Sign in to follow this  
Leen3131cs

When colors misbehave

Yes , I managed to learn something last years

I am painting aircraft-models for flightsim for many years now.

To be frank ,I did not expect to find much I did not already know.

Until some wheeks ago , when I started to make a repaint (Thai Royal Air Force) for the ATR 72-500 ( Aerosoft/McPhatstudios )

Not really a big deal , a white airplane with an emblem and a blue and gold cheatline.

The "white" happened to be the problem.

I tried,tried once again I really was going mad.

Even a complete pure white texture turned out to produce a greyish kinda thing.

I realised that had to come from the OBJ files.
An OBJ file can be opened with a text-editor so I did.

Ok I knew, a command line reading  ATTR_shiny_rat 1.00 gives us a plane with a bit of gloss, ATTR_shiny_rat 10.00 gives us even more.
We can fill in the value we like.

There are many different ATTR commands.

Among them is a special one  , ATTR_diffuse_RGB 0.00 (or other values)

This is the command which drove me mad.

In the OBJ  file for the front section of the fuselage I found this line , ATTR_diffuse_rgb 0.820  0.820  0.820

That was the explanation of the problem

ATTR_diffuse_rgb  1.00  1.00  1.00        means 100% of the color/bightness ( pure white is 255.255.255)

ATTR_diffuse_rgb  0.820  0.820  0.820  means less than 100%

0.820  is 18% less than 1.00  

As 255.255.255  is white  at 100% brightness  and 18% of 255 is 46 , the command ATTR_diffuse_rgb  0.820  0.820  0.820 reduces the brightness of the texture (all colors) with approx  46%

Thats all , I opened all OBJ files related to the fuselageparts and changed all  ATTR_diffuse_rgb  0.820  0.820  0.820 values into ATTR_diffuse_rgb  1.00  1.00  1.00  

I could also simply have inactivated all ATTR_diffuse_rgb commands by placing a   #   in front of them  ,  # ATTR_diffuse_rgb  0.820  0.820  0.820

An ATTR_diffuse_rgb 1.00 1.00  1.00 does not change a thing so we can forget about it.

Now I was able to have my bird in sparkling colors.
Ohh and yesssss, the default liveries , brand new and good looking too.
No need to say back-up all files first , however, its very unlikely you`ll ever want them back.

See the result , the front of the fuse displays the colors exactly the way they are on the texture, the rest of the fuse the suffers the ATTR_diffuse command.

( 3d modelers should not fiddle with color-values and leave that to the texture-artists )

Second screen shows the files involved, they are in the main objects folder.

Its only some minutes of work.  (the # will do nicely , just search for ATTR_diffuse_rbg 0.820)

Look at this all I wrote above as a  general explanation of what this command is about, I you are content with the ATR the way it is , do not do a thing.
My bird however will aways be a grey one for you then.

Enjoy, 

Leen de Jager

colordif.jpg

atrlist.jpg

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Great hint!  Thank you for sharing Leen!

I'm pinning this post. Could you please change the Topic Title to something more suggestive of what it really encloses?

Thanks a lot !!! 

Painting aircraft is another activity I really need to get into...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

OK , I changed the tile in "When colors misbehave"

I could not think of a better one.

In this case (the McPhat-ATR)  the model is nice, the colors of the textures are nice , they only look a bit stupid on the plane.

Its like they misbehave , they do not show the way we like and expect them to show..
There the ATTR_duffuse  "thing" comes in.

Its important developers make sure colors on texturesheets are shown on the model exactly the same.

This McPhat/Aerosoft  ATR is a tipical example of how things can get out of color-control.

No need to say the textures/liveries of the McPhat ATR are fantastict as they are and I do not say everybody has to change the ATTR_diffuse values.

Nevertheless ,editing those ATTR-diffuse commands is very rewarding for guys who want superb colors and brilliance.

Many other models from various developers suffer ( more or less) the same phenomea. 

MIND:   ATR and ATTR have nothing to do with eachother, both having the characters ATR is pure coincidence.

Thanks for "pinning"

Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.