Sign in to follow this  
wmcmahon

Flight Planning - Suggestions

I just got my FSX setup the way I like it and I'm ready to do some really short GA flights.  When I was younger my dad used to take me up in his C172 from CYQG (Windsor Ontario) to KSKY (Sandusky Airport) and fly over Cedar Point in Ohio.  I would like to replicate this flight, but I want to do it properly by mapping out a nice flight plan to follow. 

Are there any tools, addons or tutorials that you guys could suggest for someone brand new to something like this?  Am I biting off more than I can chew?  Should I start smaller?  

How does flight planning work in FSX?  Do you use an external program to plan your flight, then does it setup waypoints on the GPS or something?  Or do you do it all by hand?  I have experience with navigation from my boating days and have done manual navigation before, so I understand the concepts... just need to know how to do it within FSX. 

Thanks so much for your help!

I think the best solution would be to use the FSX internal flight plan program.  Once set up you can print out the Nav Log.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Don't VFR flight rules apply here? Get a nice addon scenery and fly by the landmarks.

There's a really aged payware addon around, called 'FS Discover': It includes a huge no. of landmarks, and positions and names of towns, rivers etc.

You can create a flightplan in FSX native format within that addon and just fly the route. It also offers the option to display names of objects during your flight, so it can be educational and help you navigating visually at the same time.

The product and its database are rather old, so you may want to check the demo version first and, perhaps, wait for discounts during a sale.

Ok great.  Thanks so much, I found some tutorials on how to use the ingame native flight planner plus using the in game GPS to navigate those plans.  I've also looked up some real life approaches for both KSKY and CYQG.  I think I'm all set.  Thanks, I didn't know the ingame planner was so powerful.  

Try PlanG it's a far better planning tool than the built in one.

Gives you a good map interface and of you have fsupic installed (free version is fine) you can plug it into the sim and it'll track you on the map, display traffic and give you lots of flight information enroute.

Only snag is you have to alt-tab to view it while in game if you're running fullscreen...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk