Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Giving a fair view to both weather injectors Opus/Active Sky Next

I just came off a three hour same-loaded flight plan in both weather injectors, and my personal opinion on the matter is...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They both have great strengths, they have different features, and how they arrive at giving you custom atmospherics.  They both DO NOT duplicate the exact same rendered atmospheric scenario. No sir. Not with an apples to apples loaded flight plan comparison of the sky being rendered and atmospheric effects enacting upon the flight path, and air frame. They give you quantitatively, different output and end results.  

I am not saying that one is better than the other, because that truly is not helpful to any other user.  Who am I to make that judgement to influence another's opinion, and possible purchase? That is not fair to either developer,...they are each, offering a great product. If I have so implied one over the other as perceived by any other community member, then I offer an apology today, and intend not to project that into the future. That was a disservice in hindsight, and again...a personal apology is being offered.

I own both, and will no longer publicly say which one I use more often...as it really doesn't matter to the community at large, what I do in this regard. I do what I do for myself, and that's that.

I'll let other users read reviews, as I will, and let them make up their own minds what interests them, and for THEIR reasons...not mine.  I intend to do that with scenery, as well as weather injectors, and airplanes in the future. I think we all should. You can say that you like using a product, but not make it a 'join me' in this effort. Not fair to developers, and perhaps not truly in the best interests of us all, at large. I think the use of a PM message is great for that purpose, if somebody should really want your personal opinion on the merits of one item of same ilk over the other.  That is different, and is one-on-one.

I just wanted to be fair now, and into the future for all the great efforts presently from developers that have product offerings on any platform, for purchase or freeware, and into the great future of our hobby.

The heavy Opus/ASN comparison threads (with my involvement right in there too and guilty as anybody else...!) was for myself an 'this is better than that' eye opener. Let each user decide,non-loaded by other user's personal opinion(s) and or agenda, for themselves.  This mandate might not sit well with others, but for myself, is personally viewed as again; fairness and respect to all other community members, and the development community at large.

Cheers!

Sesquashtoo

I can only agree with you. I also have both and refrain from saying which gets more airtime...

A

Huh!  I actually thought you were going to do a comparison, show screenshots or something.  

Why write a long statement to say you are not going to say anything except they are different?  I am confused, sorry.

Thank goodness we live in a free democratic world where one can (within reason) express their views.  I personally have REX weather.  I like it.  But I don't like the stutters that sometimes happen during weather injection. I am wondering about investing in another weather injector and I don't know if it is worth it to spend any more money.  So I value folks opinion, this one over that one because of these reasons, then I will decide on my own whether those opinions have any value to me.

"Not fair to developers".  Also confusing.  So if a product is very poor in quality to another, or one is of superb quality in your opinion then we should not say anything about one or the other?  I personally value comparisons and opinions of products.  This is how I learn, form opinion, make decisions and judgements.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

just came off a three hour same-loaded flight plan in both weather injectors

Mm.  Did you use historic time so both flights would have had the same weather?  Sometimes an hour can make a world of difference.

When I was fine tuning AS2012, I did 10 to 20 flights with the same flight plan and historical weather set to the same time.  After that I had a good idea how to set up the options to get the best weather.  An hour difference could mean that I was landing in snow or fog rather than under simple overcast skies, or that storms in the distance would stop.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Huh!  I actually thought you were going to do a comparison, show screenshots or something.  

Why write a long statement to say you are not going to say anything except they are different?  I am confused, sorry.

Thank goodness we live in a free democratic world where one can (within reason) express their views.  I personally have REX weather.  I like it.  But I don't like the stutters that sometimes happen during weather injection. I am wondering about investing in another weather injector and I don't know if it is worth it to spend any more money.  So I value folks opinion, this one over that one because of these reasons, then I will decide on my own whether those opinions have any value to me.

"Not fair to developers".  Also confusing.  So if a product is very poor in quality to another, or one is of superb quality in your opinion then we should not say anything about one or the other?  I personally value comparisons and opinions of products.  This is how I learn, form opinion, make decisions and judgements.

Bryan

I agree.. The only reason I clicked on this is because I will eventually need an injector for P3D v2 and once REX comes out with theirs I'm going to start narrowing down my decision of where to spend my money.  

There is a very fair way to compare products and let the reader make their own decision without even having to enter your own.. Pleading the fifth and making no comparisons just doesn't let anyone make any decisions or conclusions at all. There is just nothing here.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I don't care about developer ego's and being fair....   I only care about what makes my sim time a better experience.  have three weather programs installed.. 

Opus, AS2012 and ASN

I am using ASN with AS2012 for textures, this comes after using OPUS exclusively since it's release.    I feel ASN is a game changer.. Now I can't fly my 172 into a thunderstorm because  with ASN I will get tossed out of the sky.  

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I don't care about developer ego's and being fair....   I only care about what makes my sim time a better experience.  

Exactly since they both are payware.

Comparisons and opinions of what's good and what's not about a product are totally fine as long as there is something real to back it up. Just being a "fan" of a company and by default then loving every product they make no matter what doesn't help.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I can only agree with you. I also have both and refrain from saying which gets more airtime...

A

Why? Since when is it against the "rules" to have an opinion? Just tell us which one you prefer.

Great, I'm glad we got that out of the way.

So which one do you prefer?

Comparisons and opinions of what's good and what's not about a product are totally fine as long as there is something real to back it up. Just being a "fan" of a company and by default then loving every product they make no matter what doesn't help.

I am not a fan of any company, these guys are not my friends... They provide a product and if it is good I use it.    I used AS2012 until OPUS came out..   I felt opus was a big step up in overcast conditions so I bought that and used it until ASN..   Right now I feel ASN is the best injector out there, as I have said before for the first time the weather matters.  I can't just go fly into a TS...    Maybe a year from now another company will come along and make something better...  All I know is fairness is not a criteria I use when telling people how I feel about a product. 

"fan" is thrown around way too much now.  Stating a product is better in your opinion or has some new features does not make you a "fan"

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

So which one do you prefer?

Try them all and you tell us which one YOU prefer.

For someone on a limited wanting to know which one they should buy, this thead is about as useful as asking some random person on the street "Which weather injector is best for Flight Simulator?" and then taking their confused "A Flight What-combobulator?" as "THEY ARE ALL TEH SAME"

I am not a fan of any company, these guys are not my friends... They provide a product and if it is good I use it.    I used AS2012 until OPUS came out..   I felt opus was a big step up in overcast conditions so I bought that and used it until ASN..   Right now I feel ASN is the best injector out there, as I have said before for the first time the weather matters.  I can't just go fly into a TS...    Maybe a year from now another company will come along and make something better...  All I know is fairness is not a criteria I use when telling people how I feel about a product.

I totally agree and this is the likely path for me too. I had AS2012 until Opus. I was giving Opus some more revisions to see if they could match ASN and that doesn't look like it's happening until OpusFSI at the earliest so now it's just trying to find another $30 in the Xmas budget for ASN.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

ASN has it right now  // Competition is great, why it so fierce with weather engines in MSFS I am a little perplexed about but after several years of 'almost there' weather depiction, as we enter 2014 we are finally here!