Sign in to follow this  
mgh

Prepar3d v2.0 requires Directx 9.0c

Almost all versions of Win 7 and Win 8 have the DX9 libraries built in. For some reason, certain people don't like to have automatic updating turned on in Windows and they get into these binds of their own doing.

Almost all versions of Win 7 and Win 8 have the DX9 libraries built in. For some reason, certain people don't like to have automatic updating turned on in Windows and they get into these binds of their own doing.

But they don't - that's the point.

Install DirectX End-User Runtime if your application or game requires an earlier version of DirectX

Some applications and games require DirectX 9. However, your computer includes a more recent version of DirectX. If you install and then run an application or game that requires DirectX 9, you might receive an error message such as "The program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

The issue is confused because FSX itself install DirectX 9.0c but doesn't remove it on uninstallation. Users of Prepare3d 1.x who'd previously installed FSX on Win7 had no problems. Those who hadn't had to install DirectX 9.0c themselves.

I see no problem with this.. Definitely not a headline. It's good information. Anyone who builds a dedicated Flight Sim box on a fresh Windows 7 or Windows 8 install would run into this minor roadblock.   Not everyone is installing Prepar3D on a computer with a ton of other games that came bundled with the DX9 install.  

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Maybe I am missing something but I installed Windows 7 all over again last weekend and after that I installed P3D 2.0 and everything runs fine. No messages or anything about DX 9. I didn't manually install it so Windows itself installed and I suppose P3D checked that. So I think only W8 users need to make sure DX9 is installed...? 

I agree. I've never seen this problem, ever. Not with either any flight sim or recent video game. I run Windows 8 x64 now and ran Windows 7 x64 before that. The problem does exist for some people, but it is not universal.

I agree. I've never seen this problem, ever. Not with either any flight sim or recent video game. I run Windows 8 x64 now and ran Windows 7 x64 before that. The problem does exist for some people, but it is not universal.

Prepar3D v2.0 itself installs DirectX 9.0c, amongst other things, as a perquisite provided setup.exe is used to install it. Using Prepar3D.msi installs it without these prerequisites

Neither Windows 7 or 8 installs it.

Windows 7 and 8 both include DirectX versions 9, 10 and 11. The problem is that MS left out a few of the DX9 libraries by mistake in certain versions of Windows. Only specific legacy apps need these missing DX9 libraries. The P3d2 installer checks for any missing DX9 files that it needs and installs anything that is missing. On a system that has had installs of legacy DX9 apps before, the files are almost certainly present already.

Why then is Lockheed Nartin's recommended system for Prepar3d 1.x Windows 7 and DirectX 9.0 - not simply DirectX 11?

Why also is Lockheed Martin advising v2.0 users to download and install DirectX 9.0c - as are other sites?

Why then is Lockheed Nartin's recommended system for Prepar3d 1.x Windows 7 and DirectX 9.0 - not simply DirectX 11?

Why also is Lockheed Martin advising v2.0 users to download and install DirectX 9.0c - as are other sites?

Because 1.x doesn't use DX11…?  :huh:

And afaik LM doesn't really advice to install DX9 but they say that it might be a good idea to do so when you have DX problems. It shouldn't be necessary at all, as others have stated already.

Answered two days ago by myself in response to your original posted headlines (now repeated and highlighted for you below). I assume it is to do with backward compatibility for older and no longer supported legacy cards etc. Most people will have dX9, some have fallen through the cracks. Good old Microsoft huh?

Yes, for some sound and input functionality. Not quite sure why the headlines?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4

Because 1.x doesn't use DX11…?

You and others are missing the point which is that. it's claimed  that DirectX 11 includes DirectX 9.0c.

Lockheed Martin's recommended system requirements for v1.4 are Windows 7 AND DirectX 9.0c. Windows 7 provides DirectX 11 so if DirectX 11 includes DirectX 9.0c why should Lockheed Martin recommend  that it should be installed again?

Similarly, why are there posts on the Prepar3D forum stating that v1.x won't run on a new Windows 7 /DirectX 11 system. It returns an error stating that it is the wrong version of DirectX and that it needs DirectX 9.0c.  The advice to install DirectX 9.0c from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35.  Again, why if it's already installed?