Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Which of these 2 airliners is easier to learn?

Captain Sim 777

or

Airbus Extended X?

Note I'm not asking which is better.   :)

Also, might be same answer but which of these above 2 planes is quickest to get into the air and hit 'set and forget it' button?

The Airbus X Extended is easier, but you still have to program the MCDU. You just have to learn the Autopilot knobs and their push-pull functions. Once you get the hang of it, you can get it flying in no time. 

The Captain Sim is harder because of all the bugs that you have to deal with. 

Oh, and the Airbus Extended is better.  :P

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Captain Sim 777

or

Airbus Extended X?

Also, might be same answer but which of these above 2 planes is quickest to get into the air and hit 'set and forget it' button?

I don't have captain 777, but I have pmdg 777 and aex. I find the pmdg 777 to be fairly simple to get up in the air and put on autopilot etc since the plane is very automated. Now I do not know how well the captain sim 777 is modeled when it comes to autopilot. Also, I have extensive experience with the 737ngx so Boeing is much easier for me to learn. With the AXE I am able to get it up in the air ok, but its taking a bit to learn the autoland features etc. I wouldn't say its hard but its different from the boeing fmc and the AXE is annoying me at the moment as I have not figured out the proper way to get an adequate decent. 

Airbus X Extended was very easy for me because of the tutorial flight. I don't think Captain Sim offers tutorial flights and that may definitely hurt your learning ability.

Airbus X Extended was very easy for me because of the tutorial flight. I don't think Captain Sim offers tutorial flights and that may definitely hurt your learning ability.

I didn't even realize there was a tutorial flight. I was just trying to learn it cold and made a lot of progress fairly quickly. The tutorial looks like it may fill in a lot of blanks. 

Also... as a side note.. if you are used to Boeings (like I am!) you WILL have trouble at first. It's very easy to overcome if you go into it with an open mind and not the "Scarebus" or "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going" attitude.

For the Airbus, there's a series of tutorial videos here:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/67438-step-by-step-flight-videos-now-available-version-110/

Scroll down for for parts 6 and 7 with non-precision approach, go-around and diversion to alternate.

The Airbus also has a copilot who will do most of the work if you want, or can help run through the checklists.  B)

I don't know about the 777 but I'd say Aerosoft has done about all you could ask to help get going with the Airbus. The one tricky bit can the the throttle lever setup. Main thing is to make sure your throttle assignment matches what you configured in the Airbus setup, and if you use FSUIPC, don't use FSUIPC calibration for the throttle. I made a special FSUIPC profile just for the Airbus.

Barry Friedman

The Airbus has

- a pre-defined panel state for takeoff

- and the option to have your copilot take care of a lot of stuff during your flight (plus the integrated, closed-loop checklists, so you can't miss vital items)

While the B777 isn't difficult to set up (neither the PMDG version nor the CS version), you'll achieve successful, easy-going flights with the Airbus much sooner.

Captain Sim 777

or

Airbus Extended X?

This sounds like a massive troll. You call out Captain Sim, knowing their history, knowing the reaction you will get, and knowing their products are worse than freeware?

I didn't even realize there was a tutorial flight. I was just trying to learn it cold and made a lot of progress fairly quickly. The tutorial looks like it may fill in a lot of blanks. 

Same here till I read the responses in this thread.  I looked and looked, finally figured out that the StepbyStep pdf file contains the tutorial about 22 pages into the file. :wacko:   Its very long winded and goes into all sorts of other side info.

Same here till I read the responses in this thread.  I looked and looked, finally figured out that the StepbyStep pdf file contains the tutorial about 22 pages into the file. :wacko:   Its very long winded and goes into all sorts of other side info.

I was able to complete my first flight once I found the tutorial. The autoland with a copilot is about as simple of a plane to fly as can be. Still trying to get a feel for hand flying the landing.