Sign in to follow this  
Polar

X Plane new member

Ordered my copy of X-plane 10 Global and expect it today. I am excited to try this sim out and I have chosen the SAAB 340A as my first add-on acrft. Thanx here to the members who have posted photos and answered my questions, this above all else sold me over. I am a FS9er and will continue for the near future, but all the neat stuff about X-Plane made choose it over PD3. It will be a bit of a learning curve I am sure, but so was MSFS when I started back w/ 2000. I expect to be here off and on for newbe questions. Thanx again to all

Thank you for choosing the Saab as your first add on in X-Plane.  I have no doubt you will enjoy flying it.

Ordered my copy of X-plane 10 Global and expect it today. I am excited to try this sim out and I have chosen the SAAB 340A as my first add-on acrft. Thanx here to the members who have posted photos and answered my questions, this above all else sold me over. I am a FS9er and will continue for the near future, but all the neat stuff about X-Plane made choose it over PD3. It will be a bit of a learning curve I am sure, but so was MSFS when I started back w/ 2000. I expect to be here off and on for newbe questions. Thanx again to all

-------------------------------------

I read that the Saab is quite a system-detailed aircraft. You sure picked an immersive one to whet your teeth on...:) Welcome to the Xplane World. After a short learning curve, you will see what all the hub-bub is about....and see new in-cockpit effects that were not modeled in a Microsoft-based product.

Welcome Polar,It's a Great time to enjoy X-Plane,Fantastic/Quality first add-on with The LES Saab.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Welcome aboard!  I wish you a very long and enjoyable stay :-)

The Saab must really be good!  I have other aircraft by LES and find them excellent! Visit the pinned topic on freeware and payware sources to find out more goodies and where to get them from ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'm a recent FSX to X-Plane convert too, although I don't have the SAAB (yet!). I can say with my hand on my heart that it is soooo worth it. I go back occasionally to FSX, but don't enjoy my stay there less and less. X-Plane sure has it's own frustrations, but overall it justs feels better. I LOVE how easy it is to install new aircraft and scenery.

We need a sticky on this forum that's something like "X-Plane guide for FSX/P3D users".

I'm a recent FSX to X-Plane convert too, although I don't have the SAAB (yet!). I can say with my hand on my heart that it is soooo worth it. I go back occasionally to FSX, but don't enjoy my stay there less and less. X-Plane sure has it's own frustrations, but overall it justs feels better. I LOVE how easy it is to install new aircraft and scenery.

We need a sticky on this forum that's something like "X-Plane guide for FSX/P3D users".

Hi SouthPawPaul!

There are some good news regarding a future X-Plane guide for new X-Plane users to be found at #15 here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/429420-aa-and-fps/

Sounds quite promising i think!

Cheers, Christoph

Thank you all, now I am really excited to get into this....

Polar, I'd say not abandon any of the three Musketeers.  What I want to acheive, truly dictates for myself, which flight platform I click on for that flight.  Right now, I feel that there is not one flight simulator platform that 'corner's the market entirely...not one!

FSX/P3D for it's fabulous and mature A.I. and ATC simulation, depiction of seasons, etc

Xplane X.x for fabulous instrumentation-deploy, immersive effects, terrain-following runways, and on and on...

FS9 for killer rendition of Big Iron, systems performance, its own good use of A.I.-ATC, etc

You made a really great choice to add Xplane to your simulation interests, and will have a blast with it.  Perhaps it will take you to the 'dark side', lol...and you end up using it more than not!  The others that you have?  Make use also of their great strengths...and be the winner, all round.

My 12 cents... :)   Oh...after you check out a few freebie sleds here and there about....you will find great value and pleasure in the system models and cockpit effects that Xplane has in store for you.  I have two Carenado (the Bonanza and now the C90B) purchases in the hangar right now,  and the Saab is looking really good! :) 

Ya, I decided on X-plane because of the 64 bit as number one reason, and also because of all the fantastic night effects, etc. I am going to get the c90B as well. I have a great FS9 setup and many $ invested and time. I wanted to be able to grow into a sim that is always under development w/out losing so much each time MS decides to introduce new OPS.

X Plane indeed offers much much more then it did years ago and I expect it will continue to grow. I think I am like most simmers, hesitant to leave what they know best. But as I said, the X system offers much that MSFS cannot and will not, L Martin was looking good but it too has constraints which I don't see changing anytime soon, 64 bit being the obstacle which will drive many of MSFS users away in time. With enough converts X-Plane will be the next sim and we are seeing it now w/ the addition of big name developers who are household names in MSFS world jumping on the band wagon and by the way XP has it's own great 3P developers.

Although XP is not new, it is beginning a new chapter. When I have achieved the level in XP I currently have w/ FS9 there will be no looking back except for the wonderful memories it has given me. I hope the recent AVSIM question session w/ XP will get positive responses from the company. It's up to them to do what is needed to capture the market, I hope they do.

Dark side might come sooner rather then later LOL

Welcome to X-plane!  I got into it almost 2 years ago and still love it. 

Just be paitient learning the new key commands and take the time to adjust your rendering settings untill you get a nince balance between FPS and what looks good to your eyes. 

You will enjoy it. You picked a great plane to start with. I have the DC3 and its one of my favorite, if not, the favorite of mine. They make great stuff!

Rob

I would not be surprised if that DC3 ends up in my Canadian hanger some day, great Ice Pilot fan, of course Canada is only a few 100 feet from my door step. What were you using a few years ago?

Great!. But not all simmers see one verses the other. Quite a few of us may use both P3D and Xplane, so the point of one verses the other should not be as strong as some make.

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

I would not be surprised if that DC3 ends up in my Canadian hanger some day, great Ice Pilot fan, of course Canada is only a few 100 feet from my door step. What were you using a few years ago?

I was using FSX and then Prepar3d ver 1.3.  I got into X-plane 10 and found myself drifting away from P3d, but still kept it installed. I bought tons of addons for XP and pretty much put P3d and FSX on hold.

Recently, I bought P3d v2 to support that one as well, since I think its always good to have different opions. Both have their good and bad points. I now find myself enjoying both and jump back and forth between them depending on my mood ad what I want to fly.  

Its always good to have options and I dont like to be commited to any one plateform.

Rob

See this will be a first for me, two separate sims at least for now. I have FSX and my computer can run it well, I just can't bring myself to using it, oh I have tinkered on it now and then but only that, no serious flying. I just find things on it that I don't like, and the fixes get back into that dog chasing his tail, only it is my pocket book. Yes there are a few planes which would be nice to have in FS9 but the expense to put them on the FSX cannot be justified for me.

With X-Plane there are some new and exciting features for me, things that will never be seen in FSX, sure XP it lacks in some major areas, but I have confidence these short comings will change. These are things which can be changed and because of the 64 bit system, it will be able to do things that will never happen in FSX, and PD3 if they should dump the 32 bit, and they will probably in time, but time and money are down the road, probably way down the road. If they can achieve what their platform is designed to do and stay at 32 bit, there is no incentive to change, their not dependent on the FS home pilot and currently don't care about a small increase in sales because of them, they have stated as much. It is a teaching tool. I sometimes wonder if the advent of 64 bit OS was the reason for ending MSFS , sales did not justify a major renovation to keep it alive w/ tomorrows OS.

I have seen enough evidence in the pics that tell me XP already comes w/ much of what I have spent hundreds on to get MSFS where it is today. I have seen very, very few comments here or elsewhere slamming XP, it always comes back to a few things, things which will get fixed.