Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Wanna see the difference between Opus/ASN depictions? Try this...

Fire up Opus (the latest update today...released..) and then get FSX going.

Update Live Dynamic Weather.

Take off, anywhere you choose.

At 5000 or so feet, note around you the atmospheric depictions, cloud density, type, lushness or fragged, etc.

Then,  put FSX in pause.  Shut down OPUS, then fire up ASN.  Take FSX off of pause...and carry on with your flight.

For my scenario, with doing all of the above as sequenced, ASN hand's down at the time, took the rendering crown.  The clouds (with the same REX installs) looked anemic as depicted by OPUS when ASN took over the sky and flight path.  All I can say, is that without dissing either platform, for they are both good...and Opus all of a sudden doesn't become chop liver, because a new kid is on the block..no...but I must honestly report that ASN is giving a much greater, and varied...and most importantly....a true-to-life depiction of atmospherics. 

I shall now continue with ASN as my prime weather injector.  It is giving me what I always wanted to see...and congratulations to the developers. This is the best weather injector program, (for what my wants are...and personally subjective) I have ever seen.

If you do what I suggest, you will actually see, live...an A/B comparison and approach to how each weather injector program goes about its business..and what is great, is that it will be in real time, and along the same flight path. You DO NOT have to shut down FSX to go from Opus, ( you do have to actively shut OPUS down, mind you!) to then have ASN as in control. Just place FSX in pause by the 'P' key. You will truly see how each renders....and then make up your own minds...

Ses 

Take off, anywhere you choose.

In this case, how would you know what looks more true to life or not from a coverage perspective?

I'm using Opus for the dynamic head movement and cameras.  Would I have to shut these off?

I'm using Opus for the dynamic head movement and cameras.  Would I have to shut these off?

Kattz...I don't and ASN works just fine with them enabled. What I do turn off in Opus are the turbulence-related effects...instead, I've enabled turbulence in FSX and in Accufeel, which I have installed as well.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Kattz...I don't and ASN works just fine with them enabled. What I do turn off in Opus are the turbulence-related effects...instead, I've enabled turbulence in FSX and in Accufeel, which I have installed as well.

I can't figure out how the combined turbulence output works out by ASN+FSX+Accufeel yet. I read the developers mentioned ASN took it over completely with its custom interface. I don't really want  then to overload FSX with superfluous dlls (like Accufeel) running.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Ses,

what you are describing sounds nice.  I use OPUS and tried the trial version of ASN and I think it depends what you are expecting from  weather simulation software.

To me, flying around in FSX, is a kind of mental travelling. When I look at the cloudscape in the sim, for instance in San Fransisco, I want to see the same cloudscape as someone who lives in SF and who looks at the same moment to the real sky. I compared the cloud depiction of both programms with weathercams which you can find all over the internet. OPUS was always spot on, absolutely amazing. ASN hardly ever! When I get turbulence, I want to experience the amount of turbulence I would get as a rw-pilot at that moment at that place and not a kind of at random heavy shaking. I trust OPUS a bit more and tend to believe that OPUS ist more about depiction of the real atmosphere. ASN might be more about aesthetics and fun.

Regards, Hans

Just did a similar test this past hour at my home airport where we looking out the window we have about 3/10 Cumulous and the rest  blue skies and excellent visibility (60+miles).  Opus was pretty much right on.  ASN was depicting about 9/10 overcast with low layers of stratus and much lower visibility.  I have been testing on and off with the free trial of ASN and some days it is right on, but overall Opus gives the most accurate weather depiction.  In all fairness on one test I felt ASN was more accurate, but IMO Opus does get it right more often at my location.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

In this case, how would you know what looks more true to life or not from a coverage perspective?

Fly over your house then, and then pause, do as above, look out the window and.....

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Ses,

what you are describing sounds nice. I use OPUS and tried the trial version of ASN and I think it depends what you are expecting from weather simulation software.

To me, flying around in FSX, is a kind of mental travelling. When I look at the cloudscape in the sim, for instance in San Fransisco, I want to see the same cloudscape as someone who lives in SF and who looks at the same moment to the real sky. I compared the cloud depiction of both programms with weathercams which you can find all over the internet. OPUS was always spot on, absolutely amazing. ASN hardly ever! When I get turbulence, I want to experience the amount of turbulence I would get as a rw-pilot at that moment at that place and not a kind of at random heavy shaking. I trust OPUS a bit more and tend to believe that OPUS ist more about depiction of the real atmosphere. ASN might be more about aesthetics and fun.

Regards, Hans

Can you share some screenshots of this comparison? I hear a lot of people declaring love for one product or the other. Unfortunately, most of them (not you) have only one of the products and have no basis for making comparisons. If the folks who have both programs installed could run some side-by-sides of ASN and OPUS compared to sky cams, as you suggest, we might be able to put the debate to bed.

Game on!

Not the best way to get a feel for the weather engine, in my opinion.

I would plan a flight in the High FLs, about an hour or more enroute, choosing an area where I'm flying to a region receiving a cold front, you can easily check that on a SIGWX chart, then you would see which weather engine better models the transition of good weather, to not so good weather as you approach the front, to really bad weather when you get inside it. That for me if a good way to check for continuity of clouds, you will probably get some dramastic wind changes over the flight, so you can check to see if the wind shift bug is there, and most important, if your weather engine is keeping the wind accurate to the GRIB chart, which you can also check online, because I don't accept not having wind shifts but loosing accurate wind simulation as you climb and descent, and as you fly into different pressure gradients and all that.

I haven't tested ASN yet, but that's the flight I would make to see how good it is. I have done a video showing this process with Opus

Alexis Mefano

Just did a similar test this past hour at my home airport where we looking out the window we have about 3/10 Cumulous and the rest blue skies and excellent visibility (60+miles). Opus was pretty much right on. ASN was depicting about 9/10 overcast with low layers of stratus and much lower visibility.

Looks to me like you didn't turn off the "Set Bkn Clouds to 7/8" setting. The default s on. Which will set any forecast with broken clouds to 7/8's coverage, which you describe. Turning it off will give you a more realistic depiction. Not sure why this setting is defaulted on.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Fly over your house then, and then pause, do as above, look out the window and.....

You know Dave, you are so all over the ASN vs Opus issue that you cant see two feet in front of your own face. Yes, there are several areas where ASN has raised the bar over Opus. There are also several benefits to Opus which ASN does not provide. Proclaiming that 'the king is dead, long live the king' every two minutes and hitting 'dislike' buttons to anyone who does not follow your party line is quite irksome.

I have said it before and I will say it again......ASN is great. I loved the demo. As many others have also stated, depending on the user situation there is not a huge amount of benefit to moving from Opus to ASN, especially when Opus is being constantly tweaked and FSI is coming out early 2014.

If the areas that ASN has improved in are worth the $50 to you then great! Go for it.

So, go ahead and track down every comment i make, spin it your way and hit dislike, disagree as many times as you want. Its quite amusing really.

Have a great day.