Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

REX4 Textures

It's been released.  Post your experience here. How are those water and sky textures for P3D? Worth the upgrade from REX Essentials?

The other thread about it got deleted pretty quickly .. guess people were upset on the pricing over there .. Lets see if this thread survives (or even this post) !

Lets see those textures, people! Are they as good as the screenshots on the REX website?

The other thread about it got deleted pretty quickly .. guess people were upset on the pricing over there .. Lets see if this thread survives (or even this post) !

Lets see those textures, people! Are they as good as the screenshots on the REX website?

We gave away our products for free to our returning customers for 4 + years straight.

All the REX 4 Direct products are completely brand new designed for 3 different platforms (FSX, P3D1, and P3D2).  The textures alone in REX4 Texture Direct are utilizing new texture enhancements that has never been done. They were made with a completely different process than what our other products were made with.

• Upvote 6

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

My download took a while, but it just finished and I installed the textures. They look even better than the previous REX textures.

Stay tuned,as I want to try a few different combinations with P3d2, to see what looks best.

My download took a while, but it just finished and I installed the textures. They look even better than the previous REX textures.

Stay tuned,as I want to try a few different combinations with P3d2, to see what looks best.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

We gave away our products for free to our returning customers for 4 + years straight.

All the REX 4 Direct products are completely brand new designed for 3 different platforms (FSX, P3D1, and P3D2).  The textures alone in REX4 Texture Direct are utilizing new texture enhancements that has never been done. They were made with a completely different process than what our other products were made with.

Can anyone tell me where can I download it from? Still can't find where it's been released. It says coming soon on the website.

I am not sure I can post the direct links here.  But you can buy it at FlightSimStore.com,  FSPilotShop.com, SImMarket.com, and PCAviator.com (this has not gone live there yet.)

• Upvote 1

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Hi is there a new weather engine  or its only textures   ...

This is ONLY REX4 Texture Direct.   We have two weather engines coming up soon.   One is for REAL weather the other is for those who like to create their  own weather.  No release date on those, but I would expect them very soon ;)

We felt it best to separate the products for several reasons.  One, it is easier to upgrade and advance the products separately and get them out to customers faster.  Secondly, we felt that with an all in one product the settings became overwhelming.  This makes it simiplier to manage for the user.

Though you can use REX4 Texture Direct with ANY weather engine, the new weather engines we are working on will be optimized to take advantage of what REX TD offers.

• Upvote 2

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Downloading now! Screenshots look great and P3Dv2 support looks even better! I will be using this with ASN, in FSX anyway.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I currently have REX+ O/D installed.  Do I need to delete it before installing REX 4?  I don't want to have both installed in order to save space on my SSD.

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Note, this is just a first impression. Well, I just flew the A2A C172 around the Adirondacks in NY and the realism with P3d2 is noticeably better than with the REX Overdrive textures. The water textures/animations even seem a bit better (with mesh at 1 m and tessellation at the max) than either the default or the previous REX textures, but water still seems to be a P3d2 weak spot. It will probably take LM to really improve matters. With OPUSFSX (3.39), the weather looks as realistic as I've seen it in a flight sim. That makes me want to see what ASN can do with P3d2 even more. I'll just have to wait on that, I guess.

There was no discernible hit on frame rates, but I have max textures set to 1024, the cloud draw radius set at 70 miles and the cloud density at the max. My previous experience with 2048 clouds is that my hardware is just too weak to give a decent frame rate at that setting. You GTX 780 and Titan folks might have better luck with 2048 clouds. The P3d2 bloom and HDR effects are noticeable, but make sure that you check the HDR option in the R4TD settings. I'll eventually post some screen shots, but everything looks just like the ones that are posted on the REX website.

Now for the cons. I was a bit taken aback by the lack of stock themes. You basically build your own from scratch and you could just accept all the defaults and save them as a default theme without doing any modification. But without 6 or 8 stock themes to pick from, you are almost forced to wade through all the texture options (clouds, sky, water, runways, lightning, sounds, etc.) and that is probably a good thing. Else, the UI is intuitive and neat, but nothing fancy. Not much in the way of negatives.

I installed R4TD to a separate SSD drive and that seemed to perk up the installation process substantially over the previous REX texture installations, which doodled around compiling things for what seemed like forever. It installed the textures (or backed up the old ones) so fast, I had to check and see if anything really happened to the P3d2 texture files. The file dates were new, so everything worked okay.

I also ran the VRS Superbug FA-18F in FSX (That's all I use FSX for now, with the DX10 fixer, which sort of allows the TacPack stuff to work more or less now in DX10 mode) and the clouds and sky looked pretty good too. Not quite up to P3d2 quality, but then again, nothing is volumetric in FSX land and without the internal and ground shadowing, tessellation, the HDR and other DX11 "goodies", you can't expect a competitive result with FSX. But I'll let others who use FSX extensively comment on the R4TD textures, because I just don't use FSX enough anymore to be credible.

What's still missing from P3d2 to make it more realistic? Better land class and vectors. In this arena, FSX has P3d2 beat up, down an sideways because UTX is substantially more accurate than the default P3d2 land class and vector coverages. ORBX may eventually fix that problem at some point, but why UTX doesn't produce a P3d2 version is beyond me. It would sell like crazy. I'll just have to put up with inaccurate roads, out of date land usages and shorelines that look like they were drawn with an Etch-a-sketch.

Piper9t3, on 20 Dec 2013 - 9:22 PM, said:

I currently have REX+ O/D installed. Do I need to delete it before installing REX 4? I don't want to have both installed in order to save space on my SSD.

I didn't, but only because with any new software, you never know how well it will work.

Note, this is just a first impression. Well, I just flew the A2A C172 around the Adirondacks in NY and the realism with P3d2 is noticeably better than with the REX Overdrive textures. The water textures/animations even seem a bit better (with mesh at 1 m and tessellation at the max) than either the default or the previous REX textures, but water still seems to be a P3d2 weak spot. It will probably take LM to really improve matters. With OPUSFSX (3.39), the weather looks as realistic as I've seen it in a flight sim. That makes me want to see what ASN can do with P3d2 even more. I'll just have to wait on that, I guess.

There was no discernible hit on frame rates, but I have max textures set to 1024, the cloud draw radius set at 70 miles and the cloud density at the max. My previous experience with 2048 clouds is that my hardware is just too weak to give a decent frame rate at that setting. You GTX 780 and Titan folks might have better luck with 2048 clouds. The P3d2 bloom and HDR effects are noticeable, but make sure that you check the HDR option in the R4TD settings. I'll eventually post some screen shots, but everything looks just like the ones that are posted on the REX website.

Now for the cons. I was a bit taken aback by the lack of stock themes. You basically build your own from scratch and you could just accept all the defaults and save them  as a default theme without doing any modification. But without 6 or 8 stock themes to pick from, you are almost forced to wade through all the texture options (clouds, sky, water, runways, lightning, sounds, etc.) and that is probably a good thing. Else, the UI is intuitive and neat, but nothing fancy. Not much in the way of negatives.

I installed R4TD to a separate SSD drive and that seemed to perk up the installation process substantially over the previous REX texture installations, which doodled around compiling things for what seemed like forever. It installed the textures (or backed up the old ones) so fast, I had to check and see if anything really happened to the P3d2 texture files. The file dates were new, so everything worked okay.

I also ran the VRS Superbug FA-18F in FSX (That's all I use FSX for now, with the DX10 fixer, which sort of allows the TacPack stuff to work more or less now in DX10 mode) and the clouds and sky looked pretty good too. Not quite up to P3d2 quality, but then again, nothing is volumetric in FSX land and without the internal and ground shadowing, tessellation, the HDR and other DX11 "goodies", you can't expect a competitive result with FSX. But I'll let others who use FSX extensively comment on the R4TD textures, because I just don't use FSX enough anymore to be credible.

What's still missing from P3d2 to make it more realistic? Better land class and vectors. In this arena, FSX has P3d2 beat up, down an sideways because UTX is substantially more accurate than the default P3d2 land class and vector coverages. ORBX may eventually fix that problem at some point, but why UTX doesn't produce a P3d2 version is beyond me. It would sell like crazy. I'll just have to put up with inaccurate roads, out of date land usages and shorelines that look they were drawn with an Etch-a-sketch. 

I didn't, but only because with any new software, you never know how well it will work. 

In your opinion.. Is what RD does a considerable improvement visually over what RE+OD offers?  It's not $40 worth of textures I'm concerned over.. It's $40 worth of visual improvement..  

Edit: It's not $40, I had my currency set wrong at FSS..   It's $29.95 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors