Sign in to follow this  
WoodsGlen

New to forum with 3 monitors / GT 640 2GB Question for A-10C

I'm setting up a family flight sim.

I'm new to Flight Sims, other than the old days of WW2 fighters and the microsoft Force feedback pro with a game port.

Can I run 3 monitors on the single 2 gig EVGA GeForce GT640  with the following setup?..  ( I would prefer to keep it simple and run this one card...   at least to to start)

I have no clue if the motherboard ( see bleow ) would support 2 graphics cards or if you can run the internal graphics on the motherboard and an external card and get three independant monitor views. ( or more)?

This is all new to me.  I know the Computer is not the best but replacing it is really not an option with the cost of the other stuff.  I hope there is not too much info here...

Flight Sim Hardware aquired ( on the way ) so far is:

• Thrustmaster a10 thunderbolt (stick and throtttle)
  • saitek combat rudder pedals
  • Track IR v5

• Planning on Flight software....
  • DCS a-10C
  • and probably something like X plane

Computer:

HP:  P6331p  - Cheap -   But it's a quad core 64 bit Windows 7 machine vs a better built 32 bit dual core Vista machine.

• EVGA GeForce GT640 2GB ddr3 pci express
    • direct X 11
    • Open GL4.2
    • 2 DVI ports
    • 1 mini HDMI port
  • 16 Gigs Corsair XMS3 SDRAM DDR3

Processor:  AMD II X4 630

• Manufacturer: Foxconn
  • Form factor: uATX
  • Chipset: AMD 785G
  • Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3
  • Front side bus speeds: 5200 MT/s
  • Processor socket: AM3
  • Expansion Slots:
    • 1 PCI x16 slot for graphics card
    • 3 PCI x1 slots
    • 1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot

Many thanks!

Woodsglen

You certainly can run three monitors off the GT640 but for how well it will perform you might get more relevant info here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?s=9f95ed1af20b38f4e94d14029b207fa0&f=107

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I think you could experience good FSX-performance from your hardware. I run FSX  on three monitors with a single Geforce GTX 650. I will at some point upgrade to SLI-configuration but not now as I already get 24-30 stable frames under almost any conditions. I am also able to set LOD=6.5, which gives the sharpness needed for surround-view.

Have fun setting up your FSX-computer! Just make sure that your third monitor can connect with HDMI.  :smile:

The GT 640 isn't known as a gaming card but also that it isn't listed on Nvidia's site for being able to run a 3 monitor setup. It may be able to use 3 displays, but I don't think as an extended/spanned display.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

The GT 640 isn't known as a gaming card but also that it isn't listed on Nvidia's site for being able to run a 3 monitor setup. It may be able to use 3 displays, but I don't think as an extended/spanned display.

Surround listed here:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt640/specifications

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

GOOD... I'm goinging to gather up my collection of monitors and hdmi tv's and see what I come up with.  I'll hold any questions that i have for now until I read what you guys put up in links and start hooking things up.  Typipcally things get answered as you go along.    Like  What the Heck is FSX ???   embarrassingly . I actually had to google that one and finally figured it out.  

I see MR 767 made the same error I did..  GTx instead of GT.   Well, at least I have some places to look. I was starting to worry because I was reading you can, you can't.. yada yada...   

I started out confused about the GT - GTX difference ( of which there seems to be a Huge difference in performance)  which is why I could not afford one when i bought my gpu !

Well, at least we can fly and not have to stare out of one screen.   I can live with not seeing every little scenery detail untill I can fall back and regroup on the cash outlay.  

HEY.. I found a brand spanking new white racing style high back leather bucket seat on craigs list for $100 bucks!  

01212_e9DY4ZowUUP_600x450.jpg

OK...  thanks for the info and I'll be back with more questions, I'm sure.

thanks!!!!

Woodsglen.

I made the decision of getting ( what I felt ) was a decent controller first, and use my existing hardware rather than spend money on something I ( we would  ) get bored with or wish we had bought in short order, so the Thrustmaster worthog seemed like a controller that could have a lot of options for other aircraft as far as switches and control options ( as well as a mock up of the A-10 )

I do have

Ah I see, my mistake. I had looked at http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/3dvision-surround/system-requirements but maybe that's for the 3d Surround only, not the 2d. 3 monitors though is still a ton of pixels and power for a low end card.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS