Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Which is easier to learn?

I have two regional aircraft, the PMDG JS4100, and the Majestic Q400. Which would be the easiest to get in the air, and land in?

I would say the Majestic Q400, as it has FADEC and simple engine management.

The JS41's engines are a real pain being direct drive turbines that require a lot of care and attention to run.

I have two regional aircraft, the PMDG JS4100, and the Majestic Q400. Which would be the easiest to get in the air, and land in?

So you own both of these and haven't tried either of them to see how they fly? Or are you saying thay you have them, as in having them as a choice to buy?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Personally I've thoroughly enjoyed both aircraft and think that after a couple of flights with the manuals, both aircraft are 'easy' to fly and procedures simple enough to follow.

In terms of ease of operation, I would agree that the Dash 8 is the easiest of the two. However, I think the actual art of landing the Dash 8 is quite a skill to master -despite having got to the point where I can operate the aircraft by memory, I still have trouble making satisfying landings.

With this in mind, I find the JS4100 much easier to land and once the systems and the more 'hands on' procedures have been mastered (Which I really don't think takes that much longer - just a couple of flights with the manual, plus there are various helpful tutorials and checklists on this site) I personally find the aircraft very satisfying to operate.

One thing to also bare in mind, if you purchase FS2CREW for the JS4100 most of the work is done by the co-pilot- making it a VERY easy aircraft to fly ;)

I love the look of the JS4100 panel, but that's a personal preference, but the panel is frame rate heavy in comparison to the DASH 8, and the sound on the DASH 8 engines are hands down the best available for any aircraft in fsx.

Bottom line is both aircraft have their merits and with a bit of time both will be rewarding aircraft to

I have never been interested in flying turboprops, despite several attempts to fly them, since I began flying with FS98. It is solely thanks to both of these aircraft and the efforts of both development teams that I have a developed a love and appreciation for turboprops!

Cannot wait to purchase Razbam's Metroliner! About to be released any second now! Gutted that it's been released now, when I have no money due to being a student teacher around Xmas.