Sign in to follow this  
astroavion

How Long Have You Been Using MSFS?

Ha, thanks for the great replies. Remember the WWI arena for dogfighting that was enclosed on four sides by 2D mountains? I don't think I ever shot a single plane down. I think it even had some kind of tool that allowed you to design your own aircraft. I don't remember if it had a scenery creator on it. (referring to FS 1.01). That video above is funny. I loved the old versions then, but I sure am glad it evolved. I can't wait to see what the next 20-30 yrs will bring. Maybe MS will re-open the sim division or someone else will make one better than MS. It will be hard to change over to another brand. To me, it would be almost like losing a best friend.

I started with the first SubLogic flight sim 32 years ago on a flashy Tandy TRS-80.  Those were the days, huh?  I think that computer had, what, 16 MB of RAM?  :lol:

I think you mean 16KB Jeff H. :excl:

I know I had an IFR sim that my dad bought me on a Vic-20, but I had no idea what to do with it and neither did he.

Not long after and the first one I can remember for sure is SubLogic FS 2 on the C64. I definitely remember trying to shot down the double lines that were enemy planes in that arena.

I also remember when the crop dusting mode was introduced in a later version. I got a kick out of that.

I think you mean 16KB Jeff H. :excl:

I know I had an IFR sim that my dad bought me on a Vic-20, but I had no idea what to do with it and neither did he.

Not long after and the first one I can remember for sure is SubLogic FS 2 on the C64. I definitely remember trying to shot down the double lines that were enemy planes in that arena.

I also remember when the crop dusting mode was introduced in a later version. I got a kick out of that.

Yup, you're right.  I was going off the top of my head and at first I thought KB but I thought "nah, it couldn't have been that small."  It was indeed.  :smile:

Apple II E, long time. How things have changed! As I recall, that 2E cost about $2,000 at the time. Lot of money then. Still, 2 grand will buy a nice machine today. All things being relative.

Steve

Since MSFS 1.0 or 2.0, about 1993 or so.

Still have the paperwork from the 2E my first real computer.

Since MSFS 3.0, on a Pentium MMX processor @ 233MHZ with 32MB of RAM and 1GB of storage, 1995. I was 5 years old and it was the first computer I saw and used. I'd never forget how I was blown away the first time I saw my dad load it. I later got FS 98 as a gift and then the whole hobby started :).

I typed in a flight simulator program that was in a magazine. Took a few hours but it did work. This was back in the late 80's. I had to add in a pause so that I could go to the fridge for a beer. It was east to do that. FS was about the early 80's. It's all a blurr now.

Jim

CYWG

OK let's get really anal...

MSFSChronology.jpg

Almost 25 years of flightsimming, no wonder one gets het up about certain topics close to the heart!

And a really cheap hobby:

Total cost (Hardware+sims+addons) over that period was about NZD50,000 (a little over USD 40k) which on a per-year basis is not a lot.

Of course the 5 grand worth of addons only happened since FS9, no wonder FSX never stood a chance!

I can't quite remember why, but FS5.1 was a really big step for me, for some reason.

My first sim was FS98. I can't believe how many hours I spent just flying the C172 around Meigs! 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

1980 or 1981 with the Sublogic version that I ran in the computer labs at the University of Wisconsin-Madison...

Scott Robinson

I can't quite remember why, but FS5.1 was a really big step for me, for some reason.

Maybe because it was the first version on CD and included the whole earth.  FS5.1 was a major step for many other reasons but I forget all the new features it offered over FS5.  

To add to the topic I've been simming since 1986.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2