Sign in to follow this  
User7902

Middle mouse macro!

Hey all,

Firstly can I congratulate OPUS on a outstanding piece of software. I've used the weather engine for some time now but recently I decided to give the camera a try.

Having learned how to use the camera effectively I can't go back to any other camera software, it's an essential part of my sim experience.

I know there are many posts about the benefits of mapping the live camera to a controller but it's not something I want to do. I like being able to hold down the middle mouse button, move the camera, let go and click on the desired switch.

I know EZDOK do it very effectively, so I was wondering why OPUS haven't implemented this feature!

I know you can use FSUIPC to do this but I find that method a bit buggy.

So I think a macro to 'shift+o' is a good option, however I can't do it through Microsoft keyboard and mouse centre because I don't have a Microsoft mouse.

Can anyone recommend me a better method?

Or a decent macro program?

Rob

Hi Rob

Thanks for your comments.

You should be able to use the standard FSX Mouse Look feature. At present you can use either Live Camera Control (using a game controller, or the arrow keys on the LCC dialog, or assigned shortcut keys (you cannot use the keyboard arrow keys since they are not available to us)), the standard hat switch, FSX Mouse Look or TrackIR. 

FSX uses the hat switch as standard for panning views around, this panning is fully compatible with our camera control and effects. If you have disabled your controllers in FSX and are using FSUIPC then you can enable mouse wheel button panning and that also re-enables the hat switch on the joystick.

FSX Mouse Look conflicts with TrackIR so you need to disable TrackIR (F9) prior to using Mouse Look.

To use Mouse Look try the following methods;
• press the space bar whilst holding down the left mouse button
• hold down the middle wheel button whilst moving the mouse around 
• press shift-O then move whilst holding down the left mouse button, press shift-O again to exit mouse look
• program the wheel button to shift-O in your mouse driver.

Some mice perform these operations better than others, my Microsoft mouse works well but some others don't.

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl! 

The hat function works perfectly - 

I'm more than happy to use FSX mouse look but unfortunately the middle mouse button does not activate it! I've set up the space bar to toggle it on/off but i would much prefer to use the middle mouse button. 

Is there a setting in the controls panel i've accidentally deleted? 

I don't think there are any settings in control panel. Some mice have configurable drivers so you can configure the middle mouse button that way. If you are using FSUIPC you can enable mouse wheel button panning if you have disabled your controllers in FSX.

I seem to remember our Microsoft mouse worked out of the box with no other configuration but a Sony mouse wouldn't.

Somebody mentioned if you press 'k' then FSX switches to 'mouse view' but it didn't work on my system, apparently this way you don't have to hold the space bar.

Cheryl

Ok scrap that - i've just realised using FSX camera has the same 'bug' that i thought FSUIPC middle mouse control had - if you move the camera, say over your left shoulder, then press a shortcut key to snap to a predefined view in OPUS, when you press the look key again the camera snaps back to the last place it was, in this case back over that shoulder. So its not a problem with FSUIPC, its with the default look system... 

Unfortunately I find this pretty irritating but I guess that's because i'm switching between cameras systems: Opus and FSX default cameras. If I was to use the live camera, i wouldn't have this problem...

Such a shame live camera manipulation cant be triggered with the middle mouse button! for now i'll have to put up with it, or remember to center my camera again before switching views!