Sign in to follow this  
IAF747

The Key to Avoiding Crash to Desktops

This is so simple it is not funny.

If you want to do a 17-20 hr long flight on the 777-200LR and you are always having those crash to desktops, this is what you do.

Stay in the cockpit after setting up your flight at the gate and don't change views.

You will avoid those crash to desktops, and a flight attendant might even be surprised you are in the cockpit you'll get offered dinner like a real pilot does! A little cheeky but yes, those crash to desktops will be unheard of.

Two kinds of "crashes to desktop" can be cured that way:

- the - only temporary - freeze when flying over oceans ("no tower for tower view")

- a number of Out-Of-Memory's as the VAS usage dramatically increases when external views are activated

It doesn't help ...

- if you overdo with your textures sizes, LOD radius and 3D objects anyway (LOD radius of 6.5 or even higher, maxed-out autogen, 12 cloud layers in 4.096 bit texture resolution and the heaviest scenery addons with maxed out graphics settings)

- with the occasional freezes that are not related to the FSX tower view and that PMDG are investigating in.

Still good advice in case your VAS is running rather high and you think you can juuust make it without saving and reloading your flight.

Or you can just save the flight about 300nm from top of descent, close FSX, reload the simulator and load the flight. VAS reset. It's that easy.

Unless you use Fs passengers.  :mellow:

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Or VATSIM!   :P

I actually fly on VATSIM only. If I'm in the airspace of someone online, I just let them know ill be back. 

BetaTeamD.png

Or VATSIM!   :P

This is a big misconception I see around the forums about flying on VATSIM. You CAN join back mid-flight without a problem. If there is a traffic (and controlled airspace) just call in, ask if you can get back to your flight (report intended postion). If there is no ATC and lot of traffic.. try to time the join - I'd look at VATspy or software of this sort and join the position with enough separation from other aircraft. If there is no traffic around just join back in a keep on flyin'.

Or you can just save the flight about 300nm from top of descent, close FSX, reload the simulator and load the flight. VAS reset. It's that easy.

Unless you use Fs passengers.  :mellow:

Based on my experience, this is not the best solution - it's the only solution. I have read many posts with tweaks and various mediums of advice - all of which are helpful, but often not the solution. I am now in the habit of saving the flight at multiple points from pushback onward. It's annoying, but I enjoy cycling through views on longhaul 77L flights. The external modeling on this bird is outstanding. ASN is outstanding. REX is outstanding. FTX Global is outstanding. And I paid for all of this stuff - I'll be damned if I can't enjoy it all. The only time I save, exit, and reboot FSX is at ToD. It's rarely a problem on VATSIM, if ever. 

Based on my experience, this is not the best solution - it's the only solution. I have read many posts with tweaks and various mediums of advice - all of which are helpful, but often not the solution. I am now in the habit of saving the flight at multiple points from pushback onward. It's annoying, but I enjoy cycling through views on longhaul 77L flights. The external modeling on this bird is outstanding. ASN is outstanding. REX is outstanding. FTX Global is outstanding. And I paid for all of this stuff - I'll be damned if I can't enjoy it all. The only time I save, exit, and reboot FSX is at ToD. It's rarely a problem on VATSIM, if ever.

Thanks for the 777 being save- flight-friendly, I've never had one single out of memory error in any of my flights and I'm talking 12 to 16 hour max flights. It's all because I just save my flight before I land. If I don't, I'm almost likely run out of memory by the time I'm on final.

Believe me when I say that this method is the only method if you truly don't want to run out of memory in the 777.

Also,you don't have to save your flight every 30 minutes, just one save before top of the descent will be sufficient.

BetaTeamD.png

True, changing views too much does often result in CTD's. Thankfully CTD's don't bother me so much thanks to combination of FSUIPC autosave and FSCaptain flight restore function. I did complete two 18 hour 777LR flights without OOM or CTD though. 

Regards

Joona L

Also, as mentioned somewhere else I dont have CDTs when changing views.

But I dont do 16hr flights either.

What may help also is getting an addon that lets you create camera views. I use OPUS and with that I dont have to use the FSX views at all. I just push a yoke button or keyboard key combo to switch to my created views.

Rob Robson

What is the best way to save a flight and restart it so that the FMC, fuel etc. remains the same?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

What is the best way to save a flight and restart it so that the FMC, fuel etc. remains the same?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

With the PMDG B777, FSX default saving and loading applies. The PMDG code will take care of saving and reloading its own panel states and FMC data, so the PMDG planes don't require further user actions.

Never had a single CTD with T7.

I can switch views, switch fullscreen and windowed mode as often as I want.

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi