Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

What was FSDreamTeam thinking when they modeled this?

I use ADE to make modifications and my AFCAD naming convention is different from FSDT's, so when the installer installs new AFCAD's, it doesn't overwrite.

The installer never overwrites your existing AFCAD that you made. If you look in the scenery folder you will see that it backs up the AFCAD you were using with a date and time that it was backed up.

For example at KLAS I have some backups called AP_KLAS.bgl.15-4-13 12-05-32.bak. This indicates the time and date your last used ADE file was backed up before the new one was installed by the updater. All you need to do is either delete or remove the new AP_KLAS.bgl and then delete the 15-4-13 12-05-32.bak extension that was written to your original ADE file and your back to where you were before the update.

Also

I use ADE to make modifications and my AFCAD naming convention is different from FSDT's, 

If you're using GSX its not a good idea to use AFCAD's that are named differently than what the stock FSDT AFCAD is name in the scenery because GSX looks for the same named AFCAD that is installed by FSDT and may not function correctly if a differently named AFCAD is used. So if you're using FSDT's KLAS for example and the stock FSDT ADE is named AP_KLAS.bgl and your ADE is named ADE_KLAS_JEFF.bgl and GSX can't locate the ADE named AP_KLAS.bgl then you may face problems with GSX working correctly.

I found this out by accident when I was on the GSX beta team and was doing a lot of testing of GSX at KDFW. I was using a modified ADE that I made based off the original. I had renamed some parking spaces and deleted a few and was using an ADE called ADEX_KDFW_SJC.bgl. I kept having errors and issues with GSX functions. Upon doing some trouble shooting with Umberto he asked about the name of the AFCAD showing up the GSX config menu and when I told him the name of it, he explained the trouble was caused because the name was different than the original name of the AFCAD supplied by the scenery.

Once I renamed the ADE file to match the default FSDT installed ADE name, GSX started to work correctly as it should.

So in short, if your using GSX at an FSDT airport and you mod the AFCAD, make sure to name the new ADE file the same as the original one that is supplied. Don't worry about it being overwritten during an update as it will be backed up as explained in the first part of my post.

Umberto was smart to include a AFCAD backup for updates as he knew people would be miffed if they made a custom file and it got overwritten during an update, hence the reason he included a backup feature written into the update installer.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What bugs me is the fact that after I fix the afcad and later on run any fsdt installer, it proceeds to OVERWRITE every change to every FSDT airpot that I have ever made.

It's a simple fix. Rename your version of the afcad to include your initials or something so that it doesn't get overwritten. You just have to remember to go through the sceneries after any addon manager update to remove the newly placed but old original afcads. Works like a charm

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

they must have read this and felt guilty. They just announced a 30% sale lol

ZORAN

Hi guys , yes this is an old thread but I just want to ask does anyone else have problems with AI parking positions at KORD ? In the default they all park where they should but in the FSDT (demo) the airport is shifted a bit so a lot on noses are in the terminals and others out of position

I dont have duplicate Afcads and surely if the default works then so should the FSDT version.

I dont want to spend hours searching if its a known issue

ZORAN