Sign in to follow this  
rickjs

route planning

This is just a curriosity question. When planning a flight, what do you all use? Do you use FSC (or simular product if there is one) or do you use the flight planner in FSX and program that into the fmc. Just wondering

I am only using the 777 in fs. Short/medium haul gets boring in fs when you do it for a living.

PFPX for dispatching. Most of the times I get the routes directly from the company.

I use Fltplan.com.  It has the benefit of giving you the RW routings that were assigned by ATC that day, too.  It's a great site.

PFPX to plan the fuel and give performance/weather numbers for my route.  Routes usually blatantly stolen from FlightAware.com.

Kyle Rodgers

Depends. If  can find a real world route I'll use it. If not, I'll create one using FSCommander.

I used to do a whole bunch of freeware stuff and be very conservative with fuel (talking 3.0 metric tonne reserves in the 737-800 in clear weather and an alternate 75nm away, 15 to 20 metric tonne reserves with the 747 and no less than 13 on the MD11). rFinder, fightaware, skyvector, vataware, simroutes etc have all played their part in the past.

These days It's all PFPX.

PFPX is just so accurate for fuel, ETOPS, diversion, weather etc planning. It's just so accurate it's uncanny.

I find it doesn't always do the best routing, and where possible I will always try to get my hands on a real route. flight-aware still comes in very handy for this, and even if the text of the route isn't available, the 'blue dotted line' of the flightplan will still usually show where the aircraft actually went, then I can adjust the PFPX routing using the map and manually typing in the airways/wapoints/vor's to match where the aircraft is going.

PFPX, no doubt. 

But if I'm doing a domestic flight within North America, I tend to use the flightaware routes.

Aamir Thacker

Skyvector.com for obtaining airport diagrams, SIDS, STARS, and approach plates

Flightaware for real world routings within the United States

Vataware for international flying

Navigraph for obtaining current nav data for your FMC's

All of these sites are free with the exception of Navigraph.

Regards