Sign in to follow this  
zaflyer

Loading Problems

Hi All...

Bit of an odd problem with FS9...When I start it, the programme kicks in no problems. I select a flight and it seems to 'stick or 'hang'' on the 'Loading Scenery Bar....' This only seems to happen on some 'add on' airports...The default Airports seem OK...

I then use the ctrl+Alt+ Del to get out of the programme and the box with the status highlights 'e5d141.tmp'...Not sure what this means, but it seems to crop up when I get the  "This Programme is not responding" message"

It gets stranger though...a couple of times, I've had the "programme is not responding"  and then suddenly... FS9 loads...

I'm running: FSX Deluxe SP1 & SP2 - FS9: Windows XP Professional - 2.99 GB RAM - Pentium E6500 - 2.93 GHz - - Intel ® G41 Express Chipset. 0 - FOXCONN GeFORCE SERIES- NVIDIA GE Force 8600 GTS

I'm at a loss with this issue, up until this point FS9 (which Installed after FSX and I'm preferring) worked perfectly..Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

ZA

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

First the file named "e5d141.tmp" is a temporary file. Read about them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_file

What you wrote here: "This only seems to happen on some 'add on' airports...The default Airports seem OK.." tells me that you may either have a scenery.cfg file problem, a bgl.object library problem or possibly a addon airport texture problem. Perhaps even a combination of those mentioned. One other thing to look at is whether you might have duplicated AFCAD or airport files involving you addon airports. Check your system event viewer for any hints or get 'Procmon' Process Monitor from Systinternals.com. That tool will allow you to view what FS9 is trying to do when it hangs or freezes. I hope this helps you some.

Regards,

Mel

Hi Mel...

Thanks for taking the time to respond and explain the possible problems. I'll do as you've suggested. Sort of started to check and investigate further. It is possible that I've got duplicates somewhere....It will be interesting to use the programme you've suggested too

I've discovered that if left long enough, even though I'm told the programme is not responding..it eventually loads! (after a V V long time) I'll let you know the outcome

Best Wishes & Seasons Greetings 

ZA 

Hi Again Mel..

Well did a bit of 'digging' and found the offending file...C:\Docs & Settings\My name/local settings\Temp..there it was./is ..read up on it too..

e5d141.tmp Seems to pop up quite a lot. Had mixed reviews about what to do with it..some say OK to get rid of it...others say it's important for FS9..it's specifically mentioned in the world of simming, so it's not just me. 

Came across various programmes for cleaning temp files, used one of them, but it didn't pick up this one...

So I know 'bout it, know the problems it causes, also know that my PC is "sick" as pointed out to me by a couple of programmes that did 'scans' and then wanted me to buy them to solve the problems identified. 

Now what I wonder..?

Best wishes ZA

Hi ZA

Be very wary of those programs that do a free scan then require you to pay money to buy the program needed to "fix" your PC. Some of them are serious scams that infect your computer with malware that only they can "fix." (And I'm quite sure if they have your credit card information they will be happy to "fix" your personal finances as well).... If it keeps popping up to tell you need to buy their product, it probably means your PC has been infected.

I don't have the expertise to help you with your specific problem but will be watching the topic with interest to see what the answer is. But those offers to scan and fix your PC - be very careful

Cheers

Ian

So I know 'bout it, know the problems it causes, also know that my PC is "sick" as pointed out to me by a couple of programmes that did 'scans' and then wanted me to buy them to solve the problems identified.

I could not agree with Ian any more than 100%!!!! Whatever problems they promise to fix are very likely their own doing. It is a form of extortion/ransom ware. Whatever you issues are, some careful research, and some careful searching and you can find free software or utilities to fix things yourself. The problem is these outfits that offer to scan your PC will sometimes 'hack' your registry and cause you more persistent and damaging problems just to make you desperate and fool you into being grateful when you pay the ransom and they simply undo the damage they have caused. Of course 'they' are still in your PC and can cause more trouble anytime they desire, like around time to renew your subscription just to remind you that you need them.

Here are a couple of utilities that I use for cleaning, if you use them be careful to read up on them first.

http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.php

Another very good utility fro removing malware and spyware is Spybot Search and Destroy.  [ I think this works on Windows 7 ]

http://spybot-search-destroy.en.softonic.com/

Of course these are only recommendations not endorsements although I have used both for years with no bad experiences. Hopefully other forum members can or will assist with their own thoughts and recommendations.

Happy Holidays,

Mel

+10 for Spybot Search and Destroy.  It's safe, free, well supported and it will find things the others miss. 

I agree with Ian and Mel 100%.  If something pops up on your screen or on a website that offers a "free" scan of your system, you can almost guarantee it's a scam.  Giving permission for anything to scan your system is an invitation for the program to install anything on your system.  And it will happen.  Beware!!
I use CCleaner for registry work.  Works great.  As with all software though, you should read the manuals and thoroughly understand what the program is doing and how it's doing it before letting it go off on its' own. 
The best advice though, is this...BACKUP, BACKUP and BACKUP!!!  This is the best protection you can have and it's a time honored practice which has withstood the test of time.

Cheers.  :smile:

Hello Guys..

Thanks for your time and sound very advice...nearly fell for the 'sales pitch' but didn't luckily. I'll try the links you've suggested.

I've got to be honest. I realised that there are some risks with these things, but hadn't realised just how much risk.   :Doh: I've read mixed reports, some had problems others didn't..But I've got enough here to be going on. Good advice indeed. 

Your support shows me why the flight simming community is so strong and supportive!  :smile:

As for the offending temp file, for some reason, it doesn;t like LSZH (Zurich) Which leads me to believe there's something amiss there....

Thanks again for your help ...and of course seasons greeting to you  :smile2:

Ralph