Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Just took off out of KFNT..into the most EVIL, ASN/FSX sky..ever!

I think that I need to go and change my shorts...

I think today, I am amongst the most 'evil' and foreboding atmospherics ever...WOW!

As I'm climbing out, and headed east towards CYYZ (Toronto, Canada)...I am being buffeted through the multi-layerd cloud bases...my airspeed is jumping like a flea, and the wings are doing the 'do NOT stress me, dance'!  As many others have stated...you can no longer B.S. your way  around the FSX skies after loading ASN.  As one poster already stated....now..weather matters....

Back to the stick 'n shake... :)  I hope to climb out to smoother air...

Whew...

Ses

I am looking outside near YYZ and weather looks pretty good....but its cold so your landing will be fine.

"Thank goodness, LOL!"

Just across the lake, the sky over KFNT (Flint) is, shall we say...turbulent.... am going to a cruise of 9,000 ASL, so should be clear of much after I post here, and rejoin the flight...

Is turbulence in layers or clouds? Or both? Can you see and avoid a buildup and by going around a buildup stay in smooth air? Seems as if moderate to sever turbulence is everywhere...

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Is turbulence in layers or clouds? Or both? Can you see and avoid a buildup and by going around a buildup stay in smooth air? Seems as if moderate to sever turbulence is everywhere...

I hit turb at 5,500 out of KFNT,and climbed out to clear and smooth air at around FL230 eastbound.  I find turb near cloud formations (as you'd expect) and of course fly to the right side of a cloud base/front....heading towards it, or can't truly avoid altogether.  I have never more heard from and seen from AccuSim since installing ASN.  To also answer your question, I headed yesterday towards KMYR from KFNT, and had mostly smooth air over most of Ohio....so I find it not 'chronic'/server, but truly X/Y positioning of your plane at any given time or location of your flight plan. Right now, I am experiencing rather stable air at FL230 as I near London, Ontario, Canada....

Also, enhanced overcast really up's the visual factor, and with it, I am still hovering give or take 3 or 4 FPS (bobbing) along the flight path, at mostly 29.9 mean average FPS/ASN.

To zone in on your question, yes, you can divert into more stable air (as per real life events)...I have done that on at least two flights to avoid a massing cloud front.  Sure glad that I am not paying for the fuel, or a just-in-time flight... (wink!).

I just did a quick flight out of KFNT to test out ASN. Wow.. was that fun but a quick question.. When I cleared the fog/visibility layer I looked back and could clearly see the airport as if there was no visibility layer at all.. Was it just me or is ASN still limited to FSX's vertical visibility limitations? Also.. took a hell of a hit on the frames.. typically I'm locked at 30, My frames were bouncing all over the place into the teens at times.

-Damien

I just did a quick flight out of KFNT to test out ASN. Wow.. was that fun but a quick question.. When I cleared the fog/visibility layer I looked back and could clearly see the airport as if there was no visibility layer at all.. Was it just me or is ASN still limited to FSX's vertical visibility limitations? Also.. took a hell of a hit on the frames.. typically I'm locked at 30, My frames were bouncing all over the place into the teens at times.

-Damien

Wasn't that a hoot?  My fillings are still rattling around. Did you by chance head East as I did?  I also have Enhanced Overcast as well..and that can bounce me around 4-5 FPS at any given time. Is it worth it?  Heck YES!  I was headed for CYYZ, but had to go and pick up my son...so started to drop down into the upper layer, just before London.  Well.....I did not see ANYTHING...anything...but grey mist...until I finally broke out just before the outer marker.  That was a rush....and all I could thing of, was NOT NOW...not my random system failures NOW......please.....and then, I broke out..and out of the fog and mist...were the approach lights....what a flippin' rush....2,200 feet down to the numbers and it snowed heavy around me until I got to the parking spot.  One of the BEST IFR scenarios I've ever had..... It felt so real...and I was so feeling isolated and vulnerable to whatever might be ahead of me in the flight path....what a rush....

Post Edit:  Oh..forgot to mention that I also hit a few 12-18 FPS episodes through some of that angry, dark, and humorless matter (smile).  For the most part though, it bounces (excuse the pun...) back to near 29-30 stasis.

A pic would have been nice... ASN got my shorts a bit brown with 80M low viz lol

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Wasn't that a hoot?  My fillings are still rattling around. Did you by chance head East as I did?  I also have Enhanced Overcast as well..and that can bounce me around 4-5 FPS at any given time. Is it worth it?  Heck YES!  I was headed for CYYZ, but had to go and pick up my son...so started to drop down into the upper layer, just before London.  Well.....I did not see ANYTHING...anything...but grey mist...until I finally broke out just before the outer marker.  That was a rush....and all I could thing of, was NOT NOW...not my random system failures NOW......please.....and then, I broke out..and out of the fog and mist...were the approach lights....what a flippin' rush....2,200 feet down to the numbers and it snowed heavy around me until I got to the parking spot.  One of the BEST IFR scenarios I've ever had..... It felt so real...and I was so feeling isolated and vulnerable to whatever might be ahead of me in the flight path....what a rush....

Post Edit:  Oh..forgot to mention that I also hit a few 12-18 FPS episodes through some of that angry, dark, and humorless matter (smile).  For the most part though, it bounces (excuse the pun...) back to near 29-30 stasis.

That was definitely a blast.. I flew the F1 King Air 200 out of Rwy 9 for a few miles until turning towards the north and gaining altitude. I didn't really go anywhere specific.. I just wanted to see how the vertical visibility was handled with the volumetric fog. Maybe it was a setting I played with but behind me was a clear path to KFNT though I had flown through several clouds and low visibility. I'd only downloaded the trial of ASN to see how it compares to OpusFSX.  I also had Extended Overcast on. That looks like a great feature.

-Damien