Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

American Airlines to use old paint scheme?

For those of you following the merger of American Airlines and US Airways, this has been an exciting year.   Along the way, AA rolled out a new controversial livery and there had been much discussion since about which one people prefer.  It looks like Doug Parker, the new CEO of the combined carrier, is letting the employees have the final say:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/airline-industry/20131216-new-american-airlines-boss-to-let-employees-decide-on-airplane-paint-job.ece

I was always curious about why the previous American management had authorized the new paint scheme when the merger was not even announced or approved, because if they now decide to keep the old livery a lot of money has been wasted.  However, upon a close analysis of the article, Mr. Parker is only considering changing the tail, and keeping the rest of the new scheme intact, like a hybrid scheme. 

Anyhow, I have been an avid follower of the two carriers, even investing significant amounts of my own money in trading the stock of both carriers.  This is a rather interesting development, and the article explains some of the rationale behind the change to the legacy livery, such as the composite construction of newer equipment like the 787.

Not really.  The article only mentions the tail.  The rest of the aircraft will keep the new livery.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I don't know why one of the options isn't just to put the new stylized eagle logo that's on the forward fuselage on the tail - that would look great I think. It's the garish flag thing that's the problem, not the entire new livery.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The only thing that MAY be changed is the tail. Employees of the merged airline will vote on what tail style will be used. Either what is in place now (the hideous flag motif) or the older AA with the eagle. Voting closes out January 2.

NAX669.png

I was always curious about why the previous American management had authorized the new paint scheme when the merger was not even announced or approved

The new livery had nothing to do with the merger. It was decided upon before American had agreed to merge with US Airways. The only reason they're looking at a change now is because it has been an issue with the American Airline employees. It's been rumored for a while that they were looking at changing it. I'm a long time US Airways employee who grew up in an American Airlines family.( My father and two brothers retired from AA.) Personally, I'm OK with the front of the airplane but that tail has got to go.

NAX669.png

If they don't do something with that fuselage I'd stick with the new livery. Talk about a bland look with the old AA logo on the tail. Seeing how America West's livery was nicely merged with USAirways there has to be something nice they can do with the two airline liveries (USAirways/American) if their going back to the old tail. Can you imagine what things would look like if they went United's route. I actually got used to the new American look. The more planes with this livery on ramp the better the whole idea looks.

post-101965-0-87223000-1387391831.jpg

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Here's what it should be:

post-101965-0-00194400-1387392804.jpg

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Pepsi? Yeah, I can see that. Now I need some ice, limes and a bottle of rum.

I don't mind a flag on the tail similar to British Airways or Air France but to me American have not nailed a great design. When you look at British Airways or Air France theirs looks graceful with a flowing feel about it. Americans look like a barbershop pole and doesn't really have the look or feel of the Stars and Strips or any flow to it. Maybe they have a Barbershop in the back of the airplanes now  :lol:

livery.png

Matthew Kane

Americans look like a barbershop pole and doesn't really have the look or feel of the Stars and Strips
[/quote

Matthew,

That's what I've called the new tail. The barber pole. It just doesn't look good and completely ignores the legacy of the American Airlines eagle.

This is actually the best paint scheme I've seen. I don't remember where I downloaded this from. It might even been here at Avsim. Unfortunately, this was not an option for us.

post-123844-0-92516100-1387402490.jpg

NAX669.png

Americans look like a barbershop pole and doesn't really have the look or feel of the Stars and Strips

[/quote

Matthew,

That's what I've called the new tail. The barber pole. It just doesn't look good and completely ignores the legacy of the American Airlines eagle.

This is actually the best paint scheme I've seen. I don't remember where I downloaded this from. It might even been here at Avsim. Unfortunately, this was not an option for us.

attachicon.gifIMG_0012.JPG

That one is reminiscent of the old United Airlines grey livery. which I liked as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:United_Airlines_777_N777UA.jpg

Matthew Kane

Maybe they have a Barbershop in the back of the airplanes now  :lol:

Don't give them any ideas!  Another fee!   Maybe they can add a quiet room for all the cell phone gabbers?