Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

"Newbie" Forum - Comments?

Having been an experienced FS9-er for some time, all of a sudden, I became a FSX newbie.

Some day in the future I'll be an X-Plane newbie.

Having been an experienced Boeing 744 man for some time, all of a sudden, I became a Boeing 777 newbie.

Some day in the future I'll be a DC-6 newbie.

Having been an experienced Boeing man for some time, all of a sudden, I became an Airbus newbie.

Some day in the future I'll be a Concorde newbie.

Or a W8 newbie ... or an ATI newbie ... or an overclocking newbie ...

Not saying it won't work, but ...   :ph34r:

Well sure, but being new to an !addon is not quite the same thing as being new to this community entirely.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Yes, I support this idea. I've seen too many "power-users" being rude to newbies and that's not what we need. We all were those newbies once and even the most primitive thing for us could feel like something extremely complex for them.

But please, don't force newcommers to use that section. Just because somebody is new to avsim doesn't mean he/she has to be new to flight simulation. We should be open to anybody, not some kind of closed community. Even my first post on this forum was just a bunch of screenshots I wanted to share with everybody :smile:

But please, don't force newcommers to use that section. Just because somebody is new to avsim doesn't mean he/she has to be new to flight simulation. We should be open to anybody, not some kind of closed community. Even my first post on this forum was just a bunch of screenshots I wanted to share with everybody :smile:

Unfortunately, that really is the only way it would work, as Bill talks about above.

For more experienced users, that are just new to AVSIM, they could simply post in the new forum to introduce themselves. Many forums have a similar sort of thing in place. For example:

"Hi my name is Brian, my first simulator was FS98, and I still have no idea what I am doing and couldn't find the coffee maker without an FMS."

Regards,

Brian Doney

We aren't suggesting that newly subscribed members here be discriminated against, only that their first few posts be in a single forum where they can more quickly become acclimated to the vast wealth of forums available.

The simple fact is that there are a LOT of forums and sub-forums here at AVSIM. For any newcomer to find the "right forum" is a real challenge. In fact, I've wondered often if there have been people who registered, took a look at the L O N G list of forums, then wandered off, never to be seen again, thinking to themselves "Man, that is too confusing!" :Confused:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

n4gix, on 20 Dec 2013 - 4:24 PM, said:

We aren't suggesting that newly subscribed members here be discriminated against, only that their first few posts be in a single forum where they can more quickly become acclimated to the vast wealth of forums available.

The simple fact is that there are a LOT of forums and sub-forums here at AVSIM. For any newcomer to find the "right forum" is a real challenge. In fact, I've wondered often if there have been people who registered, took a look at the L O N G list of forums, then wandered off, never to be seen again, thinking to themselves "Man, that is too confusing!" :Confused:

I still disagree and believe that having to make a number of forced posts in a subforum that doesn't interest them is more efficient at scaring away new members than the seemingly infinite list of forums available to them. If anything I think that list gives the impression of a well organized site where you don't have to wade through tons of irrelevant threads to find what you're interested in. But if you really think it's such a problem maybe you should focus on streamlining a bit rather than adding more.

Additionally I think you're a wee bit patronizing towards the user base here. It's not a "real challenge" for anyone intelligent enough to get through the registration process to find the subforums he's interested in.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Providing a convenient New to Flight Simulation subsection is a good idea.  Providing a quarantine area for New Subscribers on the other hand, is a bad one.  You've got people who are massively experienced with very detailed questions or observations about a very specific product, right from the first post, and just because they are recently subscribed to Avsim, doesn't mean that their content should get mixed in with beginner questions.

Cool! That would be wonderful then!

Agreed. With that issue addressed.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Providing a New to Flight Simulation subsection is a good idea.  Providing a quarantine area for New Subscribers on the other hand, is a bad one.  You've got people who are massively experienced with very detailed questions or observations about a very specific product, right from the first post. 

Maybe give new users the same screen FSX did after installing, except after registering here

"I'm an experienced pilot just let me in"

"I have no idea what I'm doing"

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I still disagree and believe that having to make a number of forced posts in a subforum that doesn't interest them is more efficient at scaring away new members than the seemingly infinite list of forums available to them. If anything I think that list gives the impression of a well organized site where you don't have to wade through tons of irrelevant threads to find what you're interested in. But if you really think it's such a problem maybe you should focus on streamlining a bit rather than adding more.

Additionally I think you're a wee bit patronizing towards the user base here. It's not a "real challenge" for anyone intelligent enough to get through the registration process to find the subforums he's interested in.

Well then it shouldn't be difficult for them to understand why this system would exist.

I'd also think that anyone not patient enough to deal with a few introductory posts might not be the best fit for this community anyway.

The "my way, now" crowd is already enough of an issue.

Apparently they are intelligent enough to sort through 100 sub-forums to find what they need, but not capable of understanding a simple restriction for the first few posts. Who's actually being patronizing here ?

Regards,

Brian Doney

#1- "T7 COG off by 2% from Topcat, can't figure out why"

#2- "Bumping this topic"

#3- "I would have asked this in the PMDG forum but am restricted until I have 5 posts"

#4- "Great to be a member of Avsim"

#5- "Finally with this post I can get to where I want to go"

I really doubt the commercial forums would be included as they are managed by the developers themselves.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Great idea, but perhaps the moderator of the new forum could have the ability to remove the automatic-post-accumulation-prior-to-posting-anywhere idea, that way if a new member was to introduce themselves as a flight simulation veteran and request posting access to the rest of the site, it could be granted without the post accumulation requirement.

As previously mentioned, the primary concern is that not all new members are actually 'new', just new to Avsim.

Otherwise, brilliant idea.

The other thing to take into consideration is that the moderator(s) would likely have a busy job on their hands - I've noticed in my time at Avsim that many of the 'experts' often disagree more with each other than anything else. I would guess that there would be less chance of rudeness directed towards a new member in any given thread than rudeness between 'experts' being on display. :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.