Sign in to follow this  
drodri1

FS9 crashes right before a landing!

Hello,

This is the first time I ask for help, so bare with me.  Normally I have been able to fix all my problems thru this forum but now I'm stuck.

I am currently having trouble with FS9.  On a long flight (Madrid - Hong Kong), right before landing (approx. 200 feet from runway), the sound stops and FS9 suddenly crashes.  At first, I received a virtual memory error message, but I increased the ram and virtual memory, so this is not the case any more.  Now, it just shuts down with no excuse.  I need help with this, does anyone have any idea how to fix this?  I have tried everything I know.

Information regarding flight:

Addon scenery: Aerosoft Madrid Barajas and Imagine Simulations Hong Kong - VHHH

Aircraft: Overland A340-600

Flight time: 12hr 30min, modifying speed to X16 on most of the flight except the first and last 30 minutes.

Traffic: Compiled different traffic files and, must admit, have a lot of traffic.  Sometimes so much that there are no open spaces at some airports. (Note: all textures are correct and showing, this is not the reason it shuts down)

Computer specs:

Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.2GHz

RAM: 9 GB

Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce GTX 480

Well my first suggestion is to review the Crash to Desktop guide, here:

http://forum.avsim.net/files/go/5ce9c58b81f26eec30e04ea2dd882045/avsim-crash-to-desktop-guide-for-fsx-p3d-fs9

What I believe is happening to you is a common problem, but it is not an issue with how much memory you have, virtual or otherwise.  The issue is that FS9 is a 32 bit app and, as such, can only access 2 GB of address space.  This error comes up when FS9 tries to access memory address space that isn't available within its' allocated 2 GB.  The way to fix this is to make FS9 "Large address aware" so that it can take advantage of the additional address space.  You can do this quite easily with a program called CFF explorer, here:

http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php

Go through the Crash to Desktop document first and see if that fixes the problem for you.  If not, let me know and I'll try to help you out, as soon as I can, with the other solution I mentioned

Cheers!!

Jeff

First thing I would do is check the both add-on airport sceneries with alpha searcher and if ok try the flight without AI. 

Thanks very much. 

to edetroit: I did try the flight without AI and it still crashed.  Except this time, it said I ran out of memory again.

to Jeff:  I'll start with the first step.  I have downloaded the AVSIM CTD Guide and will start reading it.  I'll let you know if I find something .

Thanks again!

Jeff,

I have followed the CTD guide (Event Viewer didn't log the error, so I tried disabling the addon and re-installing it among other things)) and retried the flight but FS9 shut down again at about the same point.  I think its time to do the other solution.  I have already checked out how other forums on how to use CFF Explorer but it seems that some people try different things. 

Example, some use two steps (ONE: changing a line in the command promp and then using CFF to change fs9.cfg). While others skip the first step and just use CFF directly.

I ask this because I understand some of have different systems and versions of FS and I would like to know if there's a forum that I have not found where there may be specific instructions on how to do this with a FS9 and WIN 7 64Bit.

Just trying to avoid making matters worst!

Thanks!

Ok great.   Glad you've taken a look at the process.  That will make this easy.  :smile:

So first thing is that since you're running a 64 bit operating system, you can skip the first step altogether.  The only thing we need to do is set the correct flag in the program.  Before you do this, make a copy of your FS9.exe file.  I've never had a problem with this, but it's always good practice to make a backup, just in case.

1. Open up CFF Explorer

2. Click on the file menu/open and navigate to your FS9.exe file.

3. In the left pane click on the + sign next to File:FS9.exe

4. Look for the subheading NT Headers/File header and left click on that.

5. In the right pane, on the last row of the table you'll see Characteristics.  In the last column you'll see Click here.  Click there  :smile:

6.About half way down in the popup window look for App can handle >2GB address space.  Click the box next to it so that there is a check mark in the box.  Click OK.

7. Go back to the file menu and click on Save as.  Save the file as FS9.CFF 

Once you're done with that, close out CFF explorer.  Go to your FS9 folder and rename your FS9.exe to FS9.org.  Then rename the file you just saved (FS9.cff) to FS9.exe,  If you're using a shortcut, make sure you create a new one from the new executable file.  Go Fly.
Let me know if that fixes the problem.

Cheers. :smile:

Jeff,

Thank you very much....It worked!  It stuttered somewhat on landing, but it landed!

Thanks again! 

Great!!  Glad to help.  Yeah sometimes you'll get that stutter and then another you might not, but it shouldn't CTD anymore. 
That stutter might have been your heart starting to beat faster as you get closer to the point where it was crashing, then you sail through it.   :lol: