Sign in to follow this  
soundrats

FTX GLOBAL MS NET FRAMEWORK 4.0 or 4.5

Hi out there,

The readme of the FTX GLOBAL installation says it needs MS NET FRAMEWORK 4.0 to work. After a new WIN7 64bit installation NET FRAMEWORK is updated to version 4.5. Now I want to know if I can install FTX GLOBAL with MS NET FRAMEWORK 4.5 instead of 4.0?

Kind Regards Tom

Hi out there,

The readme of the FTX GLOBAL installation says it needs MS NET FRAMEWORK 4.0 to work. After a new WIN7 64bit installation NET FRAMEWORK is updated to version 4.5. Now I want to know if I can install FTX GLOBAL with MS NET FRAMEWORK 4.5 instead of 4.0?

Kind Regards Tom

To run FSX/Acceleration, let alone FTX Global, you need versions 1.1 through the latest.  Here's a clip from the AVSIM CTD Guide:

Make sure required Microsoft.net Framework Packages are installed and up-to-date - The appropriate Microsoft.net Framework packages are normally installed when you first install FSX/Acceleration/P3D and commercial add-on programs if the appropriate package is not found.  You will need versions 1.1 through the latest. You can see what versions are installed by going to your Windows Explorer and look for Windows/Microsoft.net/Framework/(then the versions installed). Once the packages are installed, Windows Update will periodically update the packages.  You can verify whether your versions are properly installed and up-to-date by using the .Net Framework Setup Verification Tool User's Guide.  Microsoft.net packages are used by developers to make sure the program runs in the way they intended, including memory management. The packages are, for the most part, not backward compatible.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

The Windows 8 .net 4.5 contains .net 4.0 and is entirely backwards compatible. The major revision numbers (1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x) are not and you need each of them installed, if you have apps that access them. Hence the MS directive. Here's an example:

http://superuser.com/questions/491000/what-versions-of-the-net-framework-are-included-in-windows-8

Thank you,

all what I read is that the NF 4.5 or meanwhile 4.5.1 contains each NF from NF 2.0 on. Anyway if I install an earlier version the win updater is prompting updates till I reach NF 4.5.1. This really should be ok then.

Kind Regards Tom

Jim,

The Windows 8 .net 4.5 contains .net 4.0 and is entirely backwards compatible. The major revision numbers (1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x) are not and you need each of them installed, if you have apps that access them. Hence the MS directive. Here's an example:

http://superuser.com/questions/491000/what-versions-of-the-net-framework-are-included-in-windows-8

It is definitely not backward compatible.  For instance, remove version 2.0 or 3.5.  You'll be lucky to get FSX or certain addons to run.  Please run a Google search asking "Is Microsoft.net packages backward compatible".  For the most part they 'might' be but, for the most part, you need all versions for this very, very old computer program called FSX/Acceleration.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It is definitely not backward compatible.  For instance, remove version 2.0 or 3.5.  You'll be lucky to get FSX or certain addons to run.  Please run a Google search asking "Is Microsoft.net packages backward compatible".  For the most part they 'might' be but, for the most part, you need all versions for this very, very old computer program called FSX/Acceleration.

Best regards,

Jim,

Thank you for passing this along. I think I just figured out a major mystery with my FSX troubles with my Win 8 install.

Keith

Keith Guillory

It is definitely not backward compatible. For instance, remove version 2.0 or 3.5. You'll be lucky to get FSX or certain addons to run.

We are saying the same thing. Only the minor revisions are backwards compatible (4.0 & 4.5 for example). If your version of Windows has all the previous versions of .net, then you are very lucky.

If your version of Windows has all the previous versions of .net, then you are very lucky.

The appropriate version of dotnet is installed on your computer when you install FSX, starting with Version 1.1, Acceleration 2.0, Orbx/FTX 3.5, etc., etc.  The following is taken from the AVSIM CTD Guide:

Make sure required Microsoft.net Framework Packages are installed and up-to-date - The appropriate Microsoft.net Framework packages are normally installed when you first install FSX/Acceleration/P3D and commercial add-on programs if the appropriate package is not found.  You will need versions 1.1 through the latest. You can see what versions are installed by going to your Windows Explorer and look for Windows/Microsoft.net/Framework/(then the versions installed). Once the packages are installed, Windows Update will periodically update the packages.  You can verify whether your versions are properly installed and up-to-date by using the .Net Framework Setup Verification Tool User's Guide.  Microsoft.net packages are used by developers to make sure the program runs in the way they intended, including memory management. The packages are, for the most part, not backward compatible.

The dotnet setup verification tool is an important utility to make sure you have all versions and they are properly installed.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim, What procedure did you use to get Net Framework 1.1 to install into Windows 7-64? I have all versions installed except 1.1. I remember when I tried to install 1.1 I got error messages but I don't remember the details of the messages now. Browsing the net it appears that you need to jump through some hoops to get this installed in windows 7. My sim seems to run fine without it so I just left that one out. Do you know what programs need 1.1?

Thanks,

Ted. 

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Jim, What procedure did you use to get Net Framework 1.1 to install into Windows 7-64? I have all versions installed except 1.1. I remember when I tried to install 1.1 I got error messages but I don't remember the details of the messages now. Browsing the net it appears that you need to jump through some hoops to get this installed in windows 7. My sim seems to run fine without it so I just left that one out. Do you know what programs need 1.1?

Thanks,

Ted. 

Hi Ted,

Sorry for not responding sooner.  When you install FSX, Acceleration, or any addon, the proper dotnet will be installed.  It is my understanding that FSX Deluxe used dotnet 1.1 and SP2/Acceleration used 2.0.  If it is not installed on your system and everything is working properly, then I would not worry about it.  I have it installed on my system.  Have you tried downloading and installing it on your system? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=33

Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim,

When I tried to run the link above it said that the program it was trying to update was not installed. The link is to a service pack so that made sense. Then I did a search on the Microsoft website and found the distributable for both Net Framework 1.0 and 1.1. Both gave me the incompatibility message below when I tried to install  them. I did not want to try a forced install.

post-135255-0-20226600-1388713672.png

What are the symptoms if Net Framework 1.0 or 1.1 are not installed? My FSX seems to run fine without it. 

Thanks,

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

IIS is not needed by most users as it allows you to host a web server under Windows. Check your services to see if it is even running.

I checked this morning and I do not have IIS running or listed in windows services. According to the Net Framework 1.0 and 1.1 download pages Windows 7 is not supported. I did a google search and found the following procedure to get it installed.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/how-to-install-net-framework-11-in-windows-7-64/eb1e6232-e874-432e-ab43-17660e25e43d

Did you folks that have .net 1.1 running in windows 7 go through this procedure? I'm a little hesitant being that FSX and acceleration installed and seem to run fine. With so much conflicting and buggy software in this hobby now, I'm very conservative about installing anything. 

Thanks,

Ted