Sign in to follow this  
tanker

ASN and Computer Freezes

I have a feeling that when Pete Dowson returns from holiday and puts out a new version, some of these issues will be resolved. At least I sure HOPE so!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi Daniel and Vic!

I am pleased to report that I just completed a 3 hour flight complete with missed approach and rough destination weather with no lockups using Daniel's suggestion about unlocked frame rates.  I did use the B744 though so I will need to confirm it with NGX or ConcordeX since they have greater demand on resources.  Anyway, NO LOCKUPS for the first time on flights over 2 hours with ASN.  It makes no sense so again, is it a fluke?  My FPS varied between 35 and 75 most of the way with all sliders to the right and CDD at 105nm in ASN with enhanced weather, etc.  I also was using the ASN weather gauge and 100% UT2 traffic.   I will try a totally different long flight with a different aircraft tomorrow and will keep you posted.

Have you tried any other flights with your hypothesis, Daniel?  If it keeps working then we can file this issue and begin enjoying the flights again with this great weather generator.  I will continue to use your method until I get a failure and I hope that never happens.  Thanks for the insight.

Craig:

That is really good news. Happy for you! I was hoping that could fix the problem, but of course you never know as set ups differ etc. 

Is it a fluke? I don't think so. I have had these 8 minute freezes consistently lately when flying the NGX and 777. I was always expecting it and it happened almost every single time. Expecially if the flights were - well, say more than 2 hours in duration. 

I am absolutely positive that after I set unlimited frames in FSX I haven't had a single freeze in the NGX. Haven't checked the 777 yet, but have made many many successful flights with the NGX. 

I Have win7, nividia with latest driver,no external frame limiter, ASN, FSUIPC, FSInn.

Let me know how if anything changes (it shouldn't)  ^_^

Best regards

Good Morning, Daniel (at least it is over here!):

I am glad I heard back from you.  Hopefully with your permission, I have alerted those having the same problem in the HIFI forum about your find.  For the past week, every day seemed to bring about a new theory from somebody and now they have fell silent waited for "us" to confirm your find.  I am glad I heard back that you have yet to have a failure.  My system sounds similar to yours but I have VISTA 64 which is the same OS technology so we should have similar results.

I did notice one thing, however.  That is that now that I am able to complete flights and with FSUIPC wind smoothing disabled, I am occasionally getting the sudden aileron roll problem just before touchdown.  When NGX first came out this was solved by using a registered version of FSUIPC with wind smoothing.  Damian (HIFI) claimed that the new ASN program made the wind smoothing setting  unnecessary because there no longer would be the sudden wind shifts.  I agree.  I have not observed sudden wind shifts with ASN, but this sudden hard roll just before touchdown without any indicated wind shear or wake turbulence as an apparent cause is a point of concern if it continues to happen.  Just a heads up if you have had any such incidents.

Since you have extensively tested the NGX, I will skip that test and try a long flight in the MD11 followed by one in the ConcordeX.  I hope that others who are reading this will also try this and report their results.

Good morning to you as well, Craig.

I wasn't even aware that the issue was so common. I am just glad I could be of assistance.

Can't say I've encountered the aileron roll problem though, so I don't have a take on that. :-)

Be interested to hear what your results will be with the PMDG 777 on longer flights.  I don't have the plane but I have noticed that there seem to be other issues with it that are causing problems which promise to be alleviated when they release SP1.  So you may experience lockups but due to something not yet fixed in the PMDG model itself and unrelated to 'our' issue.  Do you have ConcordeX?  A test in that model for a long, say 3 hour, transatlantic flight would be telling since it is almost as resource demanding as the NGX.  

Hi!

I installed FSUIPC but FSX still freezes. Sometimes after a couple of hours, sometimes after as long 9-10 hours of flight. When it freezes I can still hear the sound but can't do anything else. I haven't enabled anything in FSUIPC as many says it's that that causes the freeze. When running AS 2012 I never have problems.

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

So I'll try to set the framerate to unlimited and see if I get as lucky as you guys. Will give feedback here when I tried.

Hi!

I installed FSUIPC but FSX still freezes. Sometimes after a couple of hours, sometimes after as long 9-10 hours of flight. When it freezes I can still hear the sound but can't do anything else. I haven't enabled anything in FSUIPC as many says it's that that causes the freeze. When running AS 2012 I never have problems.

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

So I'll try to set the framerate to unlimited and see if I get as lucky as you guys. Will give feedback here when I tried.

Sorry to hear that 'Laban4'.  

Since these are lockups (and, yes, you are experiencing exactly what we have been experiencing) they are not permanent crashes but only long pauses while FSX/ASN is completing some mysterious processing.  It will take 8 minutes of patience and then the flight can continue without incident.  Granted it is not what we want to deal with, but after a 9-10 hour flight, the last thing you need to do is close FSX. 

The first thing to note (and my testing has confirmed it) this does not seem to be a memory-related issue, however, I have manually increased my VM in windows to 12 GB (formula being 2.5 X VAS and FSX can access up to 4 GB VAS if you have a 64 bit OS.  If 32 bit, then it will be limited to 3 GB).  

FSX/ASN both need 'contiguous' memory sequences for updates so increasing VM will allow FSX the maximum resources during your flights.   That adjustment alone eliminated any lockups on short flights for me even with NGX (memory-gobbler!) but this did not end the problem for me on flights lasting over 2 hours.  It would lockup and take 8 minutes to clear.

So far setting unlimited frame rates (and disabling any external frame rate limiter) has eliminated the lockups on the longer flights we have tested so far.

BTW, if you include your name in the post or in your signature, it will be easier for us to communicate with you.

Give these suggestions a try.  The more people we have testing the sooner we can all determine whether this will do the trick but I haven't a clue why changing our frame rate settings would affect our outcome.  But if it works....

Hi!

VM and VAS? I'm not so good at computers. If increasing as you mentioned, can that help the freeze? And how do I increase it manually?

As I wrote before I'll try to set framerate to unlimited and see what hapends. If it still freezes I will try to see for how long. The clock on the panel is in UTC, so it'll be easy to see for how long it has froozen.

Best regards/Alex

Hi Alex!

I have VISTA 64 so on my machine I pull up control panel and click on system and when the display comes up I select 'advanced system setting' and if you look closely you will see in the middle of the next display something referring to Virtual Memory.  Just click on that and you have several options.  I select to set it "manually' and since FSX can only access 4 GB paging (VAS) I set it to 2.5 x that or 12 GB.  If you have Windows 7 the setup should be very similar if not exactly the same.

As for the time to recover it you still get a "lockup", you will not be able to tell from your FSX clock since everything just stops for that 8 minutes and then resumes at the exact point it stopped.  I just use the clock on my cell phone so I don't disturb the FSX display.

The good news is that I just completed a long 3+ hour flight in the MD11 and again no lockups with frames set to unlimited so for some reason it seems to work.  Daniel (in a previous post) came up with the idea and, last I checked, he is having the same successes that I am having, and believe me, every flight was locking up at about the 2 hour inflight point before so I think it may be the solution as mystifying as it may be.  I guess we'll leave it to the Devs to figure out why it works.

Cheers!

@ Daniel:

Completed the test for MD11:  3.2 hours inflight time with heavy weather departure and destination include Thunderstorms, and windshear and very heavy traffic for the first 2 hours and absolutey smooth performance with no stutters or lockups.  Maintained a constant 2.2 GB available VAS throughout the entire flight.  FPS was a little low first part of the flight (15-22 fps) but it was unnoticeable.  As soon as I got out of heavy weather and low heavy traffic my frames went from 35-45 with occasionally as high as 70 fps.

I have one last plane I want to run through the paces and that is the ConcordeX because next to the NGX and 777 it is the most resource demanding.  As I mentioned in the above post...it is a mystery why this works, Daniel, but it is truly a stroke of genius on your part.  We will leave it to the HiFi Devs to figure out why it works.

Oh, yes, and no sudden aileron rolls this trip.  Must have just been a fluke with the B744.

Craig, great stuff! Nice to be able to enjoy the flight without worrying about lockups and freezes, isn't it? ;) 

I will get on with testing the 777 also.

I was hoping you would do that, but if, by chance, you get lockups on the 777 don't draw any conclusions because as I mentioned before they seem to be having lockup issues not related to ASN according to some posts on their forum.

Again, Daniel, it was a stroke of genius.  It was a real downer to finally find a weather program that does it all so realistically and then find out that you can't use it on any flights!  Your solution has renewed my enthusiasm.

Also, there are many on different threads that are having exactly the same problem using ASN that we had but Damian and Kostas have been conspicuously silent on the matter in their forums.  Either they are secretly trying to resolve it or were waiting for one of us users to come up with the solution.  Looks like you did.

Thanks again.

Craig - we're pretty sure that many of the lockups are related to FSUIPC. However, Pete is on holiday for another week so other than listen to the suggestions fr the community there's not too much that can be done.until he returns and pops out a new version.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I was hoping you would do that, but if, by chance, you get lockups on the 777 don't draw any conclusions because as I mentioned before they seem to be having lockup issues not related to ASN according to some posts on their forum.

Craig, I haven't checked the 777 yet. However, I did a very lengthy test in the 737 today. I ran FSX/ASN for a whole 11 hours non-stop on Vatsim with 4 sectors in the NGX back to back for a total of 7 hrs flying time. No freezes. B)  

Hi Folks!

If you have been following these threads you are aware that Daniel Nilsson and I have been testing a possible workaround and it has so far been proving to prevent the 8 minute lockup.  There may be other crashes and/or lockups with other causes depending on computer equipment but those having the 8 minute lockup all seem to be describing the exact same issue and is that issue that has been plaguing me since the advent of ASN.

I just had a lockup on a ConcordeX test flight but this time there were some anomalies that I no doubt caused myself so it was not a true test.  I did get a freeze, however, and again it cleared itself in exactly 8 minutes as they have always done.  This time, however, I checked ASN tools window and pulled up the error report...something about not able to access a 'pipe' or something...totally beyond my understanding but I selected the SEND option on the report so I assume it went in to HiFi.

I did note that ASN had disconnected at the exact same moment that FSX cleared and resumed.  I hadn't ever checked before but maybe ASN is attempting something and the failure just times out in 8 minutes and that is why the lock clears.  I will refly the same exact flight and see if I can again induce the error and this time I will be more careful to provide more information

Hi Daniel!

I was posting at the same time.  Again, my freeze might be related to the fact that I had heavy thunderstorms at my departure airport and the ConcordeX just doesn't handle them well.  I went out of control and opted to restart from my takeoff point but without restarting FSX so something may have given me corruption (ConcordeX sometimes does not reload correctly from a saved position for me)  The 2nd time the flight went fine without much turbulence.  I just assumed I had maneuvered around the cells but then the weather depiction just didn't seem right so I tabbed out to desktop and check ASN and the simconnect for ASN failed to reconnect when I did the restart.  I restarted ASN at that point and resumed my flight.  Withing about 2 minutes the lockup occurred.  

So, not a pure test.  Need to redo the flight with a clean FSX and ASN.  Glad to hear that you are having no incidents with the NGX.  If it were going to occur, I am sure it would have in that 7 hours.

Oh, BTW, notice that Vic seems to think it is FSUIPC related.  What version are you using?  As soon as I finish this ConcordeX test, I am going to deactivate its 'dll' entirely and try some flights.  The version I am using is v4.8.4, much older than the one you are using, I am sure so the fact that we both have had experience with the exact same 8 minute locks and are now having lock-free flights seem to indicate that it is NOT FSUIPC related but Dawson should be back at work shortly so he can test it from his end.