Sign in to follow this  
MarkVcz

First long-haul on VATSIM. Did not end well. DX10 time!

Awful framerates on the ground... it shouldn't be something to show off.

Actually I was thinking the same thing. Hoping it was fraps? This is why I have tried to avoid FSX and wait for P3D... I just can't go back to rubbish FPS

Rob Prest

Awful framerates on the ground... it shouldn't be something to show off.

Yeah. It might be FRAPS though... but not exactly an "awesome" video to show off DX10  ^_^ I'm really hoping for way better frame rates from DX10.. 

I have been on DX10 for 6 month or so and my fps is the same with my GTX780SC but it was higher with my HD 7970GHZ vs dx9. Really hard to get OOM and good performance makes it my choice with everything else but the NGX because i have a CDUII and undocking panels in DX10 is a problem on my system (fps repeating jumps up and down in a pattern)

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Since Steve released his DX10 fixer, he's probably got himself a better rig than the one he did the demo on...

I've been running DX10 for a couple of months now, via the fixer, and never looked back.

Improved frame rates all-round. On the ground at a demanding airport, circa 18-24 FPS in the 777.

At less demanding locations, get between 28-40+ FPS.

The other thing about DX10 is that you can ramp the sliders up almost with impunity, with only marginal loss of frames. It seems to enable FSX to handle autogen scenery and AI traffic much better. Also, there seems to be no FPS hit with lightbloom enabled.

DX10 looks a treat, too.

Hi MarkVcz,

I had almost the exact same thing happening with the 777 flying from EGBB to OMDB Birmingham to Dubai, either got the OOM on approach, touchdown or even once taxing to the gate. I run GEX, UTX and REX too, and never had an issue with my MD11 or 747 on long haul flights, and never got any OOM's!

After reading the posts here about DX10 I flicked the switch and tried a couple of flights, just to see, saw the odd texture issue but then decided it was worth buying "Steve's Scenery Fixer" which solved all my texture issues. I've been using DX10 for a few months now and have to say it's brilliant.

OK my fps aren't huge high teens to low twenties but fsx is silky smooth, which is what counts in my book. And those sun sets are to die for now! Anyway no more OOM's and last weekend flew Heathrow to San Francisco and San Francisco to Philadelphia both with real world weather and the 777 and no OOM's. 

I really do think DX10 is a step forward in keeping fsx alive, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed when you switch. It took me about 15mins to set up the scenery fixer when I bought it, it's really easy to do! 

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

I don't think we should have to do all this switching to DX10 just to use the B777. My system runs just fine with every other add on and aircraft i own.

Just think of the additional time spent mucking around tweaking FSX again and the cost involved here just to use this one aircraft.

If that's not a consideration to anyone else here then good luck to you.

While I like the aircraft itself, I simply don't believe it's worth buying additional programmes and re tuning FSX just to run one aircraft. That's crazy.

If I can't fly in and out of major add on airports on long haul flights with some weather as well, then whats the point of it all?

I will stick with the PMDG B737 and Majestic Q400 where I get no issues at all in heavy wx, night time etc.

Until PMDG address and improve the VAS issue which they conveniently wash their hands of and say they won't be doing anything about it, I unfortunately wont be adding the 300ER or any new product of theirs (as its not likely to get any better) to my fleet. Not meant as a threat to PMDG just a reality of the situation.

Cheers Barra

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

Sorry Kyle, I edited my post, I meant UTX not GEX :)

GEX is just textures, we shouldn't need it with FTX global, UTX is the land class stuff that can cause issues.

I have UTX USA with FTX Global into FSDT and/or LatinVFR airports without any issues.  As you'd imagine the VAS usage with the T7 into those airports it starts to get quite low, and even FSUIPC starts dinging on certain occasions - primarily based on what kind of weather I'm landing in.  I, however, have never had FSX crash due to an OOM though.

I use LOD Radius of 5.0 but what I have found lately is that going into Spot view seems to take a lot of VAS.  When I'm starting to approach airports and worried about VAS I do not go outside the cockpit for that reason.  I've seen going into Spot view take 100MB of VAS in of itself.

I see lot of positive feedback about DX10 here. That's cool!

I had almost the exact same thing happening with the 777 flying from EGBB to OMDB... I've been using DX10 for a few months now and have to say it's brilliant.

... OK my fps aren't huge high teens to low twenties but fsx is silky smooth, which is what counts in my book. And those sun sets are to die for now! Anyway no more OOM's and last weekend flew Heathrow to San Francisco..

^ THIS. Thanks man! Excatly what I'm expecting from my DX10 switch! I'll try to tune it as much as possible (but definitely not to the point of spending more time tweaking than flying..) but ideally.. no OOMs, smooth rendering (no tearing) is what counts in my book..

A side note to add. Remember that all your fleet is taking up some memory . Its not just scenery that is loaded when you start FSX. 

So by adding the 777-300ER i might considering un-installing some other payware. 

Using only your takeoff, landing,ETOPS Scenery is always good for keeping memory as low as possible. It can be frustrating landing with VAS close to 4GB in stutter and low FPS . VAS close to 4GB is a FPS killer

And remember to save your longhauls on the go

Did EGLL-EHAM (short flight)yesterday in DX10 with Dense settings and FPS was smooth 25-40fps all the time unlimited with UTII at 25%. FTXG+UK2000,Aerosoft at night. 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Is that really true Michael? If someone has a bunch of aircraft installed it contributes to OOMS? That doesn't make sense to me, surely it's about what gets loaded into memory.

I plan to run the sim with only the 777 installed, no AI, just Vatsim traffic

Rob Prest

I don't think we should have to do all this switching to DX10 just to use the B777. My system runs just fine with every other add on and aircraft i own.

Just think of the additional time spent mucking around tweaking FSX again and the cost involved here just to use this one aircraft.

If that's not a consideration to anyone else here then good luck to you.

While I like the aircraft itself, I simply don't believe it's worth buying additional programmes and re tuning FSX just to run one aircraft. That's crazy.

If I can't fly in and out of major add on airports on long haul flights with some weather as well, then whats the point of it all?

I will stick with the PMDG B737 and Majestic Q400 where I get no issues at all in heavy wx, night time etc.

Until PMDG address and improve the VAS issue which they conveniently wash their hands of and say they won't be doing anything about it, I unfortunately wont be adding the 300ER or any new product of theirs (as its not likely to get any better) to my fleet. Not meant as a threat to PMDG just a reality of the situation.

Cheers Barra

Well the great thing is - also in my opinion at least - that Steve's DX10 fix is one of the most reliable and overall simple to add "tweaks" currently available for FSX.

It does not only help to avoid OOM's, but also offers great smoothness in the sim - with all add-ons!

I can't exactly explain why, but although the FPS in DX10 may sometimes not be as good as they might be under DX9, they simply don't seem to "jump around" that hard in DX10 mode and therefore offering an overall "smoother" simming experience!

While "smoothness in the sim" sure is something rather personal though, there objectively is a vast improvement provided by DX10 to avoid OOM's.

But indeed:

If Your DX9 FSX set up runs nicely for You and You are happy with it, then be it - absolutely nothing wrong with that!

If however troubles such as OOM's occur, then - again saying - and as pointed out by other simmers above already, DX10 certainly is an option really worth to be tried out!

And even if PMDG manages to get the amount of VAS lowered for the 777 in a future update, the chances of  running into OMM's still remain high due to FSX's 32bit architecture - and certainly not only with the 777!

Due to DX10 though and for whatever exact technical reason, this chances of running into an OOM are at least lowered siginificantly.

And so, also on my PC, i, as many other simmers, have never encountered one single OOM ever since i switched to DX10.

Cheers, Christoph

Is that really true Michael? If someone has a bunch of aircraft installed it contributes to OOMS? That doesn't make sense to me, surely it's about what gets loaded into memory.

[...]

+1

Indeed:

Is that true?

I can not really imagine this to be an issue in regards to memory.

But i may easily be wrong, so i'd also very much appreciate further info here.

Cheers, Christoph

.. And remember to save your longhauls on the go.

It might be little tricky to reconnect onto VATSIM from saved point after crashed FSX in heavy traffic.. but actually manageable with ATCs (or without a problem in no traffic..).. that's a good point about saving mid-flight on long hauls. Although I hope I'll be able to enjoy uninterrupted real-time flights all the way..

Yeah. It might be FRAPS though... but not exactly an "awesome" video to show off DX10  ^_^ I'm really hoping for way better frame rates from DX10.. 

True, but then it is running on a Sinclair Spectrum.. :P Actually, I have had to stop using FRAPS. For some reason (which I have yet to get to the bottom of) my FPS dropped to between 1 and 3 FPS! Shortly after this vid. However I still manage to fly consecutive flights without any OOMs

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Well the great thing is - also in my opinion at least - that Steve's DX10 fix is one of the most reliable and overall simple to add "tweaks" currently available for FSX.

It does not only help to avoid OOM's, but also offers great smoothness in the sim - with all add-ons!

I can't exactly explain why, but although the FPS in DX10 may sometimes not be as good as they might be under DX9, they simply don't seem to "jump around" that hard in DX10 mode and therefore offering an overall "smoother" simming experience!

While "smoothness in the sim" sure is something rather personal though, there objectively is a vast improvement provided by DX10 to avoid OOM's.

But indeed:

If Your DX9 FSX set up runs nicely for You and You are happy with it, then be it - absolutely nothing wrong with that!

If however troubles such as OOM's occur, then - again saying - and as pointed out by other simmers above already, DX10 certainly is an option really worth to be tried out!

And even if PMDG manages to get the amount of VAS lowered for the 777 in a future update, the chances of  running into OMM's still remain high due to FSX's 32bit architecture - and certainly not only with the 777!

Due to DX10 though and for whatever exact technical reason, this chances of running into an OOM are at least lowered siginificantly.

And so, also on my PC, i, as many other simmers, have never encountered one single OOM ever since i switched to DX10.

Cheers, Christoph

+1

Indeed:

Is that true?

I can not really imagine this to be an issue in regards to memory.

But i may easily be wrong, so i'd also very much appreciate further info here.

Cheers, Christoph

Well you cant deactivate aircraft like scenerys but they do contribute to the overall VAS. 

I did a flight in the NGX with OOM and a testflight without any other aircraft installed and i did not get the OOM in same scenario,

This is offcause a flat statement because other parametres could have influenced it but think about it

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png