Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Giving a fair view to both weather injectors Opus/Active Sky Next

After just completing LGAV - EDFH - LGAV with  PMDG 737NGX and some bad weather around I definitely like the ASN best. 

For someone on a limited wanting to know which one they should buy, this thead is about as useful as asking some random person on the street "Which weather injector is best for Flight Simulator?" and then taking their confused "A Flight What-combobulator?" as "THEY ARE ALL TEH SAME"

After many threads about the topic at hand it is pretty obvious that almost everyone in this thread has missed the point of the OP's first post.

After many threads about the topic at hand it is pretty obvious that almost everyone in this thread has missed the point of the OP's first post.

LOL that IS exactly the point Jim.  Why say anything.  I certainly didn't miss the point.  There is no point.  Unless saying "I tried these two types of software and just so you know, they are different" is supposed to inform us, and as poster #4 says that perhaps he needed to use historic time to ensure the same conditions.  Sorry if I'm sounding harsh but I was not following threads on comparisons until this one which has a title that indicates a potential comparison of interest to me and ended up saying nothing except a long winded story of why nothing was going to said.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I certainly didn't miss the point.  There is no point.

Sorry, but you did miss the point because in paragraphs 1-3 there are points made.

You also needed to have followed about the 3 other gushing threads by the same poster on this very topic.

Then if you followed everything that was posted before this, then it would be clearer.

No, this thread cannot be made sense of without knowing what has come before it.

Try them all and you tell us which one YOU prefer.

Because I already have ASN (got the AS2012 user pricing), and I don't need two weather engines.

If people have both, I'd love to hear their honest opinions. So far, all I've seen are 1) people who only have one or the other program and yet claim that their product is superior, 2) people who have both products, compare them, and declare a clear winner, but do it without screenshots, and 3) people who have both products and compare them but decline to state their opinion.

Yes, we know it's subjective, but so are most third party add-on reviews.

No, this thread cannot be made sense of without knowing what has come before it.

There you go then.

Because I already have ASN (got the AS2012 user pricing), and I don't need two weather engines.

If people have both, I'd love to hear their honest opinions. So far, all I've seen are 1) people who only have one or the other program and yet claim that their product is superior, 2) people who have both products, compare them, and declare a clear winner, but do it without screenshots, and 3) people who have both products and compare them but decline to state their opinion.

Yes, we know it's subjective, but so are most third party add-on reviews.

Me to.  I have REX.  Give me your best shot.  I don't like the way REX stutters when injecting weather.  Hoping to hear about the other leading weather injectors to determine if I should PayPal my way into another weather program.

Near CAM3

There you go then.

All the other gushing threads are there for anyone to read. They are not going anywhere. You are trying to figure out the end of the story without reading the beginning and middle.

Then why do you care about this thread anyway?

And that, so clearly defined, is the most prevalent issue here on a public forum like this.  Few of us have the time or patience to follow in their entirety a host of topics, many by the same OP, just to keep context for the latest topic or posts.  This is one of my hobbies, not my life.  

In so many cases the horse is already long-since dead!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I currently still have Opus. I tried ASN for the 7 day trial. Based on my experience during that 7 days of ASN plus the latest updates from Opus, ASN is the better weather engine. Why? Because ASN, for the first time ever in FS, gives me a "smooth" experience from departure to arrival. I experienced no sudden violent wind shifts(something no one solved before ASN). I experienced no cloud popping(something no one solved before ASN). These are the two big winners for me and what will ultimately make me jump to ASN here soon.

Sorry, no pics as my trial is done. But, they both depicted or told FSX to draw the weather beautifully.

Also sorry if that's not detailed or good enough of a review but again, IMO and for what I'm looking for in a weather engine, ASN is the best right now - period.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I currently still have Opus. I tried ASN for the 7 day trial. Based on my experience during that 7 days of ASN plus the latest updates from Opus, ASN is the better weather engine. Why? Because ASN, for the first time ever in FS, gives me a "smooth" experience from departure to arrival. I experienced no sudden violent wind shifts(something no one solved before ASN). I experienced no cloud popping(something no one solved before ASN). These are the two big winners for me and what will ultimately make me jump to ASN here soon.

Sorry, no pics as my trial is done. But, they both depicted or told FSX to draw the weather beautifully.

Also sorry if that's not detailed or good enough of a review but again, IMO and for what I'm looking for in a weather engine, ASN is the best right now - period.

Now that's what I'm talking about.  Thank you Kevin.

Near CAM3

I also think too that I have seen so many posts that hit it right too and echo my experience. I was an AS user(ASE, AS2012) then I switched to Opus a little over a year ago. Now, after ASN trial, I will be switching to them once I find room in the budget. That in and of itself says something.

I've seen a lot of these types of posts. There are very few that say they are sticking with Opus because Opus is still better. The ones that seem to be staying with it are either like me(waiting for budget constraints) or just devoted to Opus and giving them time. I'm sure there are some that generally feel Opus is plain better still but I think it's safe to say that if someone is trying to be non-biased, and you remove DHM/cameras from the equation, ASN has surpassed Opus for now.

*** I guess I should add the disclaimer to this...this latest paragraph is just my perception based on what I have read over the past 2 weeks here on the forum.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

You also needed to have followed about the 3 other gushing threads by the same poster on this very topic.

I have NO Idea what you're talking about.  Why don't you just spell it out.  Yeah, I went searching for posts and topics and I still can't figure it out.  So, if you have a point to make, then make it.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

By cloud popping do people mean when the weather is updated and the clouds change rapidly? Or is it something else?

I have NO Idea what you're talking about. Why don't you just spell it out. Yeah, I went searching for posts and topics and I still can't figure it out. So, if you have a point to make, then make it.

Hook

He usually doesn't

By cloud popping do people mean when the weather is updated and the clouds change rapidly? Or is it something else?

Yes. That is exactly what we mean.

It totally detracts from the immersion when you can see a cloud deck ahead of you on your descent or you are already in a cloud deck and then all of sudden, the weather is clear or that cloud deck moves 10 miles to the east or something. Totally unrealistic. ASN doesn't have these issues and that, along with no wind shifts(where the winds will also change a large amount on an update) are what make ASN the better choice right now.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Then why do you care about this thread anyway?

I bought ASN. I didn't marry it.

If another weather engine is better, I want to hear about it. As my teenage daughter would say, "Duhhh!"