Sign in to follow this  

Nice default places to fly while waiting for addons?

I wonder if some of you know some nice places to fly using default scenery? Right now I am running a vanilla install of P3D and I plan to do so until various addons have been made really compatible (instead of just 'installable'). I like the Mooney Acclaim more and more (nice to fly with a G1000 without losing a single fps!) and also the A36 isn't too bad. But of course a lot of the scenery is utter, utter, utter crap. The last days I've been flying in Switzerland which doesn't look too bad and I was wondering if some of you know some more places that look okay (or maybe even good...!) by default. I prefer a lot of green so no deserts and that's a big problem with default scenery... ^_^ And I also like to fly above nature: big cities aren't my thing.

Maybe there are more patient simmers (by now...) that are interested in how to get the most fun out of P3D 2.0 default!? ^_^

Try a flight between Babb and Glacier Park in Montana. My favorite place to fly in the default scenery since FS2002. Just did the flight last night in stormy weather, and with volumetric clouds the mood was spectacular!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Thanks for the tip! This will be my next flight! I'll take of from 49S and fly towards KFCA and do a lot of free roaming sightseeing during the flight.

Remember to lean the mixture if you fly the A36! Have a nice flight!

One of the bonuses of not having Orbx to distract us is that it really gets you back to the basics of flying, exploring the world and learning (strange eh? :) ) and less about "ooOh pretty textures!".   My two long flights this week I was constantly busying plotting my course on Plan-G, monitoring my instruments, AP, navigiation, radios etc so as soon as reached one VOR waypoint I was assured the next was in range and ready to transition in a few button presses. If not I had an NDB tuned in to take up the slack.  Every now and then I had some time to look around and take a few shots..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Remember to lean the mixture if you fly the A36!

Ok LOL thanks for the tip. I'll take the Mooney Acclaim though. ^_^

and less about "ooOh pretty textures!".

Well, in all honesty... during my flights above default scenery I am constantly thinking 'Man, that looks bad' and 'Boy, why isn't FTXG fully compatible yet'... :rolleyes: During the last few months I've mainly flown using VOR only and right now it's quite nice and relaxing to fly the Acclaim with the G1000. Getting to my destination is so easy now LOL! But well, yeah, a bit boring too, specially when the scenery sucks. But I'll report back on how Montana looks in P3D!

I want to give glacier park a try too.. which airports would be a good start? Thank!

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Ok LOL thanks for the tip. I'll take the Mooney Acclaim though. ^_^

Well, in all honesty... during my flights above default scenery I am constantly thinking 'Man, that looks bad' and 'Boy, why isn't FTXG fully compatible yet'... :rolleyes: During the last few months I've mainly flown using VOR only and right now it's quite nice and relaxing to fly the Acclaim with the G1000. Getting to my destination is so easy now LOL! But well, yeah, a bit boring too, specially when the scenery sucks. But I'll report back on how Montana looks in P3D!

:lol:  Even on G1000s I avoid GPS at all costs... The only real time I use it is during the final leg when the airport doesn't have a VOR or NDB somewhat close by since I haven't learned triangulation yet.  Then I'll direct GPS to point myself to it.. Stupid math...  ^_^

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I want to give glacier park a try too.. which airports would be a good start? Thank!

Babb [49S] puts you right in the heart of the Mountains!

This is the real deal, along "Going to the Sun Road" up towards Logan Pass

Yeah, well, right... I wonder if I am going to like the P3D Montana scenery after watching that...! :rolleyes: ^_^

since I haven't learned triangulation yet

YOU SHOULD! Really! There is nothing more fun and satisfying than finding your destination using triangulation only and with no VOR nearby! And it isn't hard at all, as it may seem. Simply put: you just pick one radial to fly on and then use another to show you when you've reached your destination. Big fun.

I always use this site http://ourairports.mobi/ to find the EXACT radials you need for this. Search for the airport, go to that page and at the bottom you will see a link to nearby navaids. You need the radial numbers, not the mag ones, for exact triangulation. Here is a link to the navaids near Babb as an example:

http://ourairports.mobi/airports/49S/navaids.html

I made a similar topic a while back, might give you some ideas: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/409291-best-default-fsx-scenery/

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Hey JVanE,

Some of The Areas that I have Allways Found interesting to Fly - Are - the West Coast - From Portland North on UP into Southern Alaska - There are endless Mountins - Coast line - Beaches - Cllifs - Fijords - Some of the More Detailed Cities - Bela Cola Valley !! - (out af Vancouver) - I spend a lot of time Cruising around Ketchican and Juneau . Anchorage down to Kenai - Seward - Kodiak . I like to get up into the Mountains in a Super Cub and find a Pass !! - Also - The Iris AT6 Texan 2 - is an incredible aircraft - Stable and easy to control - set Your Altitude with Your Trim - and it stays there. Exceptionally Detailed - and FREE ! - Its NOT a VAS Hog !! - Additional Liverys ect are available FREE on the Iris Website !!

Also something else I would like to Add - To Add to the enjoyment - of Hands Off Flying - In Your P3d Config File is a seetting that eases My mind enormously - Under Realism - set Auto trim = True ! No more Chasing the altimeter All Over The Place.

No matter which Flight Sim You fly - these Areas will give You Some of the Nicest Scenery - Down Close - 1500ft ! - in the Sim .

Add Note : Im flying P3D V1.4 For Now - I want to Upgrade My Computer and Let You Guys work out the kinks in V2 before I Switch !

So Let Me know what You think in the meantime !!

Johnman

Thanks for these wonderful tips. Now my question is should I install better mesh? I have FSGenesis mesh but am afraid of whether it could mess up P3D v2.

With default mesh, doe these place still look good enough?

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

J van E, on 17 Dec 2013 - 1:22 PM, said:

Thanks for the tip! This will be my next flight! I'll take of from 49S and fly towards KFCA and do a lot of free roaming sightseeing during the flight.

KFCA - Kentucky Fried Chicken Association...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2