Sign in to follow this  
styckx

Successful long hauls

Bill, thanks anyway. I'll plot a similar route in plan G.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Well, my longest 'haul' up to know ended in an OOM. During the last few days I've been adding things to P3D 2.0 but unfortunately, my bad, I only did short flights with it, not taking longer than some 20 to 30 minutes. The first addon I installed was FTX Global. After not having any problems with it I enabled Orbx trees (vector road lights still off), After still not having any problems, I installed the A2A C172 and after that I added Norway freeware. After all that, since everything was going very well, I decided to have my first longer flight and for me 82 nm in the C172 is a 'long haul'.  ^_^ And, as I said, after 38 minutes, some 20 nm away from my destination, I got an OOM.

I am using what I would call rather medium settings but apparently they are still high enough to get an OOM with.

when I was flying B58 around Kansas between KTOP and KMCI, I always got OOM after 10-20min when I'm getting close to the airport. However, in extremely autogen dense area like KSEA, KSFO etc I got not OOMs. 

I wonder whether something weird of FTX Global is the reason...

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I said a while back.. It seems like every time I see someone mention OOM, FTX products are involved.. Specifically FTX Global..  If I owned that product I certainly wouldn't install it. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I think that unfortunately P3D V2 is not FTX Global Ready. Or vice versa. Better to use default until then.

Alexis Mefano

I have flown 3 flights from KLAX to CYOW (about 2100 nm) with the default King Air 350 (but with a digital 2D panel, and passengers replaced by fuel); these flights took just over 7 hours with a small tail wind.

Today I flew from CYOW to KLAX with the FeelThere 777-200 (but with a Friendly Panels Bombardier CRJ-700 2D panel, since the original FeelThere panel caused P3D2 to crash every time); this flight took just over 5 hours with about a 50 kt headwind. No troubles at all.

P3D2 is the first simulator I've had since fs9 that has not crashed (except for the P3D2.0 bugs, which I try hard to avoid). FSX and P3D1 always crashed after flying 30 to 150 minutes. I suspected that my CPU or GPU were overheating, but now I know that the software was at the root of the problems.

My CPU is an i7-2600 (already old) with 16GB RAM, and my GPU is a GTX 560Ti (similarly old) with 1.25GB VRAM. With my reasonable P3D2 settings (no shadowing) and FTXG, I get 35 FPS. Needless to say, I am very happy. I didn't think I'd get away with it. 

Frans Kes

I flew my 'long haul' again after discovering the OOMs were mainly due to the Norway freeware... One part of it gave me those weird looking trees and another part simply were too heavy, so it seems. I just flew that same flight with FTXG installed and the A2A C172 plus Norway Scenic LC and things went perfectly fine. VAS stayed around 2.3 and after half an hour or so it moved to 2.4 and sometime later to 2.5. After 45 minutes of flying (I decided to not land but let the plane fly on on AP) VAS reached 2.6.

Anyway, seems I was wrong with blaming a few things entirely on FTXG and the C172. Which is great because those are the addons I like most (together with the freeware Norway LC).

Now of course my flight isn't a really long haul: I will see how long I will let my plane fly and if I get into problems anyway after a while. It is a fact that P3D 2.0 is rather sensitive when it comes to VAS. Just adding every possible addon will surely result in an OOM so right now you have to choose wisely what to install.

EDIT
I ended the flight after 1 hour and 40 minutes. VAS was at 3.2 for a while already. I moved the plane during the flight to Seattle (at 5000 ft on AP) because that scenery is a bit heavier. Anyway, I didn't get near a VAS, so it seems. I never do 1.40 hour flights anyway, so I'm good. ^_^

Brian,

Hope you are having a great day and nice screenshot...

The reason I am writing you is because the screenshot you shared is showing you have duplicate AFCADS installed. The default AFCAD is conflicting with the add-on scenery AFCAD... This is a good source of OOM.

Happy contrails.....

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.