Sign in to follow this  

Two questions

1. Is it me or does it seem that anisotropic filtering, which I have at 16x, isn't working as well as it should (see screenshot below)?

2. At this altitude (during descend) I can very clearly and obviously see where the autogen loads and it loads in rather large blocks too. There is a constant update of autogen blocks going on in the distance during descend. Do you also see autogen popping up in blocks at this altitude and at that distance when you fly in your sim?

It's been a while since I flew in FSX and I am beginning to wonder if either I am getting too much used to the new autogen system so I don't appreciate the improvement anymore (if you know what I mean) or I am missing the improvement completely? When flying really low I don't notice the popping up as much, of course, but during regular flight, it's very obvious and noticable so I am beginning to wonder if this is normal or not: it's beginning to look like that new not popping up autogen system isn't working at all...?

11477677746_7726d04374_o.jpg

I see the same thing as well. This is a total guess on my part but I believe this is totally normal because at low altitudes, you don't see as far in the distance and the autogen is able to load enough objects so that they do not pop up constantly in front of you.

At higher altitudes, autogen is not able to load objects as far as you can see so it ends up loading them in big blocks as you get closer

For me at least, the popping of autogen objects is much more disturbing at low altitudes than at higher altitudes so I'm quite happy with the way P3d handles autogen at low altitudes. But as I said earlier, I'm really just guessing but overall, I find P3d immensely superior to FSX when it comes to autogen

Hmmm, well, so far for the none popping up autogen, then...? Why call it 'pop free autogen' when it still pops? And how come a lot of users keep on saying they don't see any popup...?

I was thinking the same thing a week ago and thought something was wrong. Then I loaded up FSX, and the difference is night and day. It would be nice if we had an lod type of control for the autogen.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Talking about non popping autogens, I found that I hardly see any popping in Ms Flight, and its a dx9 graphic engine.

Then I loaded up FSX, and the difference is night and day.

Ok, so when I said "either I am getting too much used to the new autogen system so I don't appreciate the improvement anymore" I was probably right...? You get used to certain things that are GREAT and once you are used to them, they become normal and you start to see things that aren't really great about it.

Come on, LM, gives us alpha fading!!! ^_^

Ok, so when I said "either I am getting too much used to the new autogen system so I don't appreciate the improvement anymore" I was probably right...? You get used to certain things that are GREAT and once you are used to them, they become normal and you start to see things that aren't really great about it.

Come on, LM, gives us alpha fading!!! ^_^

The question is, how can you easily update all SDL_Surface, each one

independently?

The answer is, by recoding.....how long are you welling to wait for this.

I too have noticed the autogen popping. I've noticed that if I lower my scenery texture resolution the radius where the popping occurs gets farther and farther away. If the texture resolution is set low enough, the popping is pretty much so far away I can't see it, though the ground looks awful. I had put this down to just not having enough vram(2gb) for the Sim to handle all the demands I was making of it. Is it likely that something more complicated is the issue?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah I have seen this too. There is no popping of autogen up close, but in the distance you can see them all popping up. Certainly not perfect. I think the idea for LM though,  as a professional application, you should be focusing more on the gauges. :P

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

This is definitely a case of you got way to used to the new platform. In FSX it looks like someone is carpet bombing the area directly around you with with auto-gen shells. I can't go back to that. V2 is superior.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

This is definitely a case of you got way to used to the new platform. In FSX it looks like someone is carpet bombing the area directly around you with with auto-gen shells.

LOL I guess that's true indeed.  ^_^  I think what also made it more apparent to me was that I am used to flying in Norway and also did so in the beginning with FTXG and some freeware: you can hardly see in the distance there so you don't see any popup! Lately, because I don't have that freeware installed, I've been flying in other places which also have far more open terrain like on the screenshot and that's why I started to notice this. So now I am flying in the PNW area and southern Alaska (I installed FTX in the meantime without using the Orbx trees) which looks better with default landclass than for instance Norway, and the problem with the autogen is almost 'gone' again. ^_^

It's a bit sad, really, how quickly you get used to something and tend to forget how bad it was before (with FSX)... :mellow: Anyway, I just have to ga back to those places I really like to fly in and that 'solves' the problem for me!  ^_^  It still would be great if LM could make the autogen even better in the future!