Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

First ASN Hot Fix is out

Per 'change log'........more turbulence....ah...oh boy....!

....installed....

:)

ASN Happy Camper

we are working on many things to improve the ASN experience. Some of these things include.....more turbulence strength adjustment capability

No turbalence changes in this hotfix.

No turbalence changes in this hotfix.

Oh good, lol...turbulence is nothing that is lacking with the present build...and gives AccuSim a workout...visual as well as audio....

The turbulence, up and down drafts, we now get in FSX with ASN, have turned X-Plane into an "on-rails" simulator compared to FSX  :rolleyes:

BTW... I am an X-Planner !!!   I always thought the complains about FSX being on-rails were mainly due to the fact that weather effects were too bland... Weather injectors capable of creating not only a visual sensation of those weather effects, but actually affect the aircraft trajectory and change the relative wind and how it hits  lift / drag surfaces, for instance due to sudden updrafs, downdrafts/microbursts or wind shear, can create tricky situations for the virtual pilots, and bring to this old simulation platform a new "energy" and joy  :smile:

Add to it the super smooth cloud and wind transitions, and the possibility to use volumetric fog in P3Dv2, are the cherry on top of the cake!!!

I am enjoying FSX as much as X-Plane 10 now, thx to the DX10 mode  ( Steve's Fixer... ) and this ASN program, and look forward for the additional features that the Prepar3d V2 version will add...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I have found that 8 layers adds to the realism of "crafted" fronts and visually logical differing cloud structures within graduated transitions into clear patches and such weather variants....

And it only impacted 10% of my fps

The turbulence, up and down drafts, we now get in FSX with ASN, have turned X-Plane into an "on-rails" simulator compared to FSX  :rolleyes:

BTW... I am an X-Planner !!!   I always thought the complains about FSX being on-rails were mainly due to the fact that weather effects were too bland... Weather injectors capable of creating not only a visual sensation of those weather effects, but actually affect the aircraft trajectory and change the relative wind and how it hits  lift / drag surfaces, for instance due to sudden updrafs, downdrafts/microbursts or wind shear, can create tricky situations for the virtual pilots, and bring to this old simulation platform a new "energy" and joy  :smile:

Add to it the super smooth cloud and wind transitions, and the possibility to use volumetric fog in P3Dv2, are the cherry on top of the cake!!!

I am enjoying FSX as much as X-Plane 10 now, thx to the DX10 mode  ( Steve's Fixer... ) and this ASN program, and look forward for the additional features that the Prepar3d V2 version will add...

Hi jcomm, I've been using the FSGRW engine for a while now and that was ultimately an upgrade from AS2012 for me. At the moment I find that FSGRW seems to already have a lot of features that ASN has so based on your experience (not sure if you've used FSGRW) what would be the compelling reason for me to upgrade to ASN?

I've also been spending more time with X-Plane lately since getting SkyMAXX and the FF 757, so not really up for buying (yet ANOTHER) weather engine for FSX considering I've only had FSGRW for a few months. My pockets aren't that deep unfortunately  :(

Hi jcomm, I've been using the FSGRW engine for a while now and that was ultimately an upgrade from AS2012 for me. At the moment I find that FSGRW seems to already have a lot of features that ASN has so based on your experience (not sure if you've used FSGRW) what would be the compelling reason for me to upgrade to ASN?

I've also been spending more time with X-Plane lately since getting SkyMAXX and the FF 757, so not really up for buying (yet ANOTHER) weather engine for FSX considering I've only had FSGRW for a few months. My pockets aren't that deep unfortunately  :(

I have FSGRW, and I've tested it VS ASN Trial few days ago. I must say, in few test scenarios, FSGRW wasn't even close how it depicted the weather (especially clouds and visibility/fog) comparing to ASN. That was quite dissapointed for me, because I was pretty sure that FSGRW is pretty good at that. I also own Opus, and after the tests, Opus won the second place and FSGRW third.

For me, realistic weather in FSX is one of the most important factors for visual/flight immersion, that's why I bought Opus & FSGRW. Now I'm considering to buy ASN, but it is pretty hard on FPS. I hadn't enough free time to test ASN in detail, I need another trial period for that. :(

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Thanks for the heads up! :good:

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I have FSGRW, and I've tested it VS ASN Trial few days ago. I must say, in few test scenarios, FSGRW wasn't even close how it depicted the weather (especially clouds and visibility/fog) comparing to ASN. That was quite dissapointed for me, because I was pretty sure that FSGRW is pretty good at that. I also own Opus, and after the tests, Opus won the second place and FSGRW third.

For me, realistic weather in FSX is one of the most important factors for visual/flight immersion, that's why I bought Opus & FSGRW. Now I'm considering to buy ASN, but it is pretty hard on FPS. I hadn't enough free time to test ASN in detail, I need another trial period for that. :(

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk 2

Hi!

Lemme just ask you this...

How do you know that FSGRW wasn't even close and ASN was spot on?

I ask you this, because in the day ASN was released, I went to my window, took some pictures and compared to what I was seeing on both FSGRW and ASN.

FSGRW was spot on and ASN wasn't! :-)

FSGRW wasn't even close how it depicted the weather (especially clouds and visibility/fog)

I find that it's weather depiction is really good especially IMC conditions, much better than AS2012 which is why I decided to switch. I also really like the way it depicts cloud layers and fronts in particular.

For me, realistic weather in FSX is one of the most important factors for visual/flight immersion, that's why I bought Opus & FSGRW.

I'm all for that as well but I'm not really the sort of person who has to have the exact same looking weather that's outside my window and I don't really mind if clouds aren't placed in the exact same location as in real life. As long as visibility and winds (particularly upper air winds) are accurate and done appropriately for the conditions that's what matters to me most, I think FSGRW does a very good job of this.

I do notice though that HiFi may have taken a few ideas from other engines such as FSGRW by focusing more on the weather engine itself and keeping the interface simple rather than having all extras such as textures, flight planning etc which I never really used in AS2012 and are normally done by other programs anyway.

Well, as an AS beta tester, sin AS5, I might be biased in my answer, but I'll try not to...

1) I also have used FSGRW. It's a great weather injector, it's going to be updated soon, I liked it. It requires FSUIPC, and I am not using FSUIPC in FSX DX10.

2) ASN has features unique among what I know about all weather  injectors out there. To mention just a couple, I'd say that is uncomparable in terms of the way it places cloud systems in the simulator as well as their associated phenomena, allowing for precise and realistic radar echoes! The smooth cloud and wind as well as temperature transitions are also superbly modeled IMO. Then, ASN introduced types of turbulence, updrafts and downdrafts that, as far as I know, are a first time in the history of weather injection programs for FSX!

This is my oppinion.

As an X-Plane user, I know the FSGRW developers are planning an X-plane version. I will probably become an X-Plane FSGRW user :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

You guys should also remember that even AS2012 was superior to OPUS in weather, in particular,  wind accuracy. OPUS looks pretty but AS2012 was where the accuracy was.

Now with ASN I think we have the best of both now.

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I find that it's weather depiction is really good especially IMC conditions, much better than AS2012 which is why I decided to switch. I also really like the way it depicts cloud layers and fronts in particular.

I'm all for that as well but I'm not really the sort of person who has to have the exact same looking weather that's outside my window and I don't really mind if clouds aren't placed in the exact same location as in real life. As long as visibility and winds (particularly upper air winds) are accurate and done appropriately for the conditions that's what matters to me most, I think FSGRW does a very good job of this.

I do notice though that HiFi may have taken a few ideas from other engines such as FSGRW by focusing more on the weather engine itself and keeping the interface simple rather than having all extras such as textures, flight planning etc which I never really used in AS2012 and are normally done by other programs anyway.

That's why I purchased FSGRW, no fuss with UI, settings and stuff, just download the weather and fly. I don't like visibility depicition, it depicts either low visibility <16km or something like 48km or more. Very rarely saw visibility of 20 or 32km, which is default in Opus. But on the other hand Opus don't depicts visibility at all, you'll always have ground visibility you chose (in my case 32km), unless it is low vis. And on the other other hand, ASN depicts visibility at 10sm almost always, and when you pass the clouds it is suddenly at max value you set in the options, eg 100km).

FSGRW didn't depicted fog in LEBL in the test, and clearly METAR said it was 500m visibility. ASN decpicted it well with nice and thick cloud layer (fog), FSGRW puts ugly stratus layer, with lots of holes to see the ground, and in that test visibility was 48km below the clouds, completely off.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Well, there's not much fuss with ASN, weather injection is instantaneuos, and the UI is far better than FSGRW! Opus I gave up on...

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor