Sign in to follow this  
BeechPapa

MK KSNA Remove Autogen Exclude

I couldn't see any way to get the ground polys decompiled, I'm not sure what they were compiled with? Using some GPs I've made myself to test, I can drag either .asm/BGLC_9 or GP wizard ground polys into MCX and see the models, it would be possible I think to export one of those to .3ds and get it into gmax, but I wasn't able to get MCX to display anything when I tried the KSNA GP .bgls. I'm not sure how you'd decompile them, but I suppose it would be possible to just make a new GP using the textures (which are very nice)? Maybe the dev could be convinced to run the GP models through the GP wizard where the 'do not suppress autogen' tweak could be applied?

EDIT: Actually I tried it again and I did get gndbase.bgl to open in MCX, maybe I didn't allow enough time on the first try, I'm on my old Athlon XP PC until I get a graphics card in my new one so it took forever, lol.

Jim

Made some progress on this last night. Can get the autogen to show up through the ground bgls but not with all the other files installed as well. So there is something else interfering. Hopefully I'll have some time later today or tomorrow to investigate further.

This is a nice piece of scenery.

I am watching this with interest as I lived in Irvine from '98 to late 2010 and flew constantly in and out of John Wayne.  I would also like for someone with such skills to add reasonable renditions of the two blimp hangars in Tustin.  Someone had done that for FS9 but I only been able to address them with photo scenery, which is flat when on final.  That works fine for the surrounding District shopping area, but the blimp hangars are such a key visual cue for approaches that it seems unnatural that they are missing.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I am following this discussion with interest, as I am one of those that agree that the mk ksna is a really good rendition of this airport, but the lack of autogen around it, is really a shame !

Hope one of you guys could resolve the autogen problem!

Shez great news from you indeed! ;)

I have looked into this as well. I have converted the files causing the autogen issues and now the autogen is not an issue. The groundbase is still a problem as it is causing flickering.

Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Just want to express my gratitude to everyone working on this autogen issue. The flight sim community is like no other, and it's this kind of dedication and good will that have kept FSX thriving. I haven't heard back from MK studios yet, but will let you guys know as soon as possible if I do. Merry Christmas!

OK I have completed the V2 version of this. I have had to take the original textures and combine and split them so unfortunately lost a little in the translation to DXT textures but overall significantly reduced the number of large ground textures so FSX only has a limited number of textures/drawcalls to make. FPS should improve,

Also had to run the BGL files again to give them a good layering stack and try and reduce the impact on the autogen.

Unfortunately there is one file which I still cannot figure out which might further reduce the autogen impact.

The results are pretty good and the autogen is now all the way to the boundary except in a few areas where the autogen is about 1/2 mile away but one cannot see the impact when observing from the ground.

Now the problem is that I still do not have any contact from the developer so I am not sure if I can release this. Can anyone try and contact him?

However, for anyone interested in Beta testing this please send me an email. shez.ansari at gmail dot com.

Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Just want to say I've been using Shez's fix and the autogen is back. John Wayne now fits in with other quality airports in the region. I really think people who have been drooling for a polished John Wayne will be quite pleased,with no compromises. It really livens up Southern California. I've been busy flying the area like never before. Enormous thanks to Shez and to each of you who worked on this. I believe work on the beta is still going on, but its available for testing.  

One issue which I am trying to resolve is that a crash occurs in most parts of the airport if you have crash detection turned on. This is again related to that one file I mentioned in the message above.

Shez

Shez Ansari

Anything new?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Anything new?

I think we have this resolved. I am away on business so will update when I get back next week.

Shez

Shez Ansari

Great News!  Thanks.  Will keep watching.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Great, hope to try it out soon! Boy, learned to fly out of KSNA many years ago when it was a much smaller airport... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Martin