Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

Camera/Viewpoint Utilities for P3Dv2

Greetings,

I recently started some V.A. flying for a bit of a change of pace from my normal flight exploits, and I've started to get into it a bit... in large part because it's brought me back to a very well respected 737 that has sat idle on my computer for some time. That said, I'm in need of some sort of utility for viewpoints and cameras because VC's are not well suited for a hat switch alone.

In X-Plane 10, there's a neat feature built in which allows you to set a virtual cockpit view and "assign" it a hotkey. You can jump around a VC with ease using this feature, and it's far better than manually panning, moving and adjusting eyepoints to get a view of the panel, switch, or gauge you're interested in. I've never really been a VC pilot (*prefer 2D panels), but I'm starting to come around.  Although I'm currently using FSX, I'm keenly awaiting v2.1 and will likely dip my toes back into the water upon its release - so tell me...

Are there any P3Dv2 capable utilities which will allow me to preset a VC viewpoint and quickly pan to that view/location using a simple command? I don't necessarily care about extra "motion effects" and such, the key feature will be the ability to preset views and quickly use them once established.

Thanks for any insights...

-Greg

P3Dv2 when you set up a camera view ( pan to it and set your zoom ) will allow you to save the custom camera as it is, you can use that feature if you wish, just right click to get the drop down menu and you will see the option for custom camera, i dont know if you can assign a key to it but it could suit your needs :)

I dont know how well this feature works as ive never tried it so use at your own risk.

-Paul-

The camera system in FSX/P3D is actually great once you get around to figuring it out.

I have a basic set of views that I use for everything, with slight modifications for specific aircraft.

There are also 10 usable hotkeys available by default. Some are however already assigned to views in the default camera.cfg. This can be changed if you wish.

I also use FSUIPC to directly select the views I have created using the direct "View Camera n" where n is the number assigned to the view.

Here is a great resource for all of the available parameters and what they do.

http://www.fstipsandaddons.com/tutorials/understanding-fsx-cameras.html

For FSX and later.

I'd be happy to go into more detail if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Could also try OPUS

Greetings,

I recently started some V.A. flying for a bit of a change of pace from my normal flight exploits, and I've started to get into it a bit... in large part because it's brought me back to a very well respected 737 that has sat idle on my computer for some time. That said, I'm in need of some sort of utility for viewpoints and cameras because VC's are not well suited for a hat switch alone.

In X-Plane 10, there's a neat feature built in which allows you to set a virtual cockpit view and "assign" it a hotkey. You can jump around a VC with ease using this feature, and it's far better than manually panning, moving and adjusting eyepoints to get a view of the panel, switch, or gauge you're interested in. I've never really been a VC pilot (*prefer 2D panels), but I'm starting to come around.  Although I'm currently using FSX, I'm keenly awaiting v2.1 and will likely dip my toes back into the water upon its release - so tell me...

Are there any P3Dv2 capable utilities which will allow me to preset a VC viewpoint and quickly pan to that view/location using a simple command? I don't necessarily care about extra "motion effects" and such, the key feature will be the ability to preset views and quickly use them once established.

-Greg

-Greg

Greg, we need to make you a believer.

I have the older generation track IR that you can have for really reasonable price and you will, I promise you, never go back to a 2-D cockpit..

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I agree with Chas, as a die hard FS9'er and 2D only user until pretty recently, I could never go back now.

It is a very simple matter to set up the cameras to allow for a near 2D experience in terms of panel access/switching, and the other benefits of the VC are of course maintained as well.

I would maybe say the jump to TIR might be a bit steep right away, but it is certainly an option. 

Regards,

Brian Doney

The camera system in FSX/P3D is actually great once you get around to figuring it out.

Thanks!

I have the older generation track IR that you can have for really reasonable price and you will, I promise you, never go back to a 2-D cockpit.

Ack... never again. :)

I owned TIR in the (recent) past, and goodness gracious it was horrible for me. I know I'm probably one of the very few people (if not the only one) who would actually say that, but I actually used it through the entire 30 days before the return cutoff hit. TIR really didn't do it for me. After tweaking it to high heaven, I still found it too twitchy and unreliable when it came to actually representing where I wanted my viewpoint to be. I know many folks enjoy TIR, but it just wasn't for me.

I'll first look into manually crafting some view options with FSX/P3D as integrated with FSUIPC.... failing that, it might be Opus time I guess. I could use a more modern weather generator as well....  (Was planning ASN, but if I "need" Opus for my views, two birds with one stone?)

-Greg

I will tell ya this much Greg, you can do everything Opus/EZDok does on your own minus the dynamic head movement.

There really is no reason to spend the money just for the camera control, unless you just don''t want to fuss with making your own of course.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Question Greg...did you make the back of your environment absolutely light transmission/emission free??

That is the only thing that makes my TrackIr twitchy...

Offer still goes... No money upfront ...

if you like it ...you can pay me then…

I just want you to enjoy what I do

a ...

virtual panorama!

Virtual thousand inch screen !

IMAX!… It goes on

C

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2