Sign in to follow this  
Hangman

What is this circus?

Hi

I'm a long, long time user of AVSIM. I've had an account for the library in some shape or form for the past 10 years and predominantly lurk on the forums. It's very rare I'll write a complaint but in this instance I feel compelled. I've just read this thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/429076-is-here-any-fsx-programmer-who-makes-my-b747-wheels-like-this/page-3 and have to express my disgust at the cynical, unhelpful and down-right outrageous way in which the OP was treated by all, including the head of this forum.

I think it was absolutely the opposite of how a community such as this should be approaching new members, especially when there are such concerns over simulator enthusiast numbers as they continue to fall.

Please can you rethink the way that you handle such threads and instead of joining in with the members in their cynical lust for troll-blood, take a slightly more liberal attitude towards somebody who was obviously needing assistance.

Seriously... get a grip!

I concur. This is simply outrageous. This behavior reminds me of those low-life idiots which have nothing better to do then bullying everybody.

Like the OP, I don't post much, but this got my blood boiling. One must be afraid to ask any kind of questions here or fear to be trampled to the ground by those all-knowing gobshites.

I thought we already discussed this thread and it has lead to the opening of the Newcomers Forum.

I thought we already discussed this thread and it has lead to the opening of the Newcomers Forum.

We have and good came of that thread. Why now all the grating of teeth I can't answer, but good did come of it so that we possibly prevent this from happening again.

Hi Tom,

I am grateful for your reply and that you agree that it was unacceptable. I fully support the action you have taken to prevent this from happening again, and was previously unaware of that this had taken place, (I don't read every thread).

Best regards and Merry Christmas

We have and good came of that thread. Why now all the grating of teeth I can't answer, but good did come of it so that we possibly prevent this from happening again.

I can only figure that it is Saturday, and maybe some haven't been visiting during the week to have any idea what has occurred over the past few days.

I had a week old post of mine dragged up today in similar fashion, completely out of context and with no regard for anything said/done since.

Out of context with the changes you've made, that thread is pretty grating though, so it's understandable.

Who knows though.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Referring to that thread, I don't think members should be allowed to accuse other members of being trolls on avsim. It should be made explicitly against the terms of service. Some people seem to use "troll" for anyone who they disagree with or who annoys them. I was accused of trolling here recently purely because I disagreed with the thread starter. It's a very inflammatory insult to have to take.

If someone has a problem with another member's posts then they should report the issue and let the moderators take action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ki9cAAb.jpg

Referring to that thread, I don't think members should be allowed to accuse other members of being trolls on avsim. It should be made explicitly against the terms of service. Some people seem to use "troll" for anyone who they disagree with or who annoys them. I was accused of trolling here recently purely because I disagreed with the thread starter. It's a very inflammatory insult to have to take.

If someone has a problem with another member's posts then they should report the issue and let the moderators take action.

I second that! 

Or simply ignore it... Or block the member's posts.

I don't think members should be allowed to accuse other members of being trolls on avsim. It should be made explicitly against the terms of service.

No, please don't! As good and reasonable as this looks at the first glance, this is actually not a good idea: They'll just use other words, and trust me, they will always find words that are not yet forbidden, and remembering all the forbidden words (and perhaps in which context these words might still be allowed) is impossible.

I think it is much more reasonable to simply remind everyone to respect the other's opinions, even if they disagree, and encourage everyone to report offensive posts.

I think it is much more reasonable to simply remind everyone to respect the other's opinions, even if they disagree, and encourage everyone to report offensive posts.

Agreed. We do not need more rules to enforce, remind folks of, and cajole to abide by. Be an adult and take responsibility for your words and actions. Give people the respect you would expect and life will be "happy, happy, happy" as some would say. And when in doubt... HIT THE REPORT BUTTON!

I agree we don't need a new rule, but I think the existing rule "Behavior and Your Actions" could be enhanced by specifically excluding the use of this term, which falls outside the current definitions. It's not a profanity and it's not bigotry. The part about varying social norms is rather too vague. In an internet forum it's a very serious accusation. So serious it should be stated to be unacceptable. If it's explicitly referred to in the ToS people will have no excuse about not understanding the limits.

If you don't want to specifically exclude "accusations of trolling" perhaps you could add "use of inflammatory language" to the list of unacceptable actions which are mentioned in the rule.

ki9cAAb.jpg