Sign in to follow this  
Wotaplonker

EGPN runway 09 approach turbulence

Anyone else encountered this freaky turbulence a few miles out on finals?

FSX Acceleration exhibits this annoying behaviour with every weather condition except clear skies and even with AS2012.

Seems to have carried on into P3D v2 also so ruins operations in/out of this airport.

Do you have the wake turbulence option enabled in AS? That might be the cause of your problem.

Anyone else encountered this freaky turbulence a few miles out on finals?

This is an easy one to solve.

I loaded up the airport, slewed a few miles back from runway 10, turned on Thermal Visualizations to Schematic so that you can see the thermals, and indeed there are a lot of default thermals built into the scenery around the airport, including a few in the approach patch to runway 10.

To fix this, you can do either of the following.

1. Go into the Setting - Display/Weather tab and uncheck the box in Simulation settings that says "Disable turbulence and thermal effetcs on aircraft"

or 

2, Leave that box checked so that you can still have turbulence, but go into the root FSX folder and find the file called ThermalDescriptions.xml and rename it to ThermalDescriptions.off. What this will do is turn off all the preset FSX thermals that are in front of many runways in FSX but still leave you to be able to experience turbulence.

Personally I have found option #2 to be the best option since I dont like the default thermal effects and would rather rely on the ones produced by ASN or AS2012. Plus, by doing number #2, I am still able to get turbulence from AS2012 or ASN.

Try this and it should fix your problem. There are a few airports I had the exact same problem with on approach. Off the top of my head was one placed in front of a runway at KPHX, one at KDAL, and one in front of the runway at LSGG. Anytime I flew into one of those airports and hit that preset thermal in front of the runway it would totally ruin my approach.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

@cmpbellsjc

Many thanks for your suggestions.

I chose option 2 and can confirm it solved my issue in FSX Acceleration and P3D v2.

It's only been 7 years I've put up with this and yes it is runway 10 not 09 duh!

Best wishes for Christmas and have a Happy New Year.

@cmpbellsjc

Many thanks for your suggestions.

I chose option 2 and can confirm it solved my issue in FSX Acceleration and P3D v2.

It's only been 7 years I've put up with this and yes it is runway 10 not 09 duh!

Glad to hear option #2 fixed it for you. I put up with it for a few years as well and could never understand what was happening to me on approach to the few airports I mention above. Then one day I got the idea to turn on thermal visualizations so that I could see where the thermals were. Sure enough Aces put some right in front of the runways I had always been having issues with. However I didn't want to turn off the turbulence also, so I tried renaming the thermaldescriptions file I mentioned and sure enough problem solved. Still had turbulence, but no more problems.

Best wishes for Christmas and have a Happy New Year.

Thanks, you as well. Happy flying!!

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator