Sign in to follow this  
astroavion

How Long Have You Been Using MSFS?

I have been curious for a long time how long other people have been using Microsoft Flight Sim. I started using it about 1983 on Flight Sim 1.01. It only had 4 cities in the world, Chicago, Boston, LA and Seattle. I must have logged several hundred hours on that thing. I went through all the versions before settling on FS9. I think my total hours must be over 50,000. I also have logged about 60 hours real world in a C152, and I have an Aircraft Dispatcher license. I use Orbiter Flight Sim too, and Railworks Train Sim, but MSFS is the best. I wish they were still in business.

How long has everyone else been using MSFS? Anyone got me beat or at least been using it as long as me?

Thanks for your responses.

Andrew

Right from the start, I think just before MS bought the rights. One airplane, the four geo areas you mentioned, lots of flat green for the ground except for 2 or 3 triangles that were supposed to be mountains in the KSEA area and the really odd checker board pattern 'snow'. And the airports were basic to say the least. The whole thing was awful and I loved it!

Mel

Since FS5 whenever that was  :unsure: .

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

FS4.0 although I messed around with early Sublogic versions in school on 286 processor.

There was a show here in the US called Mr Wizard and he was demonstrating FS on his show. When I saw that for the first time, I had to get into it! This was in in the 80's.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

While I flew it on the Apple ][, my MSFS receipt is dated April 1985 ($49.95) and the version, which was not in the manual except for the simulated display of the opening screen, was Version 2.1.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1984 I think, Flight Simulator II. Wow nearly 30 years now. Has been a lot of fun. I still remember the excitement when my local airport NZWN was first depicted, which was in version 5.1 if memory serves.

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN

I bought a used computer in the mid 1980's that had Flight Sim 1.01 on it. No color, just a green screen and white lines, but I loved it. I've been a fan since then. I think I still have that computer stored away somewhere - maybe I'll find it up and give 1.01 a try again.

FS II on the Commodore 64. I remember it had one of the best instruction books ever.

Cheers, SLuggy

FS 4.0 in 1990 at my Grandpa and Grandma's house. He was a pilot in the Idaho Air National Guard and he let me take the Cessna up at O'Hare.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Almost 27 years.  Since January 1987 on a Tandy 1000 computer with two 5 1/4 inch floppy drives.

My first flight sim was Night Flight on the Spectrum ZX80 back in 1978.. loaded by Tape Cassette and had a black screen with some dots for the runway and a couple of VORs..  FS9 is my favourite of all time !...