Sign in to follow this  
Mr767

Airport elevation change with ADE

Hello designers!

I am cleaning up in some scenery issues, and have started by correcting airports with incorrect elevation data.

Using Airport Design Editor X, I am able to flatten the area, but the polygon does not adjust to the elevation of the surrounding scenery.  

What is the right method ensuring that the flattened area made in ADE blends in with surrounding scenery?  

I assume this should be a matter of adjusting the value of your flattened area to the airport elevation, but this does not work...

Thank you.

You need to create sloping flattens to blend the airport flatten into the surrounding terrain. Basically, start another flatten at one corner of the airport flatten and extend it further from there. I normally use several additional flattens as I work my way around. You then enter the correct altitude for each point in the new flatten. Unfortunately, I'm at work and not at my computer to doublecheck this next part. You have to deselect (I believe) a box in the flatten dialogue that sets a single altitude (the default setting) for all points before you can set separate altitudes.

I normally create the flatten that I want to have sloping, then with FSX slaved to ADE, have the aircraft move to the point I want to set, read the altitude, and write it into that point's dialogue. Then move to the next and so on.

You need to create sloping flattens to blend the airport flatten into the surrounding terrain. Basically, start another flatten at one corner of the airport flatten and extend it further from there. I normally use several additional flattens as I work my way around. You then enter the correct altitude for each point in the new flatten. Unfortunately, I'm at work and not at my computer to doublecheck this next part. You have to deselect (I believe) a box in the flatten dialogue that sets a single altitude (the default setting) for all points before you can set separate altitudes.

I normally create the flatten that I want to have sloping, then with FSX slaved to ADE, have the aircraft move to the point I want to set, read the altitude, and write it into that point's dialogue. Then move to the next and so on.

Thank you very much for your fast response!

What you write makes total sense: Having little to no experience with ADE, I thought there was an automatic feature to auto-blend the new airport background to the surrounding area. I will certainly give your method it a go: Should be great fun.

Thanks again and have a great day!

There is no automatic blending in ADE. FSX will try to blend things.

The best way to create slopes in ADE is to use triangles. As already mentioned you can set ADE to allow individual altitudes on the vertices of a background polygon.

Sent from my Sony Xperia with Tapatalk 2