve this kind of issues. I just hope ASN's P3D version is free of charge for FSX version owners.

Yes - the license covers both FSX and P3D.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

This issue peeves me the most from all the payware weather engines. When asked about this issue, one claims that from above, you can see through the fog. That is why they used 7/8 broken stratus clouds to "top off" the fog layers. So then why is P3D using volumetric fog to depict fog layers. Fog is like a liquid, you have to see it covering the surface from the air. That being said, to not see anything and then descend into the soup? that is weird.

I have had the similar experience. The fog/haze/visibility layer just disappears when you climb up. I looks pretty stupid to suddenly see the ground below (and everywhere). One option is to turn on FSX's ugly default haze layer but it looks almost as unreal when it suddenly disappears/appears at some point. And it seems to be brighter and its color doen't match with ASN's fog.

This makes me think if it's possible to make a fake fog layer like that why cannot turn it upside down when above the ceiling.. ok.. maybe it's not that simple but think about it...

To see the effect get your favourite plane to Zurich LSZH, turn on historical weather  @ 18 Dec 1220 Zulu time.

(Metar should be @POS 181220Z 27003KT 230V340 6000 NSC 02/M00 Q1024 NOSIG)

Cheers,

Kati H

Hello,

I got a reply from the official forum. They told me to install their patch and to install the latest version of FSUIPC. But it hasn't fixed the problem. Clear skies and then I fly through a haze layer when descending. That is not good. The matter of the fact is that I've  never experienced this with activesky evolution. Let's hope HIFI finds a solution!

On my last day of my 7 day trial of ASNXT.  This issue is making me hesitant to purchase this software.  However,  I think they have done an incredible job on the software apart from this one issue

Orman

On my last day of my 7 day trial of ASNXT.  This issue is making me hesitant to purchase this software.  However,  I think they have done an incredible job on the software apart from this one issue

I got another reply from the development team following my sending some log files. They told me that the issue is related to the way FSX handles vertical visibility but they are working on a fix which will be incorporated in a further SP1 package. They also said that this problem is also present in previous versions of active sky. It's funny because I don't remember seeing it, maybe, the occurence is not very high after all. The product is great and is a big improvement to ASE, which was already good.

Not suprised really.  It is pretty remarkable how the third party developers are able to get around the flaws in the FSX engine.  Appreciate the response and hope they have some luck getting it sorted out in SP1

is there a way to minimize the issue?  I guess I could play around with cloud settings

Orman

Not suprised really.  It is pretty remarkable how the third party developers are able to get around the flaws in the FSX engine.  Appreciate the response and hope they have some luck getting it sorted out in SP1

is there a way to minimize the issue?  I guess I could play around with cloud settings

You can minimize by trying different sky and cloud sets. Some have said that substituting a cumulus set for the low stratus results in a "fleecier" overcast.

It really IS a system specific issue - some love the solid overcast, others see some holes.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Gotcha.  Im using REX overdrive+essential for cloud textures.  Do I need to change the cloud textures in REX, or do something with settings in ASNXT?

Orman