Sign in to follow this  
TurbofanDude

FSX Windows 8.1 Silent Crash

Hi guys,

Normally, I can find an answer prior to posting a topic, however, this one is stumping me. I have Windows 8.1 x64 with updated (one shy of latest) NVIDIA drivers for my GTX 670 and 8GB of RAM. I can't seem to be able to get through a whole flight. I get about an hour or so in and the sim freezes and silently closes (no exception, no crash message, no event viewer log, nothing).

I was flying the NGX both times and running Squawkbox externally (all internal modules removed from the dll.xml) - only running the Addon Manager (bglmanx) and FSUIPC4 (and of course, the NGX modules). Any suggestions on debugging?

Collin Biedenkapp
Chief Executive Officer
TFDi Design (Invernyx) | Website

Looks like you have this covered as you are now running Squawkbox externally but just to be sure, if you are running Squawkbox internally there is a bug when you receive a private message FSX freezes, goes black, and crashes.  This same type of crash will occur when you run out of Virtual Address Space (VAS), especially on long flights.  You can open up your FSUIPC.log after the crash to see if you were getting any out-of-memory (it means VAS) warnings.  If you have the uiautomationcore.dll installed in the main fsx folder, remove it to a temporary folder (it did not prevent your crashes).  Some have indicated this module is not compatible with Windows 8 and many here in this CTD Forum have indicated they fixed their crashes by removing this module.  It may also be a sharing issue.  I heard Windows 8 has much more security and it may not like some of these old programs you are trying to run.  If you have an anti-virus program installed, make sure fsx and everything else involved with fsx is allowed to run.  Look in your quarantine folder or location (I admit I know little about anti-virus programs as I have never used one) for anything fsx related that your anti-virus program might have decided not to allow to be installed.

Make sure you download and run AppCrashView as suggested in the AVSIM CTD Guide (link there).  There could have been other crashes.

Best regards,

Jim 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10