Sign in to follow this  
teitouse

OpusFSX won't start.

Hi everyone,

After having installed OpusFSX on my new computer for about a week, i started to do long haul flights and noticed the upper level winds / temperatures were not accurate at all, and even sometimes the complete opposite of what the real winds were. Reading the forums a little i found it was because the program didn't download the GRIB data... I had it on my old computer and it worked fine with winds extremely precise and accurate (congrats for this amazing software by the way).

I still don't know why it didn't download the GRIB data, even after putting all the options to default etc... The weather on the ground is fine and accurate, i juste have problems with the Grib weather. But that's not the main reason of my post : to try and solve the problem, i uninstalled Opus and reinstalled it.

But now, when i click on "FSXSERVER.exe", it won't start... i see the window popping for about 0.0001 sec, and then closing. I spent my afternoon trying everything, but nothing seems to work.

It was uninstalled correctly, it's installed in C:\OpusFSX , i followed every recommandation in your guide and on the forums, i always run it as admin, i have sharing and permissions on C: and fsx. I stopped my antivirus.

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Best Regards,

Gaston W.

You must uninstall using Control Panel before upgrading or installing a new beta. The FSXSERVER program will abort or not run at all if it finds a mismatched build. The FSDECODER program will not run if it has a mismatched build.

Please follow the Recommended Practices displayed via the Question Mark button, also available on our SimForums.

You must specify a cruise altitude of at least 6000 feet before getting GRIB data. Open the Spy and follow the download progress. Have a look at your FSDECODER.log file for any decoding errors.

Make sure you never run an anti virus program that will block the decoder program. The Spy window will show you what's happening. If you follow the Recommended Practices you will always know before flight what weather to expect including upper winds. Also confirms all has been downloaded OK.

Stephen :-)

My guess is the first option above. That's the only thing that will cause the FSXSERVER program to abort and the FSDECODER program to refuse to decode.

Try downloading the latest release 3.38.6. After uninstalling check your OpusFSX folder and make sure there are no EXEs or DLLs there.

Let us know how you get on. There is also an FAQ covering this topic.

Stephen

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for your quick reply. I uninstalled using Control Panel as recommended, and installed again using the Flight1 program. I unwrapped the Opusfsx.msi installer in C:. Because it didn't work better after that (fsxserver still wouldn't start), i uninstalled again using the Control Panel and downloaded the upgrade version from your website and installed it. Same problem. I saw a post earlier on the forum with users having the same problem (fsxserver would close instantly and you can't even remove the process from the ctrl alt del menu).

For the Grib data i imported a flt pln and specified a cruise alt of 36000ft. But i never check on the ground if it's working and i read once you're in flight it's too late so i'll try to open the spy and look at my fsdecoder as you told me. This, as soon as i manage to get my OpusFSX working again.

I just uninstalled it all over again, using the control panel. Deleted the complete OpusFSX folder AND the OpusSoftware. Also removed any entry that was left in the registry.

Launched the Flight1 software which created a new OpusSoftware folder with a .lic file.

I then downloaded and installed the latest release 3.38.6, but still no luck... When i click fsxserver, i see the circle on my mouse saying it's loading, but the windows never comes up, it just hangs there.

Try running without FSX running. Are you running FSXSERVER from its icon or direct from your c:\OpusFSX folder. Unfortunately by fully reinstalling you should step through Getting Started again to make sure sharing and permissions are set. Try running without FSX, you could also try reinstalling SimConnect using our supplied msi file.

Stephen

I always launch OpusFSX before FSX is running, i just tried with and without fsx running and the problem is still here. I run FSXSERVER from my C:\OpusFSX folder. Also tried installing SimConnect using your supplied msi file, but it won't launch either...

I followed all the steps of the "Getting Started" guide once again, and no change... Is there a way to uninstall Simconnect ?

You could also try deleting your FSXSERVERCFG.DAT file.

Also try running the program from Windows Explorer or create a new desktop icon.

Stephen

Have you got an anti virus program running that is blocking everything ?

Certainly sounds like it.

Stephen

I have just uninstalled, downloaded 3.38.6 and reinstalled and all is OK.

If you can't even run the SimConnect.msi file then it sounds like something is simply blocking the software from running.

We have found a problem and are working on it now.

Done, i deleted FSXSERVERCFG.DAT, but now i get the "Flight Simulator Installation folder not specified" popup, and the FSXSERVER.exe now closes instantly instead of hanging. I managed to uninstall and reinstall SimConnect with the .msi you provided but the only change i see is that OpusFSX start, i get the popup and then instantly closes before i even see the main window...

My Antivirus is avast but i deactivated it so i can solve the problem without being bothered. (It worked well till yesterday even with Avast installed...).

So just a little improvement but i still can't run OpusFSX.

Run OpusFSX without FSX running. You must click OK and wait after the "Flight Simulator Installation folder not specified" message and after a few seconds it will time out and display the Server form. Now open the Config dialog and browse to your sim folder and enter the sim path.

You must also open all the dialogs and select Defaults.

I ran OpusFSX without FSX running, clicked ok and waited, but the Server form appears and closes instantly , so i can't open the Config dialog and browse to the sim folder, because the main server window doesn't show. It pops up only for maybe a tenth of a second and then closes, i can barely see it pop. There must be something blocking the FSXSERVER.exe but i don't know why, i didn't change anything from my previous install...

I don't suppose it is minimised to the taskbar? We are working on a solution at the moment and will post a beta as soon as possible.

Cheryl

Try deleting the FSXSERVER.DAT file and see if this works.

Another idea is that perhaps Windows has moved the server form off the screen. One other person who had this problem rebooted their PC and it was OK after that.

Thank you both Stephen and Cheryl, i just rebooted my computer and it works. I already rebooted after reinstalling OpusFSX but not after reinstalling SimConnect. So i think the problem probably came from simconnect. What's strange is that it only appeared after reinstalling OpusFSX, so during the uninstall and new install of Opus, some files of simconnect must have been removed or corrupted... But a reinstall of Simconnect AND a reboot after that seems to work. So if anybody else come across this issue, just uninstall and reinstall Simconnect, and don't forget to reboot.

Thanks again to both Stephen and Cheryl for your quick and precious help, and for your awesome piece of software.

Download the new beta 3.39.0 from the beta button on our downloads page.

Uninstall OpusFSX.

Install the new beta.

Delete FSXSERVER.DAT and FSXSERVERCFG.DAT

Run OpusFSX without FSX.

You will not get the error message popping up.

Configure OpusFSX to set the sim folder path and set all Defaults for the other dialogs.

We have deleted the error message popping up so it should help if this happens again but it is strange that this has happened to a few people recently.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheryl

Thanks a lot for you quick release of a new beta. I think the problem was not linked to the popup, because when i still had my FSXSERVER.DAT and FSXSERVERCFG.DAT files inside the opus folder, the popup didn't show (because it knew where fsx was), but i had the problem of the main server windows appearing for just a tenth of a second and then closing. This happened with AND WITHOUT the popup showing. What's even stranger is that OpusFSX wouldn't start but the FSXSERVER.exe process was still showing on the task manager and was impossible to stop. The only way was to reboot the computer, but even then : the main server windows would show and close instantly (without the sim location popup)...

Thanks for the feedback. It does sound like a corrupt SimConnect so that OpusFSX was just stuck trying to load a library.

We have now removed beta 3.39.0 since we hadn't really finished testing in-house properly but just wanted to get a new beta out for you to try. You won't need it since rebooting has solved the problem for now.

Cheryl

You're welcome, i don't know why my Simconnect became corrupted after uninstalling OpusFSX though...

Sorry to bother you a little more, but back to why i uninstalled opus is the fact that i can't manage to have GRIB data loaded... I'm running fsx and stay on the ground while the weather updates : i get the local weather just fine and it's accurate, but when i look at the reports for lower and upper atmosphere, i get the "No Data available at present" message. I opened the Spy window but it doesn't say anything special. All my options are set to default and the "Stabilized GRIB" is uncheked...I get winds aloft but they're not GRIB, so very innacurate... (like 100 degrees off the real winds).

Thanks Again,

Gaston