Sign in to follow this  
Amnmaddox

FPS in FS9 on high end rig

So I know this may be redundant but I'm having an issue with setting FS9 up on a high end-ish rig. Im getting low FPS with fs9 with add-ons. I keep seeing all these videos of FS9 and fsx with high fps on about the same specs as me. I get about 20-30 fps at an addon airport like JFK  and 75% traffic. My main question is what am I doing wrong here? Im running this hardware:

Win7 64

22Gb ddr3 ram

i5 4670@ 3.4ghz

Nvidia GT610 

The thing thats odd is I have searched the forums and changed settings according to several different ideas but nothing seems to work. I'm pretty sure my FPS being low has something to do with MY AA/AF settings. Any ideas?

The thing is I see a lot of people say they get high frame rates with FSX.....then you look at a screenshot and it looks terrible.  For me personally, I prefer a picture perfect shot with my FS9.  Sure I could get 100 plus frames per second, but I want no jaggies, no shimmer, just a totally awesome looking display when I fly so I set all my settings within Nvidia Inspector to their highest levels.  When you do this, your framerates are going to suffer.  Myself, I can get about 30-40fps when flying add ons and add on scenery.  You just have to play around with the settings until you find that compromise that you are happy with.  It took me years and years to get it right, but I am finally in a happy place.

System: P3D v5.3HF2 , Intel i9-9900K o/c to 5.1Ghz, Nvidia ASUSGeForce RTX RTX 3090 24GB,  MPG Z390 Gamng Edge mobo, 64Gb G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit

My thing is I get a steady 20-30 FPS but none of my hardware is maxing out performance wise. Im running 40% of my CPU, 2-4gb of my ram and 60% of my GPU. I agree with you in preferring crisp, sharp picture tho. Its better that way!! 

If you're seeing 20-30 FPS over JFK with traffic and your sliders are all to the right, then you're doing fine.  Remember that FS9 is a single core application at heart.  Even with my dual core, I don't see more than 50% of my CPU being used unless I'm using an aircraft with RealityXP gauges in it.  Not knowing what your AA settings are or how you set it, no one could really say if that's having an impact or not.  At the end of the day, if you're getting a smooth, stutter free flight with no blurry textures and no other hangups, then FPS is really irrelevant. 

Cheers.  :smile:

I guess I cant complain too much. I get the occasional stutters and dips in FPS but never below the high teens. i was just trying to get a feel from other folks about there settings and/or experience. I personally have no AA in FS9, AA in nividia set to low settings and AF set at 4x. However, worth noting is I run my sim on a 55" LED tv. I found out that the screen resolution makes a huge difference. I had it set to the default from my pc to screen at about 1900x1200 or so...turned it down to a medium size in FS9 (say 1300x790) and from nvidia and bam!! 45FPS all the time except at large busy airports. who'd a thought LOL

The problem is your GPU, it's not high end at all and is the major bottleneck in your system.

Rob Prest

The problem is your GPU, it's not high end at all and is the major bottleneck in your system.

What would you suggest?

What would you suggest?

Well your in luck when it comes to FS9.. A Nvidia 560TI would be more than enough for your needs.

If you would like to be in a position to crank everything up to max and never worry about FPS ( even with badly coded freeware) consider clocking your CPU to 4ghz and purchase anything up to a 670TI if money is tight.

Rob Prest

Jeff is correct.  JFK with high traffic setting will have a huge impact on fps because it's also very close to La Guardia.  So you have traffic from two large airports FS9 has to deal with at one time.

When you said your AA setting is low, can you tell us what setting you're using?  There is low MS, low SS, CSAA, etc.  A low MS setting will give you much better frames than a low SS setting.  Also, make sure your AA is disabled within FS9 when you're using Inspector, and filter set to trilinear in FS9, and if possible 16x in Inspector.

My system is not high end but I get a steady 60fps (locked) with add ons like Carenado and usually anywhere from 30-60 with PMDG with payware scenery/real weather.

To get the best picture quality, you also want to set your screen resolution to whatever the native resolution your display is.  Since you're running 55" LED, I'm assuming it would be 1920x1080?

I ran FS9 on a 46" LCD, then upgraded to 60" LED, and now 60" Plasma.  All of them are 1920x1080 native.

The 650ti boost looks decent. It isn't 400 bucks either which is a bonus. I'm gonna give it a shot. Will know more tomorrow

My aa in nvidia inspector is at 4x. That's also with ms. No super sample 2x or so on. AF is set at 8x and no AA in the sim and trilinear on. I ran the display at "native" mode for a while. I had about a 10 to 20 FPS drop. I was getting low teens at JFK with that. Now set at 1200x800 I get 25 or so at JFK. My issue with all this is as I change stuff I get no better results. ie...I changed my scenery sliders all to the middle from the far right. No change in fps. I lowered the traffic settings. No change. But if I change the aa to say 16 or 24x in nvidia I get low teens tops! I'm beginning to think the video card might be the issue....smh. I hope anyway lol.

Flex1978 takes the cake!!! Swapped out the gt610 for a XFX radeon 7750HD I had laying around. Steady 45FPS all day long. Maxed out sliders, traffic, addon JFK, ase with REX. Guess a gtx6xx ti on the way

Have you checked your JFK scenery with alpha searcher?

I haven't but that's next on the list of many things to do. It is FSdreamteams JFK scenery tho.