Sign in to follow this  

Nice default places to fly while waiting for addons?

I do not yet have P3D, but in FSX, the default scenery for all of Japan was done very well. This may also be the case with P3D.

Well, I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I managed to squeeze in that short flight from 49S to the Kentucky Fried Chicken Association. ^_^ It was great! I loaded the weather theme Building Storms and I think that will be my default one for now: it gives you great looking clouds (better than when you use the default weather theme) and you fly in and out of clouds and fog: nice! Anyway, that scenery is indeed a joy to fly over. Ok, the colors are a bit bland but other than that it's a great area to fly around in.

I also was very happy (again) with the autogen: when I flew over the last mountain ridge, approaching KFCA, it was GREAT seeing all that autogen already there. rock solid. As it it always had been there. ^_^ As you can see here:

11424998743_4b648963da_o.jpg

Ok, that wasn't the greatest pic every but I forgot to press V earlier on and in the sim it looked great. I guess you had to be there to appreciate it. ^_^ I also once more really enjoyed the VC shadows in the Acclaim.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I will fly up the West Coast soon and have a look at Japan: if that country looked ok in FSX it also should look okay in P3D. ^_^

Well, there luckily and clearly is a lof of fun to be had with P3D 2.o default. But don't let that stop the devs from upgrading their addons...!

Ah gotcha sorta. Fly to VOR, turn the heading of the airport form the VOR.. 

Yeah, well, right... I wonder if I am going to like the P3D Montana scenery after watching that...! :rolleyes: ^_^

YOU SHOULD! Really! There is nothing more fun and satisfying than finding your destination using triangulation only and with no VOR nearby! And it isn't hard at all, as it may seem. Simply put: you just pick one radial to fly on and then use another to show you when you've reached your destination. Big fun.

I always use this site http://ourairports.mobi/ to find the EXACT radials you need for this. Search for the airport, go to that page and at the bottom you will see a link to nearby navaids. You need the radial numbers, not the mag ones, for exact triangulation. Here is a link to the navaids near Babb as an example:

http://ourairports.mobi/airports/49S/navaids.html

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Gotcha, simple.. Anyway to get the radial from a VOR in Plan-G? Only tool I found was QDM but that's magnetic.. 

Edit.. Nevermind.. Duh.. It's shown right in the flight plan when you make one.

I'm having a "I'm an idiot day".. 

Double edit: Success flying to directly an airport using a VOR 20 miles away.. I have no idea why I never picked up on this sooner.. This is stupidly simple...  I'm almost embarrassed.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Hey All,

this is turning into a neat topic !! I'm going to tryout Japan - Hawaii is also FUN !!

As We Used to say at Mohawk - Have a Nice Flight !!

Johnman

I haven't tried it in P3D yet, but the area around Niagra Falls were done well in FSX. I used to hop around all the small airports there in the A2A Piper Cub.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I haven't tried it in P3D yet, but the area around Niagra Falls were done well in FSX. I used to hop around all the small airports there in the A2A Piper Cub.

I second this..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I also decided not to install too much stuff beside EZCA, track IR and Opus. I started a cross country flight from comox in British Columbia with the objective to reach St-John Newfoundland in a few weeks. The Area around Hope aiport in the Fraser river valley is very scenic.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

You guys are going to mess up the entire hobby. We are here to Tweak and complain...not Fly!!!LOL Have fun!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Hi Jeroen,

I’m not sure how a small GA aircraft would do with these flights, given the necessary altitudes involved:

Flying from my home airport of KBJC,  KBJC-RLG-KEGE (Eagle County airport, or better known as the “Vail Valley” airport).  You will need something to get you over the 13,000 foot Rockies, and the steep climb from KBJC to the summit of the Front Range may mean a circling climb  J.  (If you take off on runway 29R at KBJC, and maintain runway heading until you get to the base of the mountains, you will be above Boulder where I live!).

Another idea-  similar mountainous terrain-  Zurich LSZH to Milan LIM? Over the Swiss/Italian Alps is great in default FSX scenery (I haven’t yet made the switch to P3Dv2 but will likely do so very soon).

Thanks,  Bruce.

Hi Jeroen,

I’m not sure how a small GA aircraft would do with these flights, given the necessary altitudes involved:

Flying from my home airport of KBJC,  KBJC-RLG-KEGE (Eagle County airport, or better known as the “Vail Valley” airport).  You will need something to get you over the 13,000 foot Rockies, and the steep climb from KBJC to the summit of the Front Range may mean a circling climb  J.  (If you take off on runway 29R at KBJC, and maintain runway heading until you get to the base of the mountains, you will be above Boulder where I live!).

Another idea-  similar mountainous terrain-  Zurich LSZH to Milan LIM? Over the Swiss/Italian Alps is great in default FSX scenery (I haven’t yet made the switch to P3Dv2 but will likely do so very soon).

Thanks,  Bruce.

Thanks Bruce!

The Mooney Acclaim can handle the mountains fine. It has the performance of a turboprop.

It's shown right in the flight plan when you make one.

I'm having a "I'm an idiot day".. 

Double edit: Success flying to directly an airport using a VOR 20 miles away.. I have no idea why I never picked up on this sooner.. This is stupidly simple...  I'm almost embarrassed.. 

LOL And it's fun, isn't it?! ^_^ But are you using another VOR to check your position? Although flying on a certain radial from one VOR does work, it isn't triangulation.  ^_^ I always pick one VOR to fly on and another to see if I reached my destination: for that you simply set the second VOR to the desired radial and when you are getting closer to you destination you will see that VOR needle starts moving: when it is in the middle (and you are flying on the right radial from the first VOR) you will be at your destination! And btw you don't HAVE to actually fly on one radial all the time: you can also use both VORs to reach your destination without flying on the radials but by checking your position using them, like for instance when you are coming in from the south and the VORs you use are in the east and west. Anyway, flying with VOR is great fun.

BTW I am no expert on this but as I said I always use http://ourairports.mobi/ to find the exact radials: the headings which are shown in the flight plan, aren't necessarily the exact radials you need to fly on. When you check out that link you will see there are 'mag' headings but also 'radials' and those numbers are slightly different. I am sure someone else can explain why this is the way it is but anyway, that's why I use that site because figuring out the radials yourself is a bit hard (for me at least). Now I am told that it doesn't really make a difference if you have the number a bit wrong, but I like things to be EXACT.  ^_^

And thanks for all the suggestions: great! I've got a lot of flying to do the coming days LOL! And the Mooney Acclaim should get me over those 13,000 foot Rockies no problem!

Try a flight between Babb and Glacier Park in Montana. My favorite place to fly in the default scenery since FS2002. Just did the flight last night in stormy weather, and with volumetric clouds the mood was spectacular!

Woweeewowwow!! And damn-yer-eyes-simmerhead!

I lost an hour and a half of sleep last night just because of you and P3D v2 and Orbyx Ftxglobal v1.2 ( http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/69629-ftx-global-120-patch/ )

… Wowweeee!!

... Oh and did I mention that I did it in my brandy new...

...wait for it...

post-223665-0-70117600-1387375293.jpg!

...and yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus… That's a real WORKING AOA (angle of attack display)!

A 67-year-old is not supposed to be so giddy!

So, does P3Dv2 have problems?… Absolutely!

Does it show me the way to go and do I believe that Lockheed Martin and it's incredibly important add-on vendors will solve their problems?

Ab-so-freaking-lutly!

I'm going to lose another three hours tonight?

... probably!

Thank you Lockheed Martin!!

...Thank you Orbyx!

....Thank you FS Genesis!

...Thank you Realair!

Oh, btw... A certain tubeliner who's name contains a G and an X , in close proximity, who's publisher shall remain nameless shows great promise of working in P3DV2 as well…

… 'nuff said...

Chas

I'm a happy camper today

Film at six!...maybe

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Perhaps someone could use the simdirect and make me some Aerocache's of the day. Um, whats that remind ya of. :)

Glad I could be of help :D

We're getting somewhere, and the passion and dedication of the P3D-team is evident. Once the bugs are ironed out, and the talented developers have swallowed the Kool-Aid, we'll all be giddy! Lets face it, there are no alternatives, and Lockheed Martin has generously treated us with a future in a hobby that was going nowhere fast.

Glad I could be of help :D

...Lets face it, there are no alternatives, ...

...wellllllllll The 777 Pro ain't no PMDG T7, but I gotta to say that I'm pretty impressed with it and the possibilities of the expansion of the X-plane franchise… and so are Carenado and more 'en several others...

...Ducking

C

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2