Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

Nvidia GPU tuning tip

A trick that can help Nvidia users with tweaking settings a bit is to use EVGA precision or MSI afterburner (really the same program).

I have my framerate, GPU usage%, GPU temp, video memory usage and BUS usage all displayed on my logitech G510 keyboard. If you don't own one of these keyboards you can have it display on screen.

In their newest versions there is also now a BUS usage category in the monitoring section. In FSX I typically see 6% - 9% regardless of settings so it doesn't have much bearing there.

On the other hand In P3DV2 I've seen it go as high as 38%  -  This can help you do some fine tuning to really see how much data you are pushing to your GPU. I haven't seen 1 tuning guide recommend using BUS yet, but in my opinion is is very valuable especially as your GPU starts to hit 99% usage. By contrast Battlefield 4 will only use about 4% of the bus on my machine...  

I do use 3 monitors at the moment so the impact of changing settings in the sim can have a drastic (3x) consequences.  If you don't have a tool like this you are only guessing the impacts of your tweaks based on FPS without knowing that in reality you are close to exhausting your video memory or overloading your GPU.