Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

REX4 Textures

It's not $40 worth of textures I'm concerned over.. It's $40 worth of visual improvement..

Not sure why the other thread disappeared, so hopefully this has nothing to do with it, but echoing a comment I made there....

It's not $40.  At current exchange rates, it's about $29.95 US at flightsimstore, and with $5 off for current REX customers, about $24.95.  Where did this $40 figure come from?

See the screenshots at: http://www.rexdirectexperience.com/

Scott

• Upvote 4

Not sure why the other thread disappeared, so hopefully this has nothing to do with it, but echoing a comment I made there....

It's not $40.  At current exchange rates, it's about $29.95 US at flightsimstore, and with $5 off for current REX customers, about $24.95.  Where did this $40 figure come from?

See the screenshots at: 

Scott

Doh.. I wasn't trying to slight REX in price..  Just went to FSS and noticed the currency was set at AUS... 

Thanks for pointing this out.. Huge difference.. 

Edit: It's actually $34.96 - $5.00 = 29.96.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I can tell you already that in FSX, the "Clashing Waves" texture in REX Direct is even better than the classic "Sparkling" texture in the old REX. Also DXT1 wave animation is much improved visually!

bSc4p.jpg

• Upvote 1

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Doh.. I wasn't trying to slight REX in price.. Just went to FSS and noticed the currency was set at AUS...

Thanks for pointing this out.. Huge difference..

Where is this $5.00 for current customers I see nothing of it?

No worries, Bill.  In the other thread it was $50!

From the Flightsimstore page: Existing REX Essential and REX Essential PLUS OverDrive customers will receive a $5.00 USD discount on checkout!

Scott

No worries, Bill.  In the other thread it was $50!

From the Flightsimstore page: Existing REX Essential and REX Essential PLUS OverDrive customers will receive a $5.00 USD discount on checkout!

Scott

Yeah I figured it out.. See my edit on your previous reply.. It's actually a bit different but still good nonetheless.

I'll wait for a few more opinions.. I loved RE textures, so I have faith in their work.. Just I'm very tight on cash so any money I do spend I'm overly nitpicky over.  :lol:

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

In your opinion.. Is what RD does a considerable improvement visually over what RE+OD offers?  It's not $40 worth of textures I'm concerned over.. It's $40 worth of visual improvement..  

Edit: It's not $40, I had my currency set wrong at FSS..   It's $29.95 

Since I see that you are from NJ, this is somewhat like asking if Robinson Cano is worth $240M.  It's all about supply and demand. Flight simming has become such a niche market, that the price of everything has been increasing at an alarming rate.Nowadays, if you see an add-on for less than $20 US, it's usually either a dog or it's on sale, probably because it's old. The Rex 4 textures may come down in price if the demand is weak, but I doubt that will happen. If you're on the fence, you probably should wait. There's a lot of other potential add-ons lurking out there in the near future and they aren't going to be cheap either.

Like many other people, I never used REX Essentials with Overdrive for anything more than the textures, so I may have never gotten my money's worth. But I think that it's worth the money, especially when combined with P3d2 and solid weather engine.

Since I see that you are from NJ, this is somewhat like asking if Robinson Cano is worth $240M.  It's all about supply and demand. Flight simming has become such a niche market, that the price of everything has been increasing at an alarming rate.Nowadays, if you see an add-on for less than $20 US, it's usually either a dog or it's on sale, probably because it's old. The Rex 4 textures may come down in price if the demand is weak, but I doubt that will happen. If you're on the fence, you probably should wait. There's a lot of other potential add-ons lurking out there in the near future and they aren't going to be cheap either.

Like many other people, I never used REX Essentials with Overdrive for anything more than the textures, so I may have never gotten my money's worth. But I think that it's worth the money, especially when combined with P3d2 and solid weather engine.

Thank you. . I too also only use RE for textures only and skip all the rest so your review and opinion is very much appreciated.  As I expressed in a previous reply.. My cash is very tight and very picky about what money I do spend. I'm unfortunately not as financially gifted as I was a few years ago. 

I'm also not ignoring all the free upgrades etc REX have given my original purchase.. :) 

All the REX 4 Direct products are completely brand new designed for 3 different platforms (FSX, P3D1, and P3D2).  

Hi Reed. Thanks for taking the time for posting in this forum. I see mention that you say "............designed for 3 different platforms". Could you please explain the differences that the textures use between these 3 different platforms. Or are we talking about only  "brand new textures that work across all three platforms" (much like your current textures)? To put it simply, is there anything you have taken advantage of within the P3Dv2 SDK that warrants continued investment for P3D. Make sense? I hope so. 

Edit: It's actually $34.96 - $5.00 = 29.96..

In US dollars, it's approximately USD$29.96, minus $5.  Set the value to US currency, as what you quote is Australian.  This is an approximation, as the actual exchange rate is done as your card is charged, but it's close.

Scott

In US dollars, it's approximately USD$29.96, minus $5.  Set the value to US currency, as what you quote is Australian.  This is an approximation, as the actual exchange rate is done as your card is charged, but it's close.

Scott

Hiya Scott. There definitely seems to be some confusion about what people are seeing..   :lol:  Believe me, not trying to argue with you. 

* - That Storebucks isn't added until the very very end.. So that's not part of the calculation here.  

s4QR4Gx.jpg

I've just downloaded REX4 Textures and just started reading the manual.

This is one of the first things mentioned as far as P3D2 is concerned.

As of this writing (December 2013), Prepar3D v.2 contains some bugs that inhibit proper visual
representation with certain settings, however, we’re confident that these bugs will be worked out by the
Lockheed Martin development team.

Can someone explain exactly what problem this refers to and how much of a problem it may be.

Thanks.

Blackrat

Well, I've asked Reed a couple of questions earlier in this thread, so let's hope that he pops back in and provides an answer to our questions.

Hi Reed. Thanks for taking the time for posting in this forum. I see mention that you say "............designed for 3 different platforms". Could you please explain the differences that the textures use between these 3 different platforms. Or are we talking about only  "brand new textures that work across all three platforms" (much like your current textures)? To put it simply, is there anything you have taken advantage of within the P3Dv2 SDK that warrants continued investment for P3D. Make sense? I hope so. 

Yes they are designed to take advantage of the benefits of each platform; especially, the water, wave, and runway textures in which we have included specifically DX11 textures.  Also, the water class has been modified to fix an problem that has been an issue with FSX from day one.

The goal of REX Texture Direct was to make it simple to use.  From our last releases we realized people want to fly not sit and color and test and color and test.  

Though we did not include texture sets pre-made, we did provide a RANDOMIZE feature that is available on the MY THEMES window.  Of course there are Community Themes as well as Weather Based themes.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

I can tell you already that in FSX, the "Clashing Waves" texture in REX Direct is even better than the classic "Sparkling" texture in the old REX. Also DXT1 wave animation is much improved visually!

Posted Image

Pic looks superb. Is that P3D?

Pardon my total ignorance. Any clashes with FTX Global textures at all? Can the two packs work ok side by side?

Sent from my Mobile thing