Sign in to follow this  
Mickel

GPSless light twin

Folks

Is there a light twin out there that doesn't have a GPS in it? The Islander is the closest I've got (or the Rapide, but I'm hoping for something a little later...). This is where a good period Aztec would come in.

Mike

The islander has a gps, it's just rather old fashioned... ;)

You could always just not use the gps where there is one... Nobody'll force you to switch it on!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Agreed.  Just don't use the GPS - set it to a page without navigation and leave it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

or just comment out // the appropriate gauge entries in the panel.cfg

I can't have explained myself too well... I do leave the GPS off in the Islander and can navigate without it, hence why it's considered close enough. However it's as slow as a wet week and I'd like something with another 50kts in her. In something like the Baron offerings I'm aware of, the nav radio is tuned via the built in GNS thingie. That also has the DME. So if the moving map is turned off then there are no nav radios either. What I'm after is something with a Nav 1, a Nav 2 and a radio to tune to the NDBs. Carenado have some singles with that configuration, but sadly no twins. I have a feeling I'm going to be out of luck in my search. :-(

Both the Milviz C310 and the B-55 have a blank panel where you can set up your own avionics stack, devoid of any GPS if you wish.  Might be worth looking into.

[edit: The potential downside of course is that the avionics you would include in there are going to be 2D, not 3D, since they aren't built into the model.]

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Check out the Eaglesoft Twin Comanche..... old but still great, and I think it has separate NAV radios, apart from the GPS.

http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/Piper_TC.htm

[EDIT:   Negative!....... NAV radios seem to be integrated into the GPS after all.... sorry!]

Your best bet might be to get FS Panel Studio and manually strip out the GPS on some of the twins around, and put in some basic collins radios a la default King Air.

Umm, have another look at the TC http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/PTCInterior_SS.htm

Note: The Apollo is in the lower left quadrant...

The Eaglesoft Apollo SL30 Manual outlines the operation of the Apollo SL30 VHF Transceiver with VOR, Localizer, and Glide Slope receivers.

The Apollo SL30 also incorporates workload reducing functions such as automatic decoding of the Morse code station identifier for VOR/LOC, a built in Course Deviation Indicator, and more.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Isn't the Apollo just for the Nav2, Ron ?

If not, then this guy is good to go, (and you can bung me that fiver, as we agreed :wink:).

Note that the TC has one VOR Head along with the Bendix King KI 825 which also can be used in VOR Mode.

From the included Bendix King KI 825 Manual..

The Bendix King KI 825 combines the display function of a standard Directional Gyro with VOR/LOC Course deviation indication, Glide Slope deviation indication, and Bearing indication.

From the included Apollo Manual..

9. Mode Selectors: Press COM to select the Com radio mode. Annunciator light displays above.

Press NAV to select the Nav radio mode. Annunciator light displays above.

Press SYS to reach the System mode. Annunciator light displays above.

Press OBS to see the current OBS setting and graphic CDI. When the annunciator above the OBS button displays, you may use the LARGE and SMALL knobs to set the OBS.

Pressing the OBS button a second time will "synch" the OBS setting to track the TO radial automatically.

10. Ident: Click the IDENT button to hear the Morse ID for the tuned VOR or Localizer.

11. Enter: Click ENT to select and confirm a prompt.

12. Upper/Lower Knob Mouse Selection Points: The dual concentric knobs on the right side of the Apollo SL30 are used to select frequencies, to view features available within a function, or make changes. Details are provided in the appropriate sections below.

13. Select: Click the SEL button while in NAV mode to display distance, ground speed and estimated [time to station] if the tuned VOR has DME available, or if tuned station is DME only.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Maybe the Just Flight Duchess?

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk

The DA Cheyenne might work for you and as previously mentioned the RealAir Dukes all have separate Nav/Com tuners, too. I often fly all of these without GPS.

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

On the V2 piston Duke you have the option of no GPS. Sounds like the perfect plane for what you wanted

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks all. I have the Rapide and it gets a work out from time to time. For some reason I hadn't even considered the Duke! I'd kept hearing about how the Cheyenne is old, but it actually looks pretty reasonable. And finally, I'd always associated ES with biz jets. So now I'll have some thinking to do... Still think a early version of the Aztec would be a good idea...

Thanks again

Mike