Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Transponder knob keyboard command?

Hi,

In the NGX and the 777 I am trying to assign a keyboard command to the transponder knob. Then I want to bind the keyboard command to the engine knob my Saitek switch panel. I can't find an option to set a keyboard command for this in the FMC. The reason I want one is because the workload when entering/exiting the runway is extremely high, especially when flying online. And having to exit the runway correctly while simultaneously point TrackIR to the correct spots in the cockpit to click the correct knobs and switches can be very bothersome. I would be a much easier for me to just flip a few switches on my Saitek panel, and then turn the knob to move the transponder knob to standby. 

The FMC includes options to assign keyboard commands to many of the buttons and switches, but unfortunately not this one. Is there perhaps another way?

The FMC includes options to assign keyboard commands to many of the buttons and switches, but unfortunately not this one. Is there perhaps another way?

While this doesn't specifically answer your question, it may help some:

The FAA (and I think ICAO) is now recommending that the transponder be set to "on" at any time the aircraft is moving away from its stand or gate.  As such, just set it as part of your after start flow.

As far as bindings go, FSUIPC can definitely do it.  You just have to get inventive.

Kyle Rodgers

While this doesn't specifically answer your question, it may help some:

The FAA (and I think ICAO) is now recommending that the transponder be set to "on" at any time the aircraft is moving away from its stand or gate.  As such, just set it as part of your after start flow.

As far as bindings go, FSUIPC can definitely do it.  You just have to get inventive.

I know this, but the problem is that the rules on IVAO are different. Whenever I do not move my transponder knob to Charlie or STBY quickly enough, I will get bashed by ATC. The transponder knob on the IVAO interface can be controlled via the knob in the PMDG planes so whenever I move that, the transponder on the IVAO interface will switch as well. 

I have tried using FSUIPC but couldn't get it to work. Of all the options in the list that are related to the transponder, none of them could move the transponder knob. I know I wasn't doing anything wrong because I could get other transponder options (such as changing the squawk code) work just fine via keyboard commands. The problem is that this thing is not in the list (or I can't find it).

I know this, but the problem is that the rules on IVAO are different. Whenever I do not move my transponder knob to Charlie or STBY quickly enough, I will get bashed by ATC. The transponder knob on the IVAO interface can be controlled via the knob in the PMDG planes so whenever I move that, the transponder on the IVAO interface will switch as well.

haha - gotta love online networks.  VATSIM always left it up to local policy to accommodate those areas that used ASDE-X and the control group wanted to simulate that, so this change is largely just getting the word out for them.

I have tried using FSUIPC but couldn't get it to work. Of all the options in the list that are related to the transponder, none of them could move the transponder knob. I know I wasn't doing anything wrong because I could get other transponder options (such as changing the squawk code) work just fine via keyboard commands. The problem is that this thing is not in the list (or I can't find it).

Turn the process around :wink:

FSUIPC can send key strokes.

PMDG Setup > Key Commands responds to key strokes.

Have the PMDG Key Commands for the transponder settings "listen" for certain key commands, and have FSUIPC send them off of the respective joystick buttons.

There isn't an FSUIPC option for the NGX's collimator (HUGS) extend/retract.

Had FSUIPC send CTRL+SHIFT+0 any time I pulled back on one of my hats.

Had the Key Commands listen to CTRL+SHIFT+0 for the collimator extend/retract animation.

Like I said:

Just have to get inventive :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

FSUIPC can send key strokes.
PMDG Setup > Key Commands responds to key strokes.

I know this too, but as I said, there is no option in the Key Commands list in the FMC that controls the transponder knob, that was why I was asking.

Hi,

Have you looked in the ..\PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\SDK\PMDG_NGX_SDK.h file? Open it in notepad. This contains all of the custom codes that you can send via FSUIPC (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID) There are a number there for the transponder

Ray

I know this too, but as I said, there is no option in the Key Commands list in the FMC that controls the transponder knob, that was why I was asking.

Dang...I could've sworn there was something in there.  Then again, there may also be a reason that I never bound it to a key/switch.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi,

Have you looked in the ..\PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\SDK\PMDG_NGX_SDK.h file? Open it in notepad. This contains all of the custom codes that you can send via FSUIPC (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID) There are a number there for the transponder

Ray

Thank you. That is some very interesting info. I do need a bit more of an in depth explanation on how to get this working, could you point me to a tutorial/manual?

Sorry no, I worked it out for myself. You add the command you want to use e.g EVT_TCAS_KNOB1, value 804, to the THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN, value 69632. That equals 70436. Open FSUIPC, go to keys & buttons, then assign the button to send 70436, as a custom code, to FSX. That's a brief method from memory of how I did it. Hope that helps

Ray

Here's an extract from my FSUIPC.ini file for the NGX, it may help

[buttons.PMDG 737]
1=P0,0,C1001,0 ; Squawkbox PTT on
2=U0,0,C1002,0 ; Squawkbox PTT off
3=R0,0,C66287,1 ; FS2Crew Soft Mute
4=P0,13,C65580,0 ; AP_MASTER
5=P0,13,C65860,0 ; AT_MASTER
6=P0,4,C70034,1 ; CMD_A
7=P0,2,C70316,1 ; TOGA
8=P0,12,K187,11
9=P0,11,K189,11
10=P0,5,C70018,1 ; VNAV
11=P0,6,C70029,1 ; LNAV
12=P0,7,C70024,1 ; HDG SELECT
13=P0,8,C70027,1 ; VS SELECT
14=R0,1,C65615,0 ; ELEV_TRIM_UP
15=R0,3,C65607,0 ; ELEV_TRIM_DN
16=R0,9,C65602,0 ; THROTTLE_DECR for reverser
17=U0,9,C65598,0 ; THROTTLE_INCR for reverser

You can see the custom code all start with C

Ray

ps this works for the 737NGX, but SDK for 777 not out yet AFAIK

Sorry no, I worked it out for myself. You add the command you want to use e.g EVT_TCAS_KNOB1, value 804, to the THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN, value 69632. That equals 70436. Open FSUIPC, go to keys & buttons, then assign the button to send 70436, as a custom code, to FSX. That's a brief method from memory of how I did it. Hope that helps

Ray

Here's an extract from my FSUIPC.ini file for the NGX, it may help

[buttons.PMDG 737]

1=P0,0,C1001,0 ; Squawkbox PTT on

2=U0,0,C1002,0 ; Squawkbox PTT off

3=R0,0,C66287,1 ; FS2Crew Soft Mute

4=P0,13,C65580,0 ; AP_MASTER

5=P0,13,C65860,0 ; AT_MASTER

6=P0,4,C70034,1 ; CMD_A

7=P0,2,C70316,1 ; TOGA

8=P0,12,K187,11

9=P0,11,K189,11

10=P0,5,C70018,1 ; VNAV

11=P0,6,C70029,1 ; LNAV

12=P0,7,C70024,1 ; HDG SELECT

13=P0,8,C70027,1 ; VS SELECT

14=R0,1,C65615,0 ; ELEV_TRIM_UP

15=R0,3,C65607,0 ; ELEV_TRIM_DN

16=R0,9,C65602,0 ; THROTTLE_DECR for reverser

17=U0,9,C65598,0 ; THROTTLE_INCR for reverser

You can see the custom code all start with C

Ray

ps this works for the 737NGX, but SDK for 777 not out yet AFAIK

Thanks Ray, that helps me a little bit. But as I'm a complete noob on programming, this is not enough of an explanation for me. For example, I don't understand why some commands start with P0 and others with R0 or U0 and I don't understand the second number after it too. I also don't understand why 69632 equals 70436?

69632 doesn't equal 70436 :) in the example i gave, you need to add 804 to 69632, that equals 70436. In the h file 69632 is the base address, you then add the third party event id to that.

The R0 means the key repeats

The P or U's determine if the code is sent on button up/down. FSUIPC will enter them for you

I haven't the time today, but will try to do a pictorial tomorrow if you cannot get it to work

Ray

But as I'm a complete noob on programming, this is not enough of an explanation for me.

To explain a little more:

The THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN, value is 69632

The value of the EVT_TCAS_KNOB1 is 804

69632 + 804 = 70436

This is why they're called button offsets.  You're sending button calls as an offset from a base value.

You can then tell FSUIPC to send that offset and the aircraft will react to it because the function's variable exists in that offset data block.

Here's a little more info on offsets that's probably more effective than my droning on:

http://www.sim-avionics.com/downloads/FSUIPC%20Help.pdf

...aaaaand Ray beat me to it.

Check out the PDF at least.  It should help demystify the process.  It's not too tough in the end because it's not quite programming; just variable setting.

Kyle Rodgers

Ok,

I've had a little play and to get Mode C you need to assign a key with FSUIPC to send 70432, with parameter 4

To turn off mode C you send 70432 with parameter 1

This is for the NGX

Ray

Assigning Shift-N to select Mode C results in FSUIPC lines;

[Keys.PMDG 737]
x=78,9,70432,4

x is a number dependent on how many keys you have assigned

Ray

I will not get tired of pointing people to LINDA. It was easy doing just what you want with this freeware software. I did it for the same reasons you mentioned. Same goes for APU start after landing etc...

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

haha - gotta love online networks. VATSIM always left it up to local policy to accommodate those areas that used ASDE-X and the control group wanted to simulate that, so this change is largely just getting the word out for them.

This is (was?) mostly about nuisance advisories. A taxiing aircraft would routinely trip an aural alert for an arrival. Part of the trouble is, IVAO only recognizes two states - C and off.

But I do know that some controllers do have you keep Charlie for taxiing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk