Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

DirectX Royal Rumble... FSX DX9 vs DX10 vs P3Dv2 DX11!

lol, my bad, I just seen the patch released on their site a few days ago.. DOH! Removes foot from mouth whilst downloading it..

DirectX version going up - FPS is going down! That's the way to go *facepalm*

I believe that's called "self control" ... match as close as you can P3DV2 settings to FSX and you'll see DX11 is offering up at least 2-3X frame rate performance increase and reducing VAS usage considerably ... assuming you have a good GPU with LOTS of VRAM.  And unlike FSX where SLi/Crossfire doesn't work if you have a VC, it is slated to work in P3DV2.1 when released, so we'll once again get to see a huge improvement in frame rates by just adding a video card ... something that currently will make no difference in FSX.

It's not all roses on the P3DV2 front right now, there are a few issues ... but P3DV2 was just released and remember FSX had an SP1 and SP2 after it's original release.  Some existing 3rd party Add-ons will generate some heavy VAS usage and don't appear to be able to unload to GPU VRAM.  I'm hoping 3rd party vendors will bring their existing products over to P3DV2 an utilize the benefits of DX11, as of right now we're mostly seeing installer updates only and a lot of people doing manual migrations or using migration tools.

I've enjoyed FSX for many years, but even with all the 3rd party vendor issues in P3DV2 I still find myself using P3DV2 more ... the lighting/shadows just enhances the product so much that when I go back to FSX I feel "empty and disconnected from my environment" -- I still can't turn on limited Shadow support in FSX - too much VAS/fps hit, and other bizarre effects.  The only area FSX seems to do a better job with at the moment is Photo scenery and that's most likely because of AA and LOD radius differences.  

With P3DV2.1 and either ASN or FSGRW weather products designed for P3DV2 (to be released soon), this will probably allow me to finally put FSX to rest after it's many many many frustrating and yet pleasurable and rewarding years of operation on my PC.  Out with the old and in with the new.  But I also haven't ruled out XP10 ... their 64bit platform is very alluring and who knows, if I keep running into OOMs in P3DV2.x even after all existing 3rd party products have received "utilized" updates, then XP10.x will stay on my PC and might even become the dominant platform for me (LM have sent mixed messages about moving to a 64bit platform).

But no matter how I slice it, FSX days on my PC are numbered as I embrace what appears to me to be a VERY bright future for flight simulation.

Cheers, Rob.